IGNORED

Need ideas for a 7 day trip from S.Fla

waylap

I'm looking at finally taking off on my own loaded with a tent and some essentials for about a 7 day retreat with my RT. I'd like to go in late January or Febuary and need some ideas on where to go Ga,Al,Miss etc where it's not too cold for camping. I just want some scenic peacful alone time with my motor and will only have about a week to get from South Fla to wherevere and back. Hotels if I have to but I like camping.

Bill -

That sure sounds like the right situation to head toward Two Wheels Only. You can pick up some great route ideas from the El Paseo threads, and stay at TWO the whole time. It's a long day up, and a longer day back, but N Ga. is a tremendous staging spot for a getaway. I've stayed there and it is quite laid back and comfortable.

Jake,

I believe TWO, and others, are closed then.

Something called Winter?? confused.gifgrin.gif

There are a number of campgrounds in N. Fla., Ga., and Alabama that are open.

Some will require rerservations now, as the Snowbirds are migrating then.

Will try to post links later.

Ga, TN, NC, are all mountains - elevations of 4K ft and more. Pretty damn cold in February. I'd opt for a Gulf coastal tour. The riding would be mostly slab, I guess, but there should be lots of opportunities to find some solitude and weather would be less of a concern. If the weather turns out to be unseasonably warm - jump on the Natchez Trace.

The great twisties of the Blue Ridge are always a good ride but snow, ice, and trying to sleep in a tube in below freezing temps is a little too bold an adventure for me.

US98 up the coast to Mobile area and then MS26 across the lower part of the state to Bogalusa where you can ride LA28 all the way across LA to near Alexandria. Can come back northerly via US84 or a more southerly route doing the River Road to Nawlins and then 98 home.

Good luck and take pictures.

Bill

Just got back from Blairesville,GA over Thanksgiving week and it was down to 28 degrees one night. Riding was nice with no traffic and in the high fifties some days.

D

Archived