IGNORED

BMW in World SUPERSPORT?

duckbubbles

I received my copy of Roadracing World just this week. On pages 55/56 they have the headline: Truimph in 2008 World Supersport.

In the paragraph they say:

The other new factory in the series will be Truimph, racing in World Supersport with a 675cc Triple out of SC Caracchi stable. AND IT NOW APPEARS THAT BMW MAY ALSO COMPETE WITH A 675cc TRIPLE. The latest FIM World supersport regulations allow 600cc Fours, 675cc Triples and 750cc Twins.

I am well aware of the announced plans by BMW to compete in World Superbike with the K1000RS. But this is the first I have head of a 675 in Superstock. It wil take a completely newly engineered motorcycle to accomplish this. If true, BMW must really be serious about racing- Suddenly.

I put this as speculation in the wait and see category and doubtful at this time. I would like to see them compete in all forms of racing.

Frank

I too have heard this rumor...But I have heard its the twin they may run...

I can also tell you that SJBMW may run a R1200S/HP in the Formula Extreme class at Daytona 200 in March. And you can guess who'll be riding it...

MB>

MB>

Do you think a de-stroked 800? I don't think it would be very competitive.

Or would they design a new engine and motorcycle? All I can say is that if this is true, WOW!

The K1000RS might be semi-competitive, but I don't see it being much more than that.

The magazine also said in a different place that Dorna has been courting BMW to get into MotoGP for a while. I wonder if that is where those rumors came from.

Frank

MB>

Do you think a de-stroked 800? I don't think it would be very competitive.

Or would they design a new engine and motorcycle? All I can say is that if this is true, WOW!

The K1000RS might be semi-competitive, but I don't see it being much more than that.

The magazine also said in a different place that Dorna has been courting BMW to get into MotoGP for a while. I wonder if that is where those rumors came from.

Frank

Perhaps they are finally realizing they really need to get their name out there. I am still surprised by people who don't know BMW makes motorcycles. I am sure they have seen them but it never registered.

BMW is trying to get to/stay above 100k units. They are going to have to hit a few more price points to do it, the F800 series were a nice step in the right direction but using that new twin 650 might be interesting in more models (with belt)

I look at it this way, if they could take $4500 off the R Sport either they have some slack they don't admit to or were just doing a fire sale. It put the K into the range of many riders who would haven't even looked. Hell a 'busa rider at work was thinking of switching for the price I paid

Archived