IGNORED

motorcycle tires for cold weather riding

LeoS

I'm looking for tires for my K1200R that would allow me to be more aggressive when riding with cold tires in cold weather than my ordinary tires would. I'm only planning dry road riding, not snow or ice or anything like that. Thinking about maybe a softer compound rubber that would allow a better bite when the tires are cold than regular tires do.

Anybody know of anything? I would plan on buying separate rims and swapping them out when the cold weather comes, just like I do with my car.

Thanks,

Leo

Softer tires will typically give you less grip in those conditions because they require the tire to be warmer. Unless you're riding aggressively and continuously so, the tire will not be warm when doing cold street riding (assuming normal inflation). You're best to stick with a traditional tire that doesn't require significant heat to provide adhesion--that's how they are designed, to provide most of their grip without being hot.

Concentrate on adjusting your riding style instead.

I agree with David.

When I had sprts bikes I used to swap from sports rubber to sport-touring rubber in the cold months as the 'stickier' tyres need much more warming up to work properly and so the touring biased tyres gave better grip.

Andy

I'm looking for tires for my K1200R that would allow me to be more aggressive when riding with cold tires in cold weather than my ordinary tires would. I'm only planning dry road riding, not snow or ice or anything like that. Thinking about maybe a softer compound rubber that would allow a better bite when the tires are cold than regular tires do.

Anybody know of anything? I would plan on buying separate rims and swapping them out when the cold weather comes, just like I do with my car.

Thanks,

Leo

Hi Leo,

Welcome to the forum!

Which tires are you using at the moment?

Hi

I've been using Michelin Pilot Road II on my 1150RT for a while and find them very good in all kinds of weather. I do like to use a fair bit of lean and and have found these tires to give good grip in temperatures down to 3C, plus they work exceptionally well in the wet. I also get about 20% higher mileage than I used to on Bridgestones and Metzelers.

I just came back from a Local ride in Ontario...temp at onset was 3.5 C...pretty much freezing on my return.

I've used/and swear by, Metzzler Z-6's since they first came out. ( I tend to ride all year round when able...)Yeah..you have to watch the wear bars (which do exist) closely in the dying miles of the tire...other than that- an excellent tire all around inmo!

I just came back from a Local ride in Ontario...temp at onset was 3.5 C...pretty much freezing on my return.

I've used/and swear by, Metzzler Z-6's since they first came out. ( I tend to ride all year round when able...)Yeah..you have to watch the wear bars (which do exist) closely in the dying miles of the tire...other than that- an excellent tire all around inmo!

Ok, I'll bite. Where are these wear bars? First I've heard of them.

Keith

Ok, I'll bite. Where are these wear bars? First I've heard of them.

Keith

Keith:

You must not wear tires totally out, which is a good thing. Wear bars are bars that cross the grooves in the tread that become apparent when the tread gets worn down to them. Not all tires have them. They mean "get a new tire pronto!"

Bob

thumbsup.gif

Bob

I was talking about Z6's. There is no tread (groves) across the flat part (road contact area) of the tire.

Keith

Correct, but there are wear "indicators" on the Z6 rears. I don't have one in front of me, but from memory (so this might not be exact) use the TWI mark near the outside of the tread area, follow inwards across the tire and there will be a tred cut with two legs. Look closely and in the cut nearest the center you will find a barely perceptible raised "hump" showing minimum thickness. If the hump is gone, so's the tire ...

There are two more indicators further from center but you are not too likely to wear the tire down to their level on the street.

Archived