IGNORED

NOAA issues Kansas heat stress warning

John Ranalletta

In reply to:

Stop often. Hydrate. Rest. Be safe.

What I remember from living in Kansas, it was the humidity that would do you in. Which means, you can basically forget about leveraging evaporative cooling when riding. Don't douse in water, you'll just be hot AND wet for the rest of the day, and that aside, your perspiration never evaporates! laugh.gif

The good news is, I-70 is SO straight, flat and generally BORING, that if you're about to pass out from heat exhaustion while on the bike, just set the throttle lock first and you'll eventually come around when you arrive in Colorado! laugh.gif

I road accross Kansas during this kind of heat. One nice thing about riding a Sportster was gas stops every 110 miles insured lots of fluids in me too.

If you do not have a camel back.....I would recommend that you drink 20 oz of water per 110 miles....more if you are an average to big guy.

This worked well for me and I was very alert in 114 degrees. You don't really know you are in trouble until you are...please be careful.

more mommy bits : coffee is a diruetic and sucks the moisture out of you...same with any caffinated beverage. Water is what your body craves.

russell_bynum

In reply to:

Water is what your body craves.

Water and/or a sports drink...gotta replace those electrolytes too!

I can't gulp down enough water, but I can easily guzzle 40oz of Gatorade during a 20 minute stop.

Stay hydrated and listen to your body. If you need to stop, for God's sake, STOP.

Joe Frickin' Friday

In reply to:

you can basically forget about leveraging evaporative cooling when riding. Don't douse in water, you'll just be hot AND wet for the rest of the day

High humidity does reduce the effectiveness of evaporative cooling, but it's still helpful. Extended wet can be gross and uncomfortable, but when it's that stinkin' hot out, you need to take every helpful edge you can get. Every stop, soak your jeans - at least the front of your shins/thighs. Soak your jacket if you can. Get a bandana wet, wrap around your neck.

If you don't yet own one, GET A CAMELBAK!!!! You need to drink lotsa water, and that's hard to do when you're trying to minimize stops. If you have a passenger and space on your back is limited, you can get a no-straps Camelbak that you can throw in your tank bag. Fill that thing up every time you stop; if your bike dies in the boonies, you'll be glad you have half a gallon of water with you.

Whenever you stop, check your pulse. If it's racing, you're too hot and/or too dry. Drink, hose yourself down, cool off, and wait until your pulse is back to normal before riding again. I've had this happen in hot weather a couple of times. Scary.

John Ranalletta

Thanks..

Like others, we'll be riding across northern KS on Friday. We're avoiding the slab, taking rt 36 all the way across. We've planned riding days from 6am to about 2:30; so, while we'll be riding in the heat, we'll stop early and swim/rest.

Archived