IGNORED

Long Awaited Spline Lube DVD Ready To Ship

Ted

This past May, 2004, several of us along with the help of Tim Cropley, lubed the splines and replaced the clutch on my 2000 R1100RT. Big Dave (Dave Fish) video taped the whole affair and we have condensed the procedure onto a 60 minute (approx) DVD and are offering it for sale at the nominal cost of $12 which includes priority shipping to your address (Cont US only). Please note that we are only trying to recover our costs and that we have cleared this with the forum's owner before offering it for sale (we are not a commercial entity). If you are interested in a copy, you must email me at tedanddenise@comcast.net and I will give you further instructions.

I believe the R1100RT and the R1150RT would be essentially the same; however, someone who has owned both should be able to help. Once you get all the wires, cables, hoses, nuts, bolts, etc - out of the way, I'm sure the clutch and tranny area would be almost the same. But, that is an educated guess.

I learned so much watching, but there is ABSOLUTELY no way I could ever remember it all. Just Emailed you for further instructions, Ted. My thanks to you and Dave for making it available.

Bob

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Ted,

This is relevant right now and with a `99, I should be good to go. Now I just need a TV in the garage!

Maybe you should post this in the Classifieds forum?

Since it's only relevent for we R1100 owners, Dave suggested I post it here. Judging from the response so far, I'm not sure I could handle much more interest. I have email orders for 25 so far. Hope the computer holds up. :-)

Now I just need a TV in the garage!

if i get some software from another member i'll have an up and running pc in my garage.

now if i could only afford a nice lift !

Ted

Sounds excellent...one can never have too much info !!

however.....any reason you can't mail it outside the U.S.?

(I had a s/ware CD posted to me by a supplier by USPS, from Torrance CA on Friday 22nd Oct, and it arrived here Tuesday a.m. 26th. That cost US$5.00)

CD's aren't quite the same as DVD's. I didn't want to complicate the copying process by having to worry about differences bewtween NTSC and PAL formats. Trying to keep the cost within reach of everyone - perhaps I could burn some for overseas markets in the future once I figure out how to do it. I am a relative noob using this software and equipment, in fact, I just purchased dual Plextor DVD burners within the past 2 weeks.

News from DVD burn-land; so far, I have kept up with the high demand for this DVD. Many will be receiving theirs today or tomorrow. If PayPal is used, I will ship the same day I receive the comfirmation. I have not received any checks yet, but, they will receive the same fast shipping (I trust all of you). I have had over 60 inquiries so far and have shipped 18.

Hi Chris, I probably did, but, I have forgotten your last name (sorry) - I have had emails from 4 or 5 Chris's. If you didn't get a response yet - re-send it. I try to keep up, but, anything is possible now that I've turned 59 (ugh).

I am interested, please let me know if you can ship it overseas. I dont care for NTSC or PAL, I will watch it on my computer thumbsup.gif

Thanks, looks great and will be VERY interesting to watch.

My copy arrived today. This will help very much when/if I need to get this deeply into my bike. Thanks to all who helped and for taking the time to record this for the rest of us. Nice job. clap.gif

My son, Robert, and I were at the spline lube at Ted's. Robert has a photographic memory when it comes to things mechanical, so he kept telling me what was coming next. What a wonderful DVD, Ted, and a great opportunity to spend some time with my son -- thank you. My spline lube will come after Robert finishes the 400 wheel HP project on his turbo GTI.

Glad you are enjoying Dave's good video-taping job. Response so far has really been great - I have sold 40 so far, so, our costs should be covered.

While I'm sure there are different sequences to do the lube, the one I present seemed to work well. So glad the feedback has been positive. I have shipped 42 DVD's so far (12 today).

Received the disk last night and promptly watched the whole thing through. Outstanding job!cool.gif

I'm ready now to tackle this job with one very important lesson in the back of my head: have a landing area for all the pieces-parts that come off. Preferably one away from the dog who loves to take and hide wrenches in the first place! crazy.gif

Thanks, Gary. Glad you liked it and I hope it helps you - if nothing else, the DVD should raise your confidence level a bit. Have a buddy to help - I personally would not attempt the lube by myself.

