IGNORED

GPS Mounting

Lockguy

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS that I use in my vehicles(cages). I would like to find mounting hardware to be able to use it on my bike(R1150RT). I am not concerned about rain as I can tuck it away if that occurs. Any referals to mounting systems would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lockguy

The best gadget mount (arguable) for the 1150RT is from Gadget Guy.

http://www.gadgetguy.net/

http://www.gadgetguy.net/Catalog/04/KitIV.html

I had one on my RT before getting a GS and loved it. Sold it to Huzband here on these boards and (I think) he loved it too until he went the GS route too and ultimately ended up on a KTM.

The Bracket Kit IV with Base Plate I is expensive in comparison to a simple RAM mount on the handlebars or a shelf in the same location (but less prone to buzzy vibes than a shelf), but solid as a rock and blends in with the RT's styling, being nearly invisible. Plus, I use a RAM mount nowadays on the GS because of the mounting location, but to me you can't beat having a GPS up near your line of sight above your instrument cluster. I don't think I would like a GPS on the handlebars where I would have to look down and away from the road to see it. YMMV.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS that I use in my vehicles(cages). I would like to find mounting hardware to be able to use it on my bike(R1150RT). I am not concerned about rain as I can tuck it away if that occurs. Any referals to mounting systems would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lockguy

Hi, I have a Garmin Nuvi 250W that I use in my cage. I also mount it on my 1150RT on top of the tank between the gas cap and the triple tree . I can't hear it at speed but can in slower traffic. I can see it on full brightness quite well. I bought nothing special to mount it except one additional mounting disk. I mounted the disk on a piece of clear plastic that I traced to match the size of the disk. In this way if I ever want to remove the disk it won't hurt the paint on the tank...the plastic goo residue from removal of the plastic piece will come off with WD40. I mount the Nuvi on the plasic disk like you do on the car dash. I made a couple of modifications in case the Nuvi breaks lose (it hasn't in over 500 miles so far). I put a black zip tie around the base of the mounting hardware and attached a leash to it. I loop the leash around my map pocket on the tank or can even loop it around the handle bars as there's enough slack as not to interfere with the steering. I also secured the Nuvi to the to top and bottom clamps of the mounting unit using some black electrical tape. You can't even see the tape. It may not be a "professional" set up but it looks good, it's right in front of me and didn't cost more than the price of the purchase of an additional mounting disk.

Or you might want to consider something made a little closer to home...even the Ram ball is made in America! I made a couple more bases last week on a lunch break. This is really superior material and quality workmanship, ( if I do say so myself...), combined with thoughtful design. The idea is first to not require any modification to the bike, then to function with a minimun of moving parts, and be esthetically pleasing all at the same time. I tried to design the base to reflect the same radius curve as the handlebars so it would look as close to OEM as possible...

The base is machined on a CNC card lathe using aircraft grade solid billet aluminum then combined with a 1" Ram ball mount using a stainless steel hex head bolt. Including air mail shipping I charge 65.00 US.

Click to enlarge: OK, the Image Shack site seems to be broken this morning confused.gif, I will try to include the images a little latter today tongue.gif.

I have managed to 'attach' one image but it is the prototype unit and is a little beat up...also has a couple of screw heads that are not there in the one I make now. That was an experiment to mount a 1/4" bar across the base for the GS guys. The base is a 'pressure' fit since it is machined to .001" of the opening diameter and fits very snug.

Jim

955526-Resizedmount003.jpg.9b2d9961a7d37f9324e14ccc690ecad6.jpg

Archived