IGNORED

2008 Trip Advise, Part Two, Las Vegas to San Luis Obispo

Keith S

The second part of the trip starts at Vegas and goes to San Luis Obispo.

parttwopq8.jpg

Not to offend anyone but I don't want to go anywhere near Los Angeles, that is why I want to cut across to San Luis Obispo and catch the #1 coast highway north.

Is this the best route? Or would it be better to go north through Death Valley. This will be the second week in June so local temps may be a factor.

bestrouteqt1.jpg

Thanks!!

Keith

If you are going to use CA58, then stay on it right on thru Buttonwillow over to SLO....a great two laner...your other route not as good.

Death Valley in June will be warm but not unbearably hot- take the secenic route thru DV then 178 thru Lake Isabella towards Bakersfield- but do not miss 58 to the coast, a truly great MC road!

wave.gif

Leo Schamblin

Keith

Look at going north to Pahrump and then through death valley to Ridgecrest, and then 178 through the Kern Canyon to Bakersfield. If you have not been there Death Valley is very interesting. From Bakersfield to the coast hiway 58 can't be beat. Temps in Death Valley in early June should not be too bad. Let me know if I can be of help.

Leo

I agree with most of the advice, but in my experience, DV can be damn hot anytime in June. Rules can be broken, but my rule is June, July or August, a blast across the desert is done early, early a.m.

Furnace Creek, average high, low and precip:

May 99.3 70.7 0.07"

June 109.0 80.3 0.03"

July 115.3 87.8 0.11"

At one time, San Luis Obispo would closs the streets off downtown & turn itself into a giant Farmers Market every Thursday night. Great fun, even better food.

Not far from SLO is Morro Bay, home to Morro Rock & some wonderful Seafood right on the water.

Just North of San Luis is Pismo Beach, a self-described "Classic California" fun place to walk around.

Continue about 60 miles North & you'll come to Hearst Castle, an admitted tourist trap but a unique visit anyway.

I'm not up on your travels so far but if you can work in part of the Oregon Coast you won't be disappointed. Maybe next year? smile.gif

If you are going to use CA58, then stay on it right on thru Buttonwillow over to SLO....a great two laner...your other route not as good.

After looking closer at the map this is definitely a better route

Thanks!

I agree. Then in San Luis Obispo, make sure you go here for dinner:

http://www.mosbbq.com/

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

I took a look at the menu….looks goooooood!

Thanks Steve

I agree with most of the advice, but in my experience, DV can be damn hot anytime in June. Rules can be broken, but my rule is June, July or August, a blast across the desert is done early, early a.m.

Furnace Creek, average high, low and precip:

May 99.3 70.7 0.07"

June 109.0 80.3 0.03"

July 115.3 87.8 0.11"

This was my concern with the Death Valley route. If the temps are reasonable then going that way is possible.

Thanks for all the info on DV.

At one time, San Luis Obispo would closs the streets off downtown & turn itself into a giant Farmers Market every Thursday night. Great fun, even better food.

Not far from SLO is Morro Bay, home to Morro Rock & some wonderful Seafood right on the water.

Just North of San Luis is Pismo Beach, a self-described "Classic California" fun place to walk around.

Continue about 60 miles North & you'll come to Hearst Castle, an admitted tourist trap but a unique visit anyway.

I'm not up on your travels so far but if you can work in part of the Oregon Coast you won't be disappointed. Maybe next year? smile.gif

These places look interesting, thanks for taking the time to list them c/w links.

The plan is continue north on the coast highway all the way up and then cut over to Canada.

Thanks to all!!!

Keith

Going through Death Valley and then up over Sherman pass(J41) from Pearsonville on 395 will take you circuitously to 178 and down to 58. 58 to SLO is DA BEST.

Nothing but great little back roads in the Coastal range!

That's why God put the San Andreas fault there. dopeslap.gif

Going through Death Valley and then up over Sherman pass(J41) from Pearsonville on 395 will take you circuitously to 178 and down to 58. 58 to SLO is DA BEST.

Nothing but great little back roads in the Coastal range!

That's why God put the San Andreas fault there. dopeslap.gif

Since we are going to cut across California to the coast highway I didn't do much research on the route. Hiway 58 was a nice surprise!!

Thanks folks!

Keith

Archived