I will be out of town Nov 11-->14. If you order a DVD during that time, I won't respond until 11/15. To date, I have sold 68 DVD's and all comments have been good. Thanks one and all for making this a successful project!

Great production and very informative!

I have to say that sitting there watching the operation, I was reminded of those Operating Room surgery videos shown sometimes on cable-tv where you see a patient's heart beating in an open chest; fascinating, but makes me terribly squeamish ...

Great job on the DVD, Ted (and Gang!)

Maybe I'm a masochist, but I actually wouldn't mind attempting this job. (Art B., let me know when your splines need lubing, I'll gladly help out cool.gif ...)

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

DVD Review:

I had the opportunity to view this DVD over the weekend. I was previewing it for John R.

The quality of the video and the commentary were first-rate. I found that the background music was a nice touch, adding a wonderful, soft ambiance to the whole production. wink.gif

While the procedure didn't look too daunting, I would guess that the whole job would take about five to six hours, if you have all the parts and tools on hand.

Viewing this DVD, with a nice Tanguray and tonic in hand, made for a great Friday night! thumbsup.gif

I only had to stifle my emotions once, but I had my Kleenex box close by! grin.gif

Well, Leslie and I FINALLY got to watch our copy of Ted's AMAZING Spline Lube Party DVD!! cool.gif What can I say . . . I'm totally impressed by the amount of work and LOVE that went into putting all that together! Ted, Tim and Dave (and others) THANK YOU!!

We had a wonderful evening watching it tonight, stopping it, reviewing it, figuring out parts of our bikes we'd never seen before, and explaining some parts to Leslie who had the same feeling as "Digitlartist" during some of the parts: "Aaaaaahh! You've ruined it! It'll never work right again! Aaaaah!" grin.gif "Relax, honey, it's just a movie, it's not real . . . oh wait, they did ruin it!" eek.gifgrin.gif

Although winter is riding season for us here in "Dry Town", I'm needing to at least do those pivot bearings! Gotta find some time this spring to check out the rest of the lube situation before all the rest of the riding breaks loose!

Thanks again and a great job! thumbsup.gif

Do I have any volunteers to come to San Diego to video an EVO Brake Bleed?? clap.gif

Soooo glad you all enjoyed the DVD - so far, 83 of our group here on the BMWRT forum have also enjoyed watching it - either it makes you wanna service those splines, or, to trade the damn bike in before you need to dopeslap.gif ...LOL

For those who are ready to order, I have switched from Priority Mail to First Class US mail. It saves me a $ or 2 and seems to be just as reliable (if not more).

Lone_RT_rider

Ok, I'm back in the hotel room and bored to tears. So I break out the DVD and watch it from start to end. I loved it! So many details that you don't have to work through yourself because Ted and crew took the time to do this for us. The commentary is priceless! Although, I can't seem to get Red Green's voice out of my head while Ted is speaking to the spline lube. grin.gifdopeslap.gifeek.gif

Shawn

Ted,

I need to replace the clutch on my R1100RT and plan to do it over the Xmas break. Your DVD would be of great help - Is there any way I can persuade you to send one here to the UK? Don't worry about PAL/NTSC (?) as I'll watch it on my laptop. I'll gladly pay the extra shipping if thats all that is holding you back.

Cheers

Niall

If it would help with the UK end ......

How about us UK members organising a 'bulk order' so that Ted would only have one package mail - assuming Ted agrees to our request.

Failing that..... are there any UK members planning a trip to the US in the next month ?

Juaninamillion

thumbsup.gifTed,

I just watched your video last night and it is great! I'm going to do the job this winter. I will also take advantage of the "dismanteling" to install a new clutch. By the way, where can you get the clutch aligning tool and how much will set me back?

PD.: I thought I was watching the procedure being done on my bike since it is identical to yours.

Thanks.

Hi Juan - very happy you liked the DVD! As for the clutch alighnment tool, I got it for free! There's a guy on the forum who makes them and you need to look for him. I'll see if I can do a search to locate him.

Archived