IGNORED

Cycle World show in Long Beach

Matts_12GS

I had mentioned this before, but will bump it up. I'm in bad need of a change of scenery and thought that doing something stupid like flying cross country to ride someone else's motorcycle may just do the trick...

I'm flying out that way on 12/6 and back on 12/9. I'm staying with some folks from the Motorcycle Travel Network out near ONT and I've reserved a big fat Road Glide and I'm gonna go to the show (since bike parking supposed to be free in Long Beach) and then I wanna get all touristy, maybe see the QM, maybe the Reagan Library (or at least genuflect at the gate lmao.gif). I had considered riding out to Joshua tree or the salton sea while I'm in the area also.

Anyone else going? I think I'm gonna hit the show on Friday the 7th and do something else on the 8th since I have to have the bike back to the dealer by 5 Saturday.

Hey Whip, ya happy now? What time do I expect you to be there? wave.gif

I'm in Upland, which is northwest of ONT against the bottom of Mt. Baldy. Two friends and I are planning on going to the show on 12/7 but likely in a car since one of them is still recovering from hitting a deer at 75 a couple weeks ago. I'm probably up for a ride elsewhere (out of LA) after that.

Matt - I live in the Malibu area on the other side of the mtns where all the recent fires have flared up. Your goal of visiting the Reagan Library and seeing Joshua Tree in one day are quite ambitious, they are on opposite side of the LA basin, located approx 215 miles apart and hours of commuting in highway traffic. In that you are staying in Ontario and commuting to the show on Firday night that will be an adventure all in itself, although it says its about 60 miles or so, give yourself a good 2 hours commute time oneway. Friday night commuting traffic starts here around 2:30 in the afternoon. You aren't renting something that can easily lane split so you will be challenged to move through the traffic.

Don't want to discourage your desire to see the sights of LA, but you are going to be worn dead trying to make this happen. Commuting here is a nightmare confused.gif read ROAD RAGE.

I would make a list of what you want to see, post it here and someone will probably join you.

I am planning at this time, to see the Bike show on Sat morning, bright and early, and then ride back towards Malibu area around mid morning. If you are interested in seeing the Reagan Library, I am about 10 miles from it. Happy to detour to show you that and other sights of LA along the way, choice is yours. From the Simi Valley area you have a fairly straight shot east along the 118 frwy into Pasadena and then on to Ontario later that day.

Let me know if I can help wave.gif

Thanks Tim and Greg!!

My rough plans have changed a bit... I get in Thursday night and get my bike first thing Friday morning. Friday I think I'm going to ride down toward Capistrano, maybe San Clemente (or Yorba Linda, go see Tricky Dick's place!! lmao.gif) and then hit the show Friday afternoon so I can roll back east after 9 or so. Hopefully traffic mellows out then? confused.gif Nah, of course not... lmao.gif If I change that plan, I may go up to Simi and then drop down to the show.

I'm trying to keep some structure out of this and still keep the agenda split so I'm not spending the weekend stuck in traffic or bouncing off car doors trying to lane split a beheamoth like the Glide....

I have a softail and that was the only other Harley I wanted to ride so I chose it. Besides it's got a stereo....

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Since I gotta get the hog back to the barn Saturday afternoon, I think I'll probably go to Joshua tree or Salton or Idyllwild or Big Bear or.... On that Saturday.

Hey, Matt! I was thinking of hitting the show on the 7th myself. I'm booked for the weekend, though. Let's meet up.

BTW, advance tickets are the way to go. The ticket line is usually huge. One way around for folks stuck in line: go to the group window, find out what the minimum size group is, then grab that many people from line and become a "group". When I did this a couple years back, we not only beat the line, but we got a discount on our tickets!

Hey Whip, ya happy now? What time do I expect you to be there? wave.gif

Let me think about it?????????????????

uhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

You road by my house......you didn't stop.

I went to Florida and everyone from your city showed up......you didn't.

