IGNORED

2004 R1150RT Question

cyclebrkr

Hello all,

This is my first post to this forum and my first (soon to be) ownership of a BMW. I, like many of you, have been riding since i was very young, around 8 yrs. old. I even race AFM still, in the 750 class on a 06' GSXR 750. I want to upgrade to a better and more comfortable commute and long distance bike and the RT looks to be it.

My queation is this; I'm thinking of buying a 2004 RT with 117K mi on it. Should i be worried about the mileage? It just had the ABS system flush and clutch flush(?). I'm told the ABS flush is pricey and has to be done about every two years. I was wondering what i should look for as far as wear and tear items that might be worn out and need replacemment soon? I commute about 135 mi. everyday, rain or shine, so i thought this would be the perfect fit for my needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Stephan

My opinion & a dollar fifty will get you a cup of coffee but, I would look for a lower mileage bike. The bike should run for a long time but, why not try to find a newer one. Unless you're getting a great deal on it, look around a little more. Welcome to the board Stephan. wave.gif

Pat

There is one at A&S in Roseville( a 2004 with 117K)- asking price is 6997.

That's the one! I was wondering if it was worth it for that price. Of course I'll haggle final price, but i wanted to know if it would be mechanically sound.

There is one at A&S in Roseville( a 2004 with 117K)- asking price is 6997.

That's the one! I was wondering if it was worth it for that price. Of course I'll haggle final price, but i wanted to know if it would be mechanically sound.

We have several members here with over 100K on their RTs, and they don't hesitate to ride them across the continent, nor do they seem to have much trouble with them that could be related to mileage. An '04 with that kind of mileage likely spent most of its life on the freeway, and those tend to be low-wear miles.

All that being said, I don't I would personally be comfortable with buying an over-100k bike. But that's just me. Continuing to ride one that I had put a large proportion of those miles on would be a different matter.

Welcome to the board. wave.gif I think you could get a 2004 with a lot less mileage for just a little more money and I would look for that bike. If the cost is a major concern, you could get an 1100 with low miles for around that price. I agree with Bill, that the miles shouldn't be a problem, but I would feel better if I put them on myself.

Just looked into pricing on a 2003 R1150RT-P. The price was almost the same as the one mentioned in this thread ($6999.00), except it only had 48K miles on it. According to Kelley Blue Book, average touring milage (don't know where they got their number, certainly not from this board) for a 2003 was 24K miles. Keeping all this in mind, it seems your dealership is probably asking a little too much for that bike, unless there are lots of extras on it.

Just my $0.02.

My queation is this; I'm thinking of buying a 2004 RT with 117K mi on it. Should i be worried about the mileage?
That's allot of miles you didn't get to put on that bike. You can do better, especially with winter approaching. Just be a little patient and keep shopping, good deals are out there. And don't be afraid to shop out of the area, even the state. There are many fellow riders here on this board that have purchased from afar and got pristine bikes, sight unseen to them. There is usually a trusted fellow member that will take the time from their busy schedule to inspect a distant to you, potential purchase, saving you a trip across the continent. Just my 2 cents worth.

Everything wears out eventually. tongue.gif

Oh, and welcome to the asylum, the MRN asylum. grin.gif

Thanks guys! I'll keep my eye out for a good deal. There's an 04' here in my town and he want $10.5K for it. It has 28K mi. on it, maybe I'll give him another call. Thanks for the welcome guys!

Thanks guys! I'll keep my eye out for a good deal. There's an 04' here in my town and he want $10.5K for it. It has 28K mi. on it, maybe I'll give him another call. Thanks for the welcome guys!
That's a much much better idea! thumbsup.gifI would stick with the 04 though.

here are some RT-Ps '03 with 48k.

Bought my 2001 R1100RT-P with 50K miles on it 2 years ago for about $5500. Transmission failed at 57K. I put about $3000 into the bike rebuilding the transmission, and rebuilt just about everything that wiggles or moves except the engine and ABS system. My goal is to have a reliable commuter bike for the next $60K miles, and then upgrade to a R1200RT.

I don't regret my original purchase, but miles are miles. Whenever you're buying a bike (or car or anything else), you'll hear "Miles? those are highway miles. That <make of bike or car> is going to go another 100K miles on just gas and oil ....". However, when YOU sell it, it's "OMG! 112K miles?! Those are nice bikes, but that's a LOT of miles".

There's no way in h*ll I'd buy a 2004 RT for nearly $7,000, when there are all kinds of 2004 BMW RTs out there with less than $20K miles for under under $10K, and in some cases, substantially less than $10K. In fact, if you made A&S (assuming that's the bike) an offer for $5,700 cash for that 112K bike, I'm guessing they take your money immediately.

Be patient, find a low mileage 2004 RT loaded with farkles, and pay a bit more. Instead of buying a bike with 112K miles, buy one with 12K miles and put 100K miles on it.

My 2 cents.

Archived