IGNORED

Riding in the States, a newbie question

damoace

Hello All,

A newbie question,

Well, loads of questions really but starting with the most important.

How easy would it be for UK couple to hire an RT or GS in the States?

We got to organising our holidays for 2008 today and it all kicks off with a trip to California/Nevada in Feb. I want to see the Hoover Dam, Death Valley, The Nasa site at Ames maybe and Bonnevile (depending on time and mileage) plus anything else that looks like fun. We got as far as flying into Las Vegas and renting a car before the idea of hiring a GS sparked into the small ball of grey mush I use for a brain.

Now, that could be easier said than done so i'd thought i'd ask people who may know for sure.

I looked up dealers and came out of BMW Motorcyles of Las Vegas. I'll email them anyway but anyone know the dealership at all?

Many Thanks in advance

Damoace

Whaddya reckon? Doable or pie in the sky dreaming?

Welcome!

Also, do some research on weather at that time of year for the areas you intend to travel.

Getting to Bonneville in particular could be doubtful at that time of year on a bike due to snow covered roads and the potential for extremely cold temperatures.

Paul, SageRider,

Thanks for the welcome guy's. All info about the area and seasonal weather is greatfully recieved.

I'm starting to get the route worked out, and get some info on stuff thats going on too.

I think we'll get a couple of weeks out of this trip. Minus 3 or 4 days to do non-bike things, it should leave us 10days or so for riding around doing cool stuff. thumbsup.gif

Damoace..

Forget Bonneville in Feb/Mar...the salt is under water, it nevers dries out until late May or June. Racing there never happens until August anyway..WSB is close by in late May though.(Miller motorsports park)

Most mountain passes are open, but may close at last minute due to storms.

Nasa/Ames has a cool visitor center, but I'm not sure that they will let you on site to check out other stuff such as wind tunnels, simulators, etc.. San Francisco and the wine country (Sonoma) would be a great place to visit while you are nearby.

Vegas rents bikes, they can be as much as 125.00us/day, plus insurance and

possibly mileage..No lack of entertainment in this town.

Death Valley is awesome...the Airheads BMW group has a meet there in February each year..

Good luck,

MB>

Hi MB,

Thanks for the Bonneville tip, if it's a wet lake in Feb, theres not much point in going there. And its a good excuse with the wife to come back again (preferably during speed week to see the 200+ cars run). But this year I'm restricted to travelling to the US in February so I have to make the best of that window.

You mention an airhead meet in Feb? any idea whenabouts in Feb? or a linky-link to thier website?

I have to say again that all the help from you guy's is much appreciated. If I get to meet anyone, I'll deffo be buying the beers!... smile.gif:)

All your going to find is Harleys and metrics. I searched and called a bunch of companies and was told nobody rents Beemers. There was one company trying but it was going to be awhile. bncry.gif

Eaglerider rents BMW's at Long Beach BMW, about 30 miles from LAX. Eaglerider also has a shop(Harley) next door to LAX with a shuttle bus. They can probably have a BMW delivered from Long Beach. Every time I've been at the LAX shop, they've had a store full of European tourists getting fitted for gear.

Archived