IGNORED

Need a plan for 5-6 days out of Atlanta to someplace warmer ...

ElevenFifty

A good friend is about to leave for the middle east in January ... he wants to do a 5 or 6 day ride from ATL toward someplace a little warmer. Seems to me that the options are the Keys - New Orleans or somewhere in south Texas. We are both high mile riders ... and suggestions?

County roads to Charleston or Hilton Head, then down to Savannah and back to Atlanta is a favorite route of mine during the colder months, but it wouldn't fill your time slot unless you play around in those cities.

Two long days to Kerrville, two days riding the Sisters, two days back to hot lanta. Recommend the Inn of the Hills and their restaurant.

Bill

Two long days to Kerrville, two days riding the Sisters, two days back to hot lanta. Recommend the Inn of the Hills and their restaurant.

Bill

Bill - this sounds interesting ... the ride there via New Orleans and Austin ... riding the 'sisters' ... return via Talimena and central Arkansas/Mississippi. Better riding than the slab to Key West.

I find lots of references to the 'sisters' but no specific routes. A little more help would be greatly appreciated.

DH

David

If you come near San Antone and don't give me a chance to buy ya dinner I'll ride out to ATL just to....kick ya in the shins.

Your welcome to stay with us.....45 minutes from Kerrville and 300 miles from Big Bend.

BTW...If you let me go with ya we can take Francois hat on a tour of Texas before I send it back to him.

Whip

RE: The "Sisters"...those are some well maintained (usually) FM (farm-market) roads west and south of Kerrville. At least two of them are FM 336 (north of Leakey) and FM 337 (between Camp Wood and Medina). The scenery is awesome/classic Texas; however, the roads should definitely be respected. There are some fairly technical areas, areas with no guardrails, and LOTS of critters in morning/evening. In other words, ride your own pace and be careful. (Oh yeah, speed limits are fairly strictly enforced around Kerrville and motorcyclists tend to be a favorite source of revenue enhancement. bncry.gif )

Just about any road in the Hill Country/Kerrville area can be fun, but other "must see" area attractions include Enchanted Rock (north of Fredricksburg), the Stonehenge replica on Highway 1340 (west of Kerrville) and Luckenback (southeast of Fredricksburg).

Depending on time (and weather constraints), I might advise passing on the Talimena/Arkansas portion of the ride. Unless you totally slab it, you would be looking at pretty much a full day to get from the Hill Country to Central Arkansas.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

Hi David.

The "Sisters" are Ranch 335 from Barksdale to TX41, 336 from Leakey to TX41, and 337 Medina to Leakey. All great, twisty, and pretty different.

Would also recommend FM1340 from TX41 to Kerrville, TX16 from Kerrville to Bandera, and TX39 from Kerrville to Leakey.

Watch for deer, turkey, goats, armadillo, and about any other critter that ever walked the earth. Also watch out for the one eyed kitten at the hamburger joint in south Medina; he can see just well enough to bite a finger instead of the scrap.

Bill

Archived