I guess I'll pass, I can take a hint......

smirk.gif

wow, holdin a grudge aren'tcha Tex... lmao.gif

Dude, I tried to get there while I was in TX... And we wanted to be there when you wuz here... But, well, poop happens.

It just happens around you a whole lot more!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I'll miss you this time too???? cool.gif

You'll be able to see more if you're in the country on Friday and in the city on Saturday. Go see Joshua Tree and ride the back country on Friday. Ride to Long Beach on Saturday morning, see the show and either the Queen Mary or head up to the library. You should be able to do that comfortably and be back to Ontario by 5PM.

(and, yes, I will be at the MC show on Saturday)

Thanks Michael!

You guys make up my mind, will ya? lmao.gifwave.gif

I think you should blow off the plane and ride out to San Diego. Think about how much time you'll save in airports and bike rental places.

grin.gif

That's what I would do!!!

Whip

I think you should blow off the plane and ride out to San Diego. Think about how much time you'll save in airports and bike rental places.

Whip

Hmm, I have 3.5 days essentially...

If I had Richard's GT and an internet full of cheerleaders to call me as I 50cc'd my way across the continent I could meet the dogs at your house (ok, Mrs. Whip, and probably you too lmao.gif) and arrive at the show in time to see it for a couple hours and fly home...

Damn, that's tempting... thumbsup.gif

Hey Richard, will the colonel hold together long enough for one more cross country run? Can you get it here by Wednesday afternoon? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

Hmm, I have 3.5 days essentially...

If I had Richard's GT and an internet full of cheerleaders to call me as I 50cc'd my way across the continent I could meet the dogs at your house (ok, Mrs. Whip, and probably you too lmao.gif) and arrive at the show in time to see it for a couple hours and fly home...

Damn, that's tempting... thumbsup.gif

Hey Richard, will the colonel hold together long enough for one more cross country run? Can you get it here by Wednesday afternoon? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

...........you have more excuses than the Lawman.

Leave early, stay late, and have fun, works every time it's tried.

Time to Man-up.

lmao.gif

FYYFF!!!! clap.gif

This is why I was hoping the trip would stay low key..., but hey... Since Whip is going to be sitting on the porch next weekend with the other dogs, I reckon I'm going to stick with my plans to fly and rent. wave.gif

Not like he's gonna show up.smirk.gif

Keith, I'm gonna work on that tip for Saturday, could be fun, and besides, as soon as I figure out who actually owns the RS they're gonna have to join MOA again just so I can get a magazine without the beloved editor wave.giflmao.gif

AdventurePoser
Matt - I live in the Malibu area on the other side of the mtns where all the recent fires have flared up. Your goal of visiting the Reagan Library and seeing Joshua Tree in one day are quite ambitious, they are on opposite side of the LA basin, located approx 215 miles apart and hours of commuting in highway traffic. In that you are staying in Ontario and commuting to the show on Firday night that will be an adventure all in itself, although it says its about 60 miles or so, give yourself a good 2 hours commute time oneway. Friday night commuting traffic starts here around 2:30 in the afternoon. You aren't renting something that can easily lane split so you will be challenged to move through the traffic.

Don't want to discourage your desire to see the sights of LA, but you are going to be worn dead trying to make this happen. Commuting here is a nightmare confused.gif read ROAD RAGE.

I would make a list of what you want to see, post it here and someone will probably join you.

I am planning at this time, to see the Bike show on Sat morning, bright and early, and then ride back towards Malibu area around mid morning. If you are interested in seeing the Reagan Library, I am about 10 miles from it. Happy to detour to show you that and other sights of LA along the way, choice is yours. From the Simi Valley area you have a fairly straight shot east along the 118 frwy into Pasadena and then on to Ontario later that day.

Let me know if I can help wave.gif

You make it sound like touring the LA basin is a bad thing... lmao.giflmao.gif

Steve in So Cal

I'll be there Friday afternoon.

