IGNORED

Nada or Kelly Blue Book?

NoHeat

Which of these online price lists for used bikes is more accurate? Or are they both way off?

I'm thinking of dealer retail prices. For a 2006 Suzuki I looked at, Nada was about 7% higher.

Kelly also shows a trade-in price -- I wonder how accurate that is.

The one that's the most accurate is the one that most closely predicts the actual price you end up getting (or paying) for a motorcycle. They are both simply one person's (organization's) educated guess. Bikes are just like cars, houses, etc.--they are worth what they bring on the open market, no more/no less.

Most of the dealers we work with use NADA. In most cases, the values in NADA are somewhat lower than KBB, which is why you will usually see the KBB displayed in windows of used cars for sale.

I have "heard" that NADA is dealer wholesale and that KBB is owner to buyer. This would account for KBB being lower.

If anyone has any facts on this I would like to hear it.

From my experience as a buyer and a seller... you use the one that most closely matches your opinion.

Neither one is all that relevant anyway. If you buy or sell the value is what you pay or receive.

I have "heard" that NADA is dealer wholesale and that KBB is owner to buyer. This would account for KBB being lower.

If anyone has any facts on this I would like to hear it.

From my experience as a buyer and a seller... you use the one that most closely matches your opinion.

Neither one is all that relevant anyway. If you buy or sell the value is what you pay or receive.

When I was a sales manager - KBB was trash and NADA was what we used. NADA seemed to have a better eye on motorcycle pricing (and sent regular surveys to us to complete) and KBB was always a bit higher. NADA, like KBB, have pricing for trade and retail.

If a manager wanted to play the game (and many do) - they'd use the lower pricing of NADA for trades and the higher pricing of KBB for sales.

I can't tell you how many times people came in with active eBay or craigslist.org information and expected me to match someone's auction price for a trade value. My response was always, "we know what they're asking... let's wait to see what they actually sell the bike for".

My real answer. There's no one source that will give you an absolutely accurate number for value. Check cycletrader.com, check ebay (closed auctions), check craigslist.org... check local dealer web sites. With all that info, you'll get an idea of current pricing.

kris

I go by NADA, cause that is what my banker goes buy grin.gif Find out which one your loaner uses and go by that. Doesn't really matter what the others say when the bank makes it's loan decisions on a certain one.

Archived