IGNORED

Thoughts on simple/easy to use wireless rider to pillion?

szurszewski

My dad thought my wife's new Vespa was so cool, he went out and bought his own to putt around on and to take on RV trips.

Now he's looking for a comm system so he can talk to his pillion as they scoot around.

He is an intelligent guy, but NOT technically/mechanically/direction-reading inclined, so to get used, this will have to be a pretty close to a set-it-and-forget-it system. I'll install and set up, and he's learned via his iPod to charge batteries dopeslap.gif pretty well...

Simplicity and reliability are much more important factors than cost (for whatever that's worth).

Thoughts? Oh - and if you know a great place from which to order your suggested setup, that would help him out as well.

thanks!

I use the Cardo company Scala Rider Team Set... speakers in the helmets- install/charge/talk... Bluetooth that is automatically paired- no set up required.

Once set up all you need to is charge it and remember to turn both units on.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I hadn't seen the Camos system before - it probably is more than he would use, but now I'm thinking I might need one.

The Scala Team setup is what I was planning to suggest for him.

hopz: Did you order your set online? If so, from which vendor?

So coupld this system be used rider to rider???

It seems like some of the review say you can if you are within sight from one another, but they do not market as such.

JT

Fightingpiper

I don't know the exact distance the camos will work but I have left my helmet on and walked in the store to pay for gas and never lost connection with my Ipod which was playing in the map section of my tank bag. I guess it was a distance of about 50 feet through store windows.....On the road I don't know how well it would work. YMMV

Rider to Rider? Well, the literature says 30 meters, so I presume it will work.

(FYI, My riding buddy went to purchase the Scala rider Team Set and somehow got diverted to the Blue Ant system. He and his other buddy got them and installed--- quality was so poor and volume so low they returned for replacement. Next set was the same. Service was not up to standard either and they returned them under warranty. Your actual mileage may vary.)

I have had nothing but good service from Cardo systems. They worked with me on the riders set which had a poor volume and they replaced both units quickly, no charge and threw in an on-bike charger for the trouble.

I bought at Ride Gear... using a special promo code and got a great deal. Price too low to mention since I have never seen it that way again.

I have no financial or other interest in any dealers or manufacturer... I just like it.

there is lengthy discussion on this subject over at the Zumo forums because the Team Set links bluetooth to the Zumo and works pretty good.

Benchmark_Helmets

we distribute most of the bluetooth motorcycle headsets on the market. Benchmark Helmets

If you have any questions regarding any of the bluetooth headsets for set up or recommendations for your application, feel free to contact us. info@benchamrkhelmets.com

If you are looking for the highest quality sound, the Camos 600 is the way to go. camos 600

When the 600 is paired with a d1000v your Zumo 550 reaches its full potential. This combination allows you to intercom, have your cell phone display (accept/reject calls, access address book)on the Zumo, and receive full stereo sound for music from the sd card, xm radio, and voice commands.

When the 600 is paired with the d1000v or a100 and and ipod or audio source, you can get intercom, music, and cell phone.

If you are just looking for a rider to passenger intercom and don't need the best quality sound (highway speeds and accelerating) then the teasmset would be the way to go. (the teamset will also allow 1 cell phone connection) teamset

these online dealers carry the Camos and Cardo products mentioned

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Thanks for the info Benchmark. I found it interesting on your website that you don't offer any full-face or modular helmets. In fact, I thought you were located in Europe before I clicked on your contact details. Since you don't offer full face helmets from your website, do you offer installation if I were to mail you my helmet?

Quoting your post: "When the 600 is paired with a d1000v your Zumo 550 reaches its full potential. This combination allows you to intercom, have your cell phone display (accept/reject calls, access address book)on the Zumo, and receive full stereo sound for music from the sd card, xm radio, and voice commands."

So if I understand it correctly we buy a 600 and a d1000v and we can get the full phone functionality, and get full stereo sound from the Zumo SD card, and stereo XM?

I don't think so.

Question for you Benchmark... how do you get stereo out of the Zumo when it has a mono bluetooth chip set?

And for what its worth--- The zumo offers full phone features all by itself, including hands free operation, phone book, call history etc...

I'm thinking we need a clarification here.

Benchmark_Helmets
Quoting your post: "When the 600 is paired with a d1000v your Zumo 550 reaches its full potential. This combination allows you to intercom, have your cell phone display (accept/reject calls, access address book)on the Zumo, and receive full stereo sound for music from the sd card, xm radio, and voice commands."

So if I understand it correctly we buy a 600 and a d1000v and we can get the full phone functionality, and get full stereo sound from the Zumo SD card, and stereo XM?

I don't think so.

Question for you Benchmark... how do you get stereo out of the Zumo when it has a mono bluetooth chip set?

And for what its worth--- The zumo offers full phone features all by itself, including hands free operation, phone book, call history etc...

I'm thinking we need a clarification here.

Your are not modifying the chipset of the Zumo. The sound is transmitted via bluetooth through the d1000v dongle you plug into the headset port of your zumo mount. Hope this clears things up, feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

info@benchmarkhelmets.com

After talking with Benchmark let me clarify what they have...

They have a device that connects via a dongle from the audio out of the Zumo bike mount. This device transmits to their headset in stereo. This is entirely feasible and may work. Seems reasonable to me.

The bluetooth signal from the Zumo is and remains mono, while the wired output from the bike mount is in stereo.

There.

Benchmark_Helmets
Thanks for the info Benchmark. I found it interesting on your website that you don't offer any full-face or modular helmets. In fact, I thought you were located in Europe before I clicked on your contact details. Since you don't offer full face helmets from your website, do you offer installation if I were to mail you my helmet?