If you're hoping to get in on any demo rides, you either have to be there verrrrrry early, or the day before, to sign up.

It's looking less and less likely that I'll be able to make it. If I do, I was planning on Friday morning.

I didn't know there were demo rides.... Hmm!

It looks like the show doesn't start till 4pm on Friday according to the website so I was planning on just roaming aimlessly (I'm REAL good at that) until about 4 and then sitting out what I hope is the worst part of the traffic.

I've got your number still Bill, I'll give a ring when I get there and we'll see if we can connect.

It looks like the show doesn't start till 4pm on Friday according to the website so I was planning on just roaming aimlessly (I'm REAL good at that) until about 4 and then sitting out what I hope is the worst part of the traffic.

I've got your number still Bill, I'll give a ring when I get there and we'll see if we can connect.

Oops, I missed that it didn't start until 4:00 on Friday. Guess I should have done my research before shooting my mouth (or keyboard) off. In that case, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it. frown.gif

Now I've done some research!

As for demo rides, according to this page,

"The manufacturer-sponsored Demo Rides are typically held on Saturday and Sunday during daylight hours as weather permits with special Friday Demo Rides available at certain locations."

Scheduled demos:

Southern California: BMW, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, KTM, Kymco, Vectrix, Victory and Yamaha/Star

However, here's the current forecast for Long Beach:

Friday: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 59. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday Night: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 53.

Saturday: Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 55.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50.

Sunday: A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 59.

I'll bet "weather" like this doesn't "permit" demo rides.

At least the rain won't spoil his Harley Experience. Two days with temps in the 50's, steady rain and LA commute traffic on a big slow barge of a bike. What's not to love?

Bill,

Perhaps you could just "sneak" the new 800GS out for a quick spin...just kinda slide out a side door when no one's lookin'...

At least the rain won't spoil his Harley Experience. Two days with temps in the 50's, steady rain and LA commute traffic on a big slow barge of a bike. What's not to love?

The Love Boat, soon will be making another run . . .

Here's our fearless Captain now,

10f.jpg

Navy puke!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Oops, I missed that it didn't start until 4:00 on Friday. Guess I should have done my research before shooting my mouth (or keyboard) off. In that case, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it. frown.gif

Now I've done some research!

As for demo rides, according to this page,

"The manufacturer-sponsored Demo Rides are typically held on Saturday and Sunday during daylight hours as weather permits with special Friday Demo Rides available at certain locations."

Scheduled demos:

Southern California: BMW, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, KTM, Kymco, Vectrix, Victory and Yamaha/Star

However, here's the current forecast for Long Beach:

Friday: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 59. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday Night: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 53.

Saturday: Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 55.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50.

Sunday: A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 59.

thought it "never rains in southern california?" lmao.gif

The Love Boat, soon will be making another run . . .

Here's our fearless Captain now,

10f.jpg

Navy puke!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

It's all good. I ride a harley on purpose, mostly for fun with the side benefit of proving that I'm not a snobby elitist like some of my brethren. It's about diversity!

My harley will be the easy one to spot there, it'll have the full face helmet on it so wave as I crease your door panels lane splitting on the Pacific Blue Beast! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

harley-road-glide.jpg

I'm from FL, I can ride in half an inch of rain unlike so many in SoCal. Wind, we ride in hurricanes pal. The temps haven't been that different here so I'm not concerned about it...

I'm from FL, I can ride in half an inch of rain unlike so many in SoCal. Wind, we ride in hurricanes pal. The temps haven't been that different here so I'm not concerned about it...

Unfortunately the same can't be said for SoCal cagers. They typically adjust their driving for bad weather in one of two ways: too much, or not at all. So you'll have some cars crawling along at 40 on the freeway, while most of 'em are still doing 75+ running bumper-to-bumper. It makes for "interesting" traffic conditions. Be careful out there!

Archived