IGNORED

Planning first road trip: 3,000 miles around Texas. Any tips?

zbassman

I've been back in to riding for a few years now. So far my riding has been limited to commuting to/from work and day trips out in to the Texas Hill Country. My longest day in the saddle so far was about 350 miles of wandering around the back roads in the Hill Country.

I'm now starting to plan my first real road trip. I'm planning on riding around the perimeter (more or less) of Texas this spring. Yea, I know spring is a long way off but I gotta have something to get me through the next couple of months of work wink.gif

So, I've been using google maps to chart out a course. It looks like the trip will be about 3,000 miles. I don't want to try to take it as an iron butt or saddle sore ride. I want my first trip to be pleasurable and leisurely. I'm staying off the hiways. So I'm figuring an average of 50 mph and maybe 8 hours a day in the saddle. That works out to about 9 days to complete the trip.

Never having done this before, I'm looking for a reality check and any hints, clues, suggesions, etc.

Thanks.

Just one suggestion: drop the circumnavigation of Texas idea. If you're budgeting 3000 miles in nine days, get your butt up to Colorado/Wyoming/Utah for some truly spectacular scenery and roads.

The idea of riding 3K miles staying in one state is intriguing, ala the four corners of Texas. However, as you probably well know, a lot of your home state is very much alike for long stretches. I would think the stretches south below US90, west past Big Bend, and most everything 300 miles south/east of Amarillo would get boring.

I'd spend the 9 days going to western NC or the big ditch in AZ and then southern Utah.

Regardless, take photos and let us know how it goes.

Bill

Just one suggestion: drop the circumnavigation of Texas idea. If you're budgeting 3000 miles in nine days, get your butt up to Colorado/Wyoming/Utah for some truly spectacular scenery and roads.

I second that idea. Compared to the hill country, the route you are considering is pretty boring.

Los Fresnos is just north of Brownsville, and by necessity, have to travel some of those roads just to get anywhere. I do like US 90 west of Del Rio, but part of that is that when I'm on that road, I know I'm heading our West.

I imagine one of your reasons for selecting Texas is that in the spring, you'll be able to make the trip. Colorado wouldn't be a good place at that time. If you are determined, I would try to find roads of interest, that kind of follow the border.

I will tell you that Corpus to Brownsville to Laredo is BORING!!

Excellent suggestion. I looked at a trip to the Grand Canyon, a place I've only seen from 30,000 feet going 400mph. Its actually the same mileage more or less and it takes me through Area 51! So I get the added excitement of maybe being abducted by E.T.!

Of course half the fun of this is dreaming about where I could go. But y'all make good points. I've already seen a lot of Texas and while there are beautiful places (Hill Country, southern coast, the piney woods of east texas, and I am told the Big Bend area) much of it is just vast stretches of mesquite trees dotted with cattle.

I think I'm gonna re-route my trip.

I second that idea. Compared to the hill country, the route you are considering is pretty boring.

Los Fresnos is just north of Brownsville, and by necessity, have to travel some of those roads just to get anywhere. I do like US 90 west of Del Rio, but part of that is that when I'm on that road, I know I'm heading our West.

I imagine one of your reasons for selecting Texas is that in the spring, you'll be able to make the trip. Colorado wouldn't be a good place at that time. If you are determined, I would try to find roads of interest, that kind of follow the border.

I will tell you that Corpus to Brownsville to Laredo is BORING!!

D'oh! I forgot about weather going west out of Texas. I guess I'll have to wait until late spring/early summer if I head west out of Texas. I don't do cold and I dang sure don't do riding in the cold and I dang doodely sure don't do riding in the cold AND snow!

I've never been to New Mexico or Arizona. When does the weather turn decent in the spring? And by decent I mean no lower than 45-50 during the day, and no snow/ice on the roads.

When in Texas a few years ago I got a Farm and Market road map of Texas. It unfolds into a near life size of the state and shows all the side roads most of which I understand are paved. It should be no problem to wear out a motorcycle trying to ride all those roads.

3000 miles should be a piece of cake. And with the F&M map you can short cut back home when you get tired of the scenery. lmao.gif

Unless a storm is brewing, you should be OK in April/May at least until you get to higher altitudes. We've been to the GC the last two years in May and have had great weather. I've taken the elec vest but have used it only one morning leaving Gunnison. March in Big Bend and central NM is also very nice again until you get to higher altitudes.

See ya. Bill

Hello,

Sounds like an adventure better had in the Spring, Bad weather in the Big Bend country and Panhandle could be a problem for rest of the year.

If you have that much time Arizona is perfect this time of year. Let me know if you need any suggestions for AZ roads!

Randy

Archived