IGNORED

K1200S & EAS Questions

dieSilberMotorrad

dieSilberMotorrad

Okay - Looks like I'm going to buy one. Now, here's the dilemma I want opinions on: They have a 2008 Black one for $15,500- basic model, no add-ons OR they have a 2007 two tone model for $17,465 that they say they will knock a grand off. It has EAS, heated grips, on board computer. Opinions?

The EAS is a bit of a gimic, but I do use it based on whether I'm on smooth back roads (sport setting) or on the slab (soft setting). More useful to me in the midwest are the heated grips. They extend riding comfort into temperatures where I would have to wear bulky gloves.

Regardless of the model you buy, the K12S is a blast to ride!

enjoy,

peterh thumbsup.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Ive got 25k on a 05' beta model... Love it...done 1200 mile days... hard work in the tight stuff.. great on the highway...

I like being able to adjust the suspension whilst moving, heated grips are great when it is cold and raining, so I have both. It is a great bike without ESA but a better bike with it. thumbsup.gif

pedro cerveza

I thought BMW was carrying over the discounts on the last of the 07s into the new 08s. You might be able to get a better price. You'd be real hard pressed to get a better bike. The ESA is great. You can have it tight in the twisties without getting punished on the slab.

pedro cerveza

For BMW replacement parts you're looking at close to $3000. A few months ago someone came out with an aftermarket alternative for a bit more than half that.

I have the ESA and while it is a nice feature, 35,000 miles and 16 months later they are just about shot. I checked with my local BMW dealership parts department and verified the oft quoted $3000 to replace the ESA shocks is shockingly accurate. This does not include installation. Why these shocks are not rebuildable is a mystery. I would skip this feature and order the bike without the ESA, TPM or ASC. These are expensive gimmicks and part of the coolaid that BMW is serving up these days. If you need to repair any of these systems after the warranty is up you are looking at a wad of money.

Cheers! wave.gif

go to www.k-bikes.com, there's a link on either the S or R page that will take you to the aftermarket ESA shocks. from what i understand you send them your shocks and they retrofit there replacement parts. so far i haven't seen a post were somebody has tried the aftermarket shocks and what results they got. after a year and a half of owning my 2006 S i rarely if ever change my settings so for me it was a waste of monay especially considering the cost of new shocks. if i buy another BMW it will not have ESA.

If you change how and where you ride often, get the ESA. I have it on my GT and love it. One up or two up are the most common settings, but from there I can change it based on the road we are on - comfort, normal, sport. It really does make a difference. I'll worry about replacements if and when that comes. I wouldn't use that as a reason not to get the bike, I mean we all buy new tires and oil....

You will have a blast with the K1200S. I think the 07 but I am sure the 08 rids you of the servo assist brakes which is one of the two complaints I have with my 06 model, the other being my knees and the stock footpegs. As long as your knees are not as wore out as mine, you won't mind this.

My K1200S has ESA, trip computer, heated grips. I use the trip computer all the time, but honestly if it just had the clock and the temp I would be fine (and the temp is really just one of those whiz-bang gadgets). ESA I thought would be a must for long trips and I do use it, but not all that often. Honestly, I leave it in one positon pretty much all the time, and only switch to comfort mode when I am doing long highway stretches.

Heated grips for me was the deal maker. I wanted a blue one, and the dealer only had access to two of them. One was their demo bike and was bare bones with 1500 miles on it, and the other had all the toys and was still in the warehouse. They gave me a pretty good deal to where it was a little less than a $2K difference. I figured with all the miles I put on it, I would give the ESA a shot. I do like it, but in hindsight I am not sure I would have spent the extra dough, and I would have just bought a pair of Gerbings.

Archived