IGNORED

Car attemtps to Intentionlly run me down on 101 during rush hour.

Bonkorama

Watch out for a red Paseo (really beaten) with lic plate 3xvw966.

Yesterday on the way home, splitting lanes on fwy 101, that car intentionally (and violently) swerved from the far left of the #1 lane into me.

Always vigilant, my reactions were quick enough to avoid collision.

I kept going for a quarter mile between lanes and then moved into the number 2 lane, then into the 3rd lane and which was considereably slower than the other lanes. I wanted to drop back and get behind again to get his plate number.

I didnt split beside him again for obvious reasons.

It took everything I had in me not to follow him home from a safe distance. I usually like to know where people like that live and work. I let this one go.

Keep your eyes peeled brothers and sisters. Not everyone sees us, we all know that, but remembering that some of those that DO see us are even more of a hazard is something to also keep in mind.

sigh. frown.gif

You didn't try for an arrest? When I had something like that happen to me almost 20 years ago, they were looking for the guy to make an arrest. Having to get off the freeway and use a payphone was enough of a delay that the guy got away. Don't know exactly what the procedure is now but I assume a LEO will fill us in.

Glad it turned out alright. I know the feeling though.

Today I had some jerk in a Mercedes look me straight in the eye and then attempt to merge right into me even though he had a Yield sign and no one was behind me. I should have probably just backed off and let him go on his cocky way, but I held my place (which was about even with his front fender) and had a choice to hit me, slam on his brakes, or hit a bridge abutment. He chose the brakes. Then he was kind enough to glue himself to my rear tire for about the next 2-3 miles. The speed limit in that area is posted at 25mph (traffic usually moves about 45-50mph)......I made extra sure I never hit 26. I don't think he appreciated my respect for the law(grin.gif). I really try not to do things or put myself in situations like that, but some people really just burn my *ss.

It was a beat up Paseo for a reason. He has mental problems and his car showed it. I would just blow it off, California LEO's are tired of hearing of the endless road rage stories. BTW, do not split anywhere except between the #1 and #2 lanes.

BTW, do not split anywhere except between the #1 and #2 lanes

I never do. But thats good advice, thanks.

I also agree on both points: 1- beat up for a reason, and 2- just another road rage story.

sheesh, pathetic isnt it.

You didn't try for an arrest? When I had something like that happen to me almost 20 years ago, they were looking for the guy to make an arrest. Having to get off the freeway and use a payphone was enough of a delay that the guy got away. Don't know exactly what the procedure is now but I assume a LEO will fill us in.

This is California. The guy could have pulled out a handgun and taken shots at a rider, and so long as he missed, law enforcement probably wouldn't have done much besides file a report. Given my experiences over the years, I'd say that so long as the wounds weren't fatal, you might have difficulty convincing law enforcement to do anything about it. That's what happened in my case. I got beat with a baseball bat and one perp was in custody with the license of the car well documented, and not only did the guy in custody walk without charges, but no one ever so much as knocked on the door of the car owner. But hey, what's a little road rage when you've got speeding tickets to write, right?

--sam

This is California. The guy could have pulled out a handgun and taken shots at a rider, and so long as he missed, law enforcement probably wouldn't have done much besides file a report. Given my experiences over the years, I'd say that so long as the wounds weren't fatal, you might have difficulty convincing law enforcement to do anything about it. That's what happened in my case. I got beat with a baseball bat and one perp was in custody with the license of the car well documented, and not only did the guy in custody walk without charges, but no one ever so much as knocked on the door of the car owner. But hey, what's a little road rage when you've got speeding tickets to write, right?

--sam

One option is to move to Texas where one still has the right of self defense..

DaveTheAffable

Yesterday on the way home, splitting lanes on fwy 101, that car intentionally (and violently) swerved from the far left of the #1 lane into me.

I was happy to read this.

It meant you were safe, and able to write it. wave.gif

thanks for the kudos yall.

I was THINKING - therefore I AM.

