IGNORED

Why dosen't someone invent...........?

rshipp

a center stand that locks? Why doesn't BMW make the center stand on our bikes with some kind of key lock. I would think it would be easy with using some kind pin or rod that is engaged by the key to keep the center stand locked in place. It would eliminate theft and your bike falling over. If they can lock the steering column, why not this?

maybe I will try making one. JUST A THOUGHT

a center stand that locks? Why doesn't BMW make the center stand on our bikes with some kind of key lock. I would think it would be easy with using some kind pin or rod that is engaged by the key to keep the center stand locked in place. It would eliminate theft and your bike falling over. If they can lock the steering column, why not this?

maybe I will try making one. JUST A THOUGHT

Good idea! thumbsup.gif

How about a sidstand that "locks" like the HD? This may reduce some of the rolling drops during idle that some folks have had.

If I'm not mistaken the RTP does this. So it's out there but why don't they put it on all RTs?

CoarsegoldKid

I'd rather BMW turn their attention to other mechanical reliability issues before locking a stand. How about just making the one they have keep the bike standing.

Great idea and I have wondered the same thing. I have been working on my bike while on the center stand and down it goes you better watch when something weighing 600 lb. is falling. I have also had my bike fall over when on a slight slope when on the side stand. So I am in full favor of a locking center stand and or a locking side stand. I will admit that I can see more use for a locking center stand. If they ever decided to do this I would want you to be able to disengage the locking mechanism.

Great idea and I have wondered the same thing. I have been working on my bike while on the center stand and down it goes you better watch when something weighing 600 lb. is falling. I have also had my bike fall over when on a slight slope when on the side stand. So I am in full favor of a locking center stand and or a locking side stand. I will admit that I can see more use for a locking center stand. If they ever decided to do this I would want you to be able to disengage the locking mechanism.

The side stand issue is easily fixed. When parking on a slope, ALWAYS, ALWAYS park the bike in gear, and after shutoff let it roll until the engine stops it BEFORE you put the side stand down.

I can't say the center stand has ever been an issue for me. When I'm working on the bike, if I'm going to messing with tight bolts, I run a strap from the center stand to the front wheel (or at least that's what I did before I got a bike lift with a wheel chock).

I use a wheel lock and lock the steering column on my 07 ADV. when traveling and staying overnight in a hotel somewhere. But I think that the more security I have...the better. It should be easy to make. Plus, i get a little nervous when i come out of the hotel and people are checking out (admiring) my bike. Who's to say they won't nudge it or some kid come by and push it foward. Or my 3 year old go into my garage and lean on it the wrong way. I would hate for that to happen.

Archived