IGNORED

Going to work for the other side?

Wyn

Here's one for ya. I've been trying to get a sales job at the local BMW shop. Ain't happinin, the sales guys there aren't going anywhere and at the moment business won't support another salesman. Darn!!!

Soo, I cruise to the local Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki shop. I know one of the salesmen and have chatted a few times with the sales manager, having purchased my V Strom there.

It just so happens that they have an ad for salesmen. I had a nice talk with John,(the sales manager) and hope to have another interview next week with the regional manager.

I don't think I would have much problem selling those brands, in fact I think it would be fun. However, being an elitest BMW rider I can't help but think while I'm pitching them I'm thinking in the back of my mind, "you need a BMW" and that may manifest itself somehow.. Am I over reacting? Have I taken this BMW thing to far? Perhaps for spiritual enlightenment I should see if the local Harley shop could use a good salesman. lmao.gif

One positive note. Perhaps I would have some influence on newbie riders by stressing ATGATT!

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

At least you won't have to listen to FD failure stories or bitching, moaning and whining about how few dealers there are. grin.gif

...being an elitest BMW rider...

Just curious, but why do you consider yourself an elitist? I enjoy my BMW and can't imagine riding anything else, but riding one doesn't make me any better than someone riding another brand.

I can't help but think while I'm pitching them I'm thinking in the back of my mind, "you need a BMW" and that may manifest itself somehow..

I thought good salespeople could sell "refrigerators to eskimos". If you're selling Hondas while thinking "you need a BMW", I doubt if you would last very long.

Am I over reacting? Have I taken this BMW thing to far?

Yeah, I think so. grin.gif

Perhaps for spiritual enlightenment I should see if the local Harley shop could use a good salesman.

You will probably make more money there and the women who hang at the H-D are much more "interesting" that those at the BMW dealer.

I don't see a downside.

thumbsup.gif

best piece of advice i can give is peruse all the forums and understand how different groups use the bikes. understand the shortcomings and what upgrades people do. if you position yourself as a rider vrs a clueless sales dork you'll do very well and so will the shop. get the shop to stock the best mods in each catagory. point those out as being available right at the time of sale. go over what the mods are and how easy is it for them to find them. find the proper forum for each bike and send them there after they leave. you'll have a sale and you'll be a trusted knowledgable friend. bmw shoppers & sales people have enthusiam. don't see that often at Japanese places. it's just widgets to them. bring that and you'll have buyers coming out of the wood work! this crowd has less $ to spend but will spend freely if it's worth it. that's how i would approach sales.

"I could lie to anyone to sell a motorcycle." - That may be you (I doubt it) - "No one has ethics or integrity when it comes to vehicle sales." - I object to that frown.gif

You want to be in the motorcycle business.. you want to sell motorcycles. Someone makes you a job offer... you think the terms are equitable.. take it.

Ed

I don't think lying is necessary.

"I sure love my BMWs, and I couldn't fault you for choosing a BMW over this Honyamakawazuki. Just be warned, I constantly hear from my friends with BMWs that their final drives are failing, that their clutches eat splines, that their transmissions squeal and are clunky, and that their brakes are weird and grabby -- German prosecutors have even been investigating them for nearly killing riders! While I haven't personally been injured due to a BMW mechanical failure, is that something you really want to take a chance on? Consider the FJR or Concours14 in comparison -- tell me those aren't some hot bikes!"

...being an elitest BMW rider...

Just curious, but why do you consider yourself an elitist? I enjoy my BMW and can't imagine riding anything else, but riding one doesn't make me any better than someone riding another brand.

I can't help but think while I'm pitching them I'm thinking in the back of my mind, "you need a BMW" and that may manifest itself somehow..

I thought good salespeople could sell "refrigerators to eskimos". If you're selling Hondas while thinking "you need a BMW", I doubt if you would last very long.

Am I over reacting? Have I taken this BMW thing to far?

Yeah, I think so. grin.gif

Perhaps for spiritual enlightenment I should see if the local Harley shop could use a good salesman.

You will probably make more money there and the women who hang at the H-D are much more "interesting" that those at the BMW dealer.

I don't see a downside.

thumbsup.gif

Bill, The elitist thing is kind of a joke. I once overheard a squid call BMW riders elitest. Your right about the sales too. I don't think it will come through, just a passing thought in my evaluation. C'mon in, I'll get you on a nice ST1300!!! lmao.gif

As far as women at the HD shop, I'll pass. To young at the Asian store. I'll take a Beemer girl over em all. Ask Les I've been trying to schmooz her since she started straightening me out on this forum. lmao.giflmao.gif

Thanks to all. Great advise and well taken. thumbsup.gif

Kind of funny, the big local HD shop here posted an ad for sales people. $55K year salary, bonuses,401K, insurance, etc....

