IGNORED

Kisan SM-5 Relay

Perlova

Hi:

I'm trying to install the red wire to the brake 12V line to override the cancel while brakes are applied.

Does anyone know where the best place is to pick up the brake positive lead? Or do I have to run a wire all the way back to the tail lights?

I tied mine in to the wire just behind the bulb socket. That was the only area I found with out a cover. smile.gif

How did you run the wire to the back of the bike?

When I installed the relay in the fuse box the SM-5 has a plug in the top for the signal fron the tail light. This wire I ran from fuse box back to the tail light.

I tied mine in to the wire just behind the bulb socket. That was the only area I found with out a cover. smile.gif

How did you run the wire to the back of the bike?

Wire tie it along the fame rail, then drill a small hole (from the bottom up) into the tail/brake light bulbs socket area.
With out a lot of hard tedious work, I would just go to the back.

Thanks....it's too bad that the top of the fuse box does not come off more easily (the part with the compartments).

It would make it a lot easier to wire in accessories

With out a lot of hard tedious work, I would just go to the back.

Well, I figured it out and it was not too tedious. In the compartment that holds the brake relay, I cut back the tube that houses the wires going back to the tail light assembly. The 12V power to the brake light is a grey/yellow wire. I pulled it out using a couple of hooked wires. I spliced the red wire from the Kisan Sm-5 to this wire. I had to remove the original relay clip to make room for the new relay which I fastened to the side using velcro.

I like this much better then running a wire all the way back.

See photo.....the original clip is still in place on the right side of compartment.

Img_2945.jpg

• 3 months later...

Perlova,

How did you get the original relay clip out? I've pulled and pushed on everything I could and can't get it out!

dopeslap.gif

John

2001 R1100RT

Perlova,

How did you get the original relay clip out? I've pulled and pushed on everything I could and can't get it out!

dopeslap.gif

John

2001 R1100RT

There is a retaining tab at the bottom front edge that when released allows it to slide first down, then come up and out. But to be honest, it's just about easier to break it out, as most of the time they break anyway.

Archived