Unlike some other products, you do not have to cut out liners or make helmet modifications. Installation can be done on your own. Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are, it can take anywhere from 2-10 minutes.

After talking with Benchmark let me clarify what they have...

They have a device that connects via a dongle from the audio out of the Zumo bike mount. This device transmits to their headset in stereo. This is entirely feasible and may work. Seems reasonable to me.

The bluetooth signal from the Zumo is and remains mono, while the wired output from the bike mount is in stereo.

There.

hopz. helmet guy.

Great info. Maybe you can answer some questions for me. Just installed Zumo, paired to cellphones, but no BT headsets yet, currently using AutoComm system, 2 headsets for Intercom and seperate (not from Zumo, yet) XM through a Boosteroo amp beacuse we both wear earplugs and full coverage lids. This system works great...NOW,

BUT....when I go XM through Zumo and BT headsets I WANT a few things...

1. Stereo music (any other options besides the device listed)

2. Enough volume with earplugs (We wear NRR 22 plugs) and the amp is a must now.

Any ideas??

TIA,

'Lidz

Fightingpiper
Unlike some other products, you do not have to cut out liners or make helmet modifications. Installation can be done on your own. Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are, it can take anywhere from 2-10 minutes.

Agreed was very easy to install on my HJC modular. Have attached some pictures of what it looks like on my helmet.

helmet2.jpg

helmet3.jpg

helmet1.jpg

When the 600 is paired with a d1000v your Zumo 550 reaches its full potential.

Presumably with this setup both rider & pillion can hear the output (directions or music) from the Zumo? If so, this setup would be perfect for me.

The only other concern I have is the unit mounting on the side of the helmet. This will presumably generate extra noise?

bit... sorry to say, your assumption is not correct.

The set-up you see will not allow the passenger to hear either the navigation prompts nor the mp3.

The Camos unit is $400 sicne you need 2 sets for the intercomm funciton. I was hoping for something more economical.

How is the intercomm quality on the Scala rider, I've read some reviews that the the volume wasn't loud enough. Althouhg anything is better tha nwhat we have now. Currently our intercomm is yelling at each other at speeds under 50mph with the windscreen fully up. So the bike isn't all that loud.

I found a Scala Rider Team set for $165.

bit... sorry to say, your assumption is not correct.

The set-up you see will not allow the passenger to hear either the navigation prompts nor the mp3.

Damn! Another plan bites the dust. SWMBO likes to hear the GPS so she can help interpret, and she certainly wants to hear the music on long runs. I draw the line at having two music sources so I guess I'll stick with my Autocom and wires for now.

Yeah, I hear you.

Actually you can rig it to play to the passenger too, but might as well open your back account to the supplier.

All you need is a splitter on the audio out from the Zumo to (yet) another B/T stereo adapter (total of two), then synch it to her helmet.

The other option is to look into the Cardo Scala Rider Teamset. The rider's headset control has a button to turn on the "conference" mode, which causes the passenger to hear all audio inputs the rider does. BUT, and its a big butt... this is a mono set-up and the audio quality is not that good. In fact I cant stand the mp3 music through the set because the quality is so bad.

I do love the phone and navigation prompts however. OBTW, my passenger prefers nothing soundwise except intercom.

Looks like wires remain in your future.

Looks like wires remain in your future.

Yep, I guess so. Still, it's all permanently powered at least. With the setup you describe I can just imagine the shenanigans in the hotel room each evening, charging up two helmets and two B/T adapters!

motoguy... sorry for the long delay in response.

The Scala Rider Team Set as intercom and as bluetooth to/from my Zumo (for Navigation prompts and telephone) is very good in the voice frequency/bandwidth range. It obviously was designed for voice and does a pretty good job there. It is not all that good for music- mono and too narrow a bandwidth.

The volume is also acceptable. We use 3/4 helmets and we can intercom and listen to Nav up to 70+ on the road, no problem.

It takes a little trial and error to get the set up right. By this, I do not mean the install of the little speakers- that was easy as was the mounting of the units themselves.

The instructions are a little terse and as a result you have to play with it until you break the code.

For instance we dislike the VOX mode which causes it to switch from stand-by to talk/listen based in you just talking. There is just enough delay to make it slightly awkward. We use the option to be Always On... this uses more battery but no delay. To turn this on you first must power up both units and then let them synch to each other- which is automatic and easy. Then you wait 30 seconds to be sure there is no talk signal- Then hold the passenger control button for 2 seconds- that switches to Always On. See, a little obscure.

Set both volumes to max. There is also an ANC circuit which raises the volume based on ambient noise.

You can read the owners manual on line at the Cardo Systems web site.

You price seems good. My "accidental" deal was a little better but I have never seen it that low again.

Warning- some people do not like the Scala and have had a hard time getting it to perform for them. I had to work it a good bit before I was satisfied. I like it now and use it every time I ride- even solo for the phone. It is just so easy to turn on the Scala and pair it to the Zumo. Easy Peasy as the guy says.

I can send and receive calls riding down the road- no problem.

OBTW, I am just a customer- I have no interest in Cardo otherwise.

Tht's for hte information. I went ahead and bought a pair, and recived them Friday, but I'm making that a psudo-christmas gift for my wife (don't worry, I got her lots of other stuff). I figure I'll give her the rider's headset and let her answer and make calls.

My wife does have a little i-pod shuffle. Is there an inexpensive battery powered Bluetooth Interface device that would allow us to pipe in the music if we want?

The more I can give her to play with, maybe the less bored she'll get and the longer we can ride. Maybe I can get one of those rear seat DVD systems that goes over the back of a car seat and put it around my neck facing rearwards. grin.gif

Archived