IGNORED

Need ideas for summer 2008 trip from Atlanta

Tbuck

Looking for ideas for my 2008 2 week long summer trip. Did the Yellowstone Park trip this year so would like to stay on the east coast. Know any great destinations on the east coast? Thanks for your help.

daveinatlanta

I'll assume you've already visited the venerable Smokies, Western NC, and ridden the BRP. If not, there's a week of interesting sights. Otherwise, consider the Outer Banks. Wash DC is a great place to visit but not something you'd want to do on a bike unless you just park it for several days and ride the Metro. I understand Michigan's Upper Peninsula is a nice destination but it is a long way and would only make sense if you coupled it with another exciting locale such as Toledo Ohio .... frown.gif !!

Maybe you could find a rally somewhere on the East Coast or New England to attend.

Hi Tony

2-up or solo? Your comfortable daily mileage? Cities or small towns?

My wife and I did a nine day loop to New England last summer - Had a great time on very out of the way roads in West Virginia, Virginia, PA, New York, Vermont, Mass, and NH. Another week and I'd have done Newfoundland and the Cabot Trial.

Stops in Gettysburg and Cooperstown were great. For me, the key is rural roads ... we followed the south fork of the Potomic into the Washington and Jefferson National Forests in the Virginias - beautiful country.

The BRP is a treat to ride and a great way to get to the DC area without the slabs. I have some specific routes in Garmin files, PM me if you wish.

Enjoy the ride - I'm headed back up there in June.

Nova Scotia. One of the best destinations on the east coast. Great roads thru New England and then the ferry from Bar Harbor. I did this in the summer of '06 and in the mid-90's. Great fun and excellent riding. Stay at the Bed and Breakfasts. I have one to recommend if you go.

Archived