IGNORED

What a stupid thing to do!

luf

I am telling this in hopes that nobody else does what I did yesterday. dopeslap.gif I was in the process of adjusting my valves, my first time to do this. As I went to pull one of the plug coil's off I didn't unplug the spark plug wire from the coil. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif As a result, the part that plugs into the coil broke in half. bncry.gif I tried to piece it back in the coil and then I used electrical tape to keep it in place. dopeslap.gif This dumb, and stupid mistake ended up costing me $158 in parts. To top that off, it is going to take about two weeks for me to get the new coil and repair kit sent to me. dopeslap.gif After telling the shop what I had done for a temporary fix they told me that my bike probably would not run right if I tried to ride it. I did start the bike (R1200RT with 12000 on the clock) and to me it sounded OK. Has anyone out there done this same thing? If so, were you able to ride the bike until you got the parts to fix it??? dopeslap.gif

Never done that but was planning on a valve adjust soon...now ya got me worried. Can you elaborate just a little more on what you actually did...I wanna make sure I don't do a re-peat! wave.gif And thanks for giving us DIY'ers a heads up!

Bobbybob, the spark plug wires attach to the spark plug coils via a plug-in, or at least that's what I call it. If you don't disconnect this plug (pull it out of its socket in the coil) you will stand a good chance of doing exactly what I did. bncry.gif

I am fairly confident it will ride fine. I have seen this on ADVRider a few times, and they fixed it the same way.

Also, I have never unplugged the wires from the stick coil, nor do any of the people I know, and it has not been a problem.

You should use a tool to remove the plug cap, or a screwdriver. Never pull on the wires!

Jim cool.gif

Anton Largiader

You might find that it idles OK but starts to run sort of one-sided when the revs go up, if one plug isn't firing on a TwinSpark bike.

I always unplug the wire. Just flex the connector gently towards the valve cover (you'll see the catch open slightly) and pull it rearward. Then you can pull the coil out with no risk.

I fixed one earlier this year for a guy on a 12RT by cutting off the broken connector, putting small push terminals on the end of the wires, (keep track of the colors!) connecting them to the stick coil, then pouring epoxy around them. It has held (and ran) just fine.

But, the reason we went that route was to avoid buying the entire engine wiring harness. You say there is a repair kit for a broken connector? Do you have any further details? Part number? Please post a picture of what it is when you get it if you can.

At least you knew what you had done. Mine broke, but not all the way, just enough to break contact. After 8 more valve jobs, cause everyone said it HAD to be vavles, it took the dealer 7 hours to find the problem.

You're not alone. Have a look at the triumphrat.net Tiger pages and you'll find you don't qualify as a bona fide member before you've dumped it at least twice. I know - I had 2 Tigers in succession. My dealer called me the only offroad downtheroad rider he knew....

Ken, when I get what they called a "repair kit" I will get a snapshot or two and a part number. I rode the bike to work today. Seemed to run fine. So far so good. Thank you to all that responded. thumbsup.gif

Jimster

• 2 weeks later...
Bumping this as I'm still interested in learning what the repair kit for broken coil on plug connectors is all about?
Answer to my own question, someone over on avrider had it - the repair kit part # is 83 30 0 402 341

Archived