My wife was thinking about it for a while. Shoot, the IT gig is burning me out, I wonder how many units it'd take to make that a more reasonable number to live w/? clap.giflmao.gif

Bud,

Pull your punches up that was hitting below the belt. tongue.gif FD failure, been there, don that, but it's a distant memory, like 40K distant. It still hurt the wallet. crazy.gif

. However, being an elitest BMW rider I can't help but think while I'm pitching them I'm thinking in the back of my mind, "you need a BMW" and that may manifest itself somehow.. Am I over reacting? !

Actually you might save us by making sure some people DON'T buy a BMW! There are a few people I don't want to ride with so please don't disguise them as BMW riders

"I could lie to anyone to sell a motorcycle." - That may be you (I doubt it) - "No one has ethics or integrity when it comes to vehicle sales." - I object to that frown.gif

I second the objection. thumbsup.gif

Motion carries. clap.gif

A broad brush, particularly considering the contributions of certain people like Mr. Mihalka.

Oh, BTW, there aren't any "sides" on two wheels. cool.gif

You know, I'm not a salesman but even I can think of a lot of positives about the Japanesse bikes. There should be enough good things about them, even from a Beemer's perspective to sell them. Reliable, less expensive, great value, parts available, dealers available---all good things.

Even if they're not your cup of tea, they're a very valid niche. Just sell to that segment and you'll do fine.

Kind of funny, the big local HD shop here posted an ad for sales people. $55K year salary, bonuses,401K, insurance, etc....

My wife was thinking about it for a while. Shoot, the IT gig is burning me out, I wonder how many units it'd take to make that a more reasonable number to live w/? clap.giflmao.gif

Perhaps I should pay them a visit. Gone to the dark side of the force.

"With marital aids stuck all over it". wave.gif

I'd be more concerned that your exposure to the Japanese alternatives will likely have you abandoning any allegiance to BMW, especilly once you've factored in an employee discount to the already far lower prices. I doubt you'll have much trouble selling them, in any case.

--sam

Francois_Dumas

BMW's are not for everyone, so you should have no trouble finding genuine 'customers' for other brands wink.gif

Personally I don't buy from sales people who are 'lying' or exaggerating (and after 50 years I can tell!)..... no need for it either. Honesty sells. smirk.gif

I'd be more concerned that your exposure to the Japanese alternatives will likely have you abandoning any allegiance to BMW, especilly once you've factored in an employee discount to the already far lower prices. I doubt you'll have much trouble selling them, in any case.

--sam

Na, but I won't have trouble selling them.

If it means making money, I could lie to anyone to sell a motorcycle. No one has ethics or integrity when it comes to vehicle sales.

I'll have to watch for your ads in the classifieds tongue.gif

Thanks for your warning.

The guy I bought my last BMW from rode a Ducati ST3. While it would be nice to be able to sell your favorite brand, I don't think it's in any way a prerequisite. What it does take is an appreciation of and enthusiasm for whatever you're selling. Frankly, I think that the Japanese brands, without exception, offer quality, well-engineered products that in many instances are at least as good as the BMWs against which they compete.

If you're hell-bent on one day selling BMWs, it sure seems to me as though any experience selling motorcycles would be a good resume builder.

Agreed, couldn't have said it better myself.

I was hired today. Start on Thursday morning. Little scary though, straight commission and draw.

I was hired today. Start on Thursday morning. Little scary though, straight commission and draw.

How did your 1ST day go sell any Bikes

I sold Yamaha's and Triumphs ~1980 while only riding Harley. Hey, it was fun to be around bikes all day. In fact, I had a blast riding some of that fast metric stuff whenever I had the chance.

Do it. You'll have fun.

How did your 1ST day go sell any Bikes

First day went well, second day went well, even though no sales yet. I'm sure they will come shortly right now is beginning of busy season here in the great SE.

Big learning curve, product wise I do well with ST 1300, Goldwings and V Stroms. Coming up to snuff on cruisers and sport bikes.

I also had a great hands on on ATV's. The sales manager is amazing on product knowledge of everything. Bikes, ATV's, watercraft. Real straight shooter. No BS, straight with info., looking out for the customer's best interest. Now learning the other side of the coin, best deal is best deal. Can't give em away ya know! thumbsup.gif

Archived