IGNORED

Burning oil smell on 05 1200RT

New1200RTRider

New1200RTRider

On my 05 1200 RT when it hit about 13000 miles, started noticing a burned oil smell coming from around the gas tank.

I have read the post about engine oil seals so got a flash light and looked all around underneath the engine. Can't find any oil around the engine /transmission gasket. IS this the early symptom of the oil seal starting to let go?

Are you sure it isn't the burnt clutch odor that many R12 engines belch from time to time?

Gad! I've smelled that when sitting in metromess traffic and got off the bike looking for what was on fire. This is normal?

confused.gifAnd I thought it was my driving. On a recent trip through Germany, the clutch started to smell unpleasantly. Was on a hot day in stop and go city traffic .I bee-lined out of there and got back on the Autobahn. No more smell just a crackling exhaust after some high speed kms. grin.gif

I had a similar oil-burning smell on my 1100RT recently - 18k miles.

Although I don't know for sure if it was the problem, I did discover engine oil around the filler cap. I put a new o-ring on the cap. Haven't had a chance to test it, but I'm hoping that fixes it. May want to check around there on your bike, too.

Archived