IGNORED

Dec 9th: 6th Annual Marin BMW Toy Run

Kris

Howdy everyone, it's that time again!!

Last year we had over 100 motorcycles attend the Toy Run!! Please help me get the word out to all riders, we don't care what they ride... just show up on two wheels with some presents for kids!!

I cannot believe this is our 6th year doing this event - I say "our" because I just can't let go of such an awesome event. Always wanting to help make it bigger and better!!

Make your plans to attend!!

ToyRun2007.jpg

As a Father and a Grandfather of 6, putting a smile on the faces of children who otherwise would have no Christmas is one of my great joys.

Kris, for those of us who live too far away to attend, is there an address to which we can send a gift or donation?

I don't dare commit as work has a bad way of rearing its ugly head when I do, but, this is something I will be trying to get to for sure!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Thanks for the heads up Kris.

OK, I'm In.

So, are you going to get a bike and joins us "butterkup"? wink.gif

I have a bike! I just can't peddle that fast - I know how that ride goes... there's not a chance I could keep up. I'd bring the Mini, but exit passes are hard to come by on Sundays in our house - been quite limited since I inherited my parental duties. I need to get Wurty over here to help me get out on a weekend - last time I was allowed to depart the family was for Spring Torrey!!

Next year, I promise, I'll be back on a proper motorcycle!! Right now, I'm working too much to even notice it's gone. Was at Marin BMW today - there's a lot of new things to drool over though...

Yes, it was eventful, but despite the carnage at the scene and what looked like a very horrible accident, the rider sustained only major injuries to his foot which will require surgery, and less severe damage to his wrist. This person is one of the luckiest riders ever!

Apparently the story is that the rider went wide in a right hand turn crossed over the yellow and low sided the bike, which went head-on into the right front side of an oncoming pickup truck, the rider was run over and pinned under the truck and the rescue was complicated as the truck had be lifted in order to extracate the rider.

I would like to thank all of the riders who assisted at the scene, especially Sean and Richard who provided professional care and site management until the local rescue teams showed up.

I also would like to recognize the CHP officers who assisted with their usual professionalism by managing the scene overall.

We have been doing monthly rides for 6 years, and this is our 5th toy run and never have we had an incident like this occur and of course I am very discouraged.

At this time, all I can say is that as riders, we must always wear the gear, continuously train, and always ride within our limits.

Thanks to everyone who participated - we did have over 80 bikes and a lot of fun up until the accident happened. If you still have toys to donate, you can bring them by Marin BMW and we be sure that the kids get them.

Cary

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Cary,

A large number of us were at the CHP office when the cruisers arrived with the toys. We helped them unload and I got a picture right before we left. I'll forward that to you, as we will be spreading a lot of cheer again this year.

Yes, the rider will go home, but maybe not today. He's gonna have a headache tomorrow though...

OK, I'm In.

Pete, where were you?

I was hoping to see you there. The ride was, unfortunately, eventful frown.gif

Hi Gary! wave.gif

Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately) I didn't make it. I guess I overdid it yesterday, working outside, and didn't realize how cold it was. By evening, I was chilled and not feeling well. frown.gif Since they were forcasting the next morning to be to be even colder - it was 30 here Sat. morning, I figured I had better not push it. As it turned out, it wasn't as cold as predicted - a balmy 34 for a low, so I might have been OK. It looked like a pretty day.

Sorry to hear the ride was marred by the accident. frown.gif

He's gonna have a headache tomorrow though...

I'd expect he'll have a headache for more than just a day. He was unconscious for a while and when he woke up he must have asked me what happened about 20 times while I was on c-spine control. CONCUSSION, ouch.

Lucky indeed. I think the luckiest part was that he hit a 4WD Toyota pickup - it's lifted height provided the space he needed.

I'm glad he's going to be OK thumbsup.gif

Sorry - Forgot to mention that Tom & Gary were also instrumental in pulling off the rescue -we were lucky to have so many EMS and Fire professionals on the scene. It took a while for the Bolinas Volunteers to show up and while we were waiting, Tom (SFFD), Sean (SRFD), Gary and Rich R. the rider was fortunate to some real pros to provide care.

A group of us who left once the rider was extracated went to Stinson and I was really just done - It was all I could do just to ride back to the store, and I figured the CHP guys would be take hours to get back to the office. Some folks came to the store. Sorry the communication was not so great following the accident.

I attach a pic of the LT.

C

966154-230660172-L.jpg.295444f48be19ff8327edba12d7b71d2.jpg

+1 on the support from this group. Nice weather(warmer than Yreka this time of year) and good(but fast) company.

Carey, you did your best. Thanks for the event.

And, does anyone have the name of the rider? I talked to him under the truck, but did not ask his name. I would like to send a card.

Chris

Once we have permission and a the rest of the story, we will post the info on marinbmw.com and here.

Thanks for your concerna and I am sure the will appreciate any support the BMWRT.COM community can provide.

Thanks,

C

skinny_tom (aka boney)

This is what the previously lone tree looked like after the two cruisers that were filled with toys from the ride dropped by.

family_day+002.jpg

Sorry about the bag in the front of the image. I didn't notice it until I was outside and couldn't get back in for a re-take.

Here is a link to the full size.

http://www.beachbus.net/photos/d/1955-1/family_day+002.jpg

So, I heard from Mike Roesner and he wanted to send out his thanks for everybodys' concern regarding Bob Tidds unfortunate meeting with the pick-up truck near Dog Town. Mike reports that Bob "is resting in Santa Rosa's Memorial Hospital.

No head trauma or spinal injuries have occured. The injuries were to the outer extremities....

broken right wrist - 3 dislocated fingers on the left - broken right ankle / heel on right foot-fractured left ankle - some abrasions on forehead from helmet.

He has been complaining about not being able to ride this weekend & why he needs to waste time laying around the hospital ! Must be the meds."

Mike further states "Thanks for the great day on Sunday & we know the record of safety was affected......

hopefully this in turn will not affect next years TOY RUN ! Just a reminder that #&%! happens.

Any get well wishes can be justfloorcovering@sbcglobal.net to Mike, who will forward them to Bob since he's being worked on & won't be home yet"

I would say that Bob is a very lucky fellow to have survived this encounter - had it been any other vehicle he might not have gotten off so easily.

Thanks again to all the EMS Pros and riders that helped out with the rescue effort. clap.gif

Although I've never met Bob, my thoughts have been with him since Sunday, and I'm glad to hear he's OK and in good spirits. I rode home much slower and cautious than usual, but I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Archived