-- paul thumbsup.gif

BTW: I stayed off the road tonight. They were swerving already at 7pm tonight on my way home. So when I got here, shut the garage door behind me and put on my jammies ( ok, no jammies, its metaphorical) and watched some of my horror dvd collection with a bunch of sleepy cats and a sleepy wife.

its good to be the king tonight.

You are going to find a hard working LEO to help ya. Sounds like they are busy in your neck of the woods. It would require the LEO to find the bad guy and that takes time, which I do not think that any LEO supervisor would allow.

Couple of years ago I was work traffic in a neighborhood. They paid officer off duty pay for traffic in their nighborhood. I had a lady come up to me about a road rage incident. I got her to sign a sworn statement. She knew where the guy lived, drived, looked like etc............ Anyway I issued him a ticket for his road rage. This did not just take one day of work. Went to court and the lady and I won.

So it is possibly, but not likely, for this guy to get a ticket/arrest.

You are going to find a hard working LEO to help ya. Sounds like they are busy in your neck of the woods. It would require the LEO to find the bad guy and that takes time, which I do not think that any LEO supervisor would allow.

Couple of years ago I was work traffic in a neighborhood. They paid officer off duty pay for traffic in their nighborhood. I had a lady come up to me about a road rage incident. I got her to sign a sworn statement. She knew where the guy lived, drived, looked like etc............ Anyway I issued him a ticket for his road rage. This did not just take one day of work. Went to court and the lady and I won.

So it is possibly, but not likely, for this guy to get a ticket/arrest.

Hmmm ... Sounds like ...

Justice! thumbsup.gif

Or you could move to Austin, TX where self defense isn't needed because we all love one another, cars always yield to bikes and motorcycles, people stop and slow down to allow you to merge ahead of them in traffic and at night we all gather at Zilker park to join hands in sing "Kum-Baya". lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Actually I had a road rage incident here several years ago. I did nothing to provoke it other than obeying the speed limit, going 65 mph in a 65 mph zone. The guy behind me tried to run me off the road and when that didn't work followed me until I got to a stoplight and then got out and beat on my window, yelling obsceneties and trying to get me to get out of the car and fight him. I just drove away. I called the cops but they were totally uninterested. No blood No crime.

Or you could move to Austin, TX where self defense isn't needed because we all love one another, cars always yield to bikes and motorcycles, people stop and slow down to allow you to merge ahead of them in traffic and at night we all gather at Zilker park to join hands in sing "Kum-Baya". lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Actually I had a road rage incident here several years ago. I did nothing to provoke it other than obeying the speed limit, going 65 mph in a 65 mph zone. The guy behind me tried to run me off the road and when that didn't work followed me until I got to a stoplight and then got out and beat on my window, yelling obsceneties and trying to get me to get out of the car and fight him. I just drove away. I called the cops but they were totally uninterested. No blood No crime.

Actually, it has to do with "No revenue, no point in putting out effort". That has been my experience, anyway. In my neck of the woods, the only way to get action is to tell them that the other driver seemed to be impaired......HBD.......Under the influence. Big revenue in drunks.

I kept going for a quarter mile between lanes and then moved into the number 2 lane, then into the 3rd lane and which was considereably slower than the other lanes. I wanted to drop back and get behind again to get his plate number.

I didnt split beside him again for obvious reasons.

It took everything I had in me not to follow him home from a safe distance. I usually like to know where people like that live and work. I let this one go.

Keep your eyes peeled brothers and sisters. Not everyone sees us, we all know that, but remembering that some of those that DO see us are even more of a hazard is something to also keep in mind.

sigh. frown.gif

btdt. glad you're OK

Unprovoked, I had some clown in a Fiat try to take me out on I-95 near Niantic, CT one night in 1980. I ran, he chased me all the way to New London where I was able to exit and lose him on city streets. Had it not been 2:00am-ish I would likely have taken other actions but did not know what I was facing and at that time of the night, witnesses are tougher to come by.

I still get a little spun thinking about it.

Today I had some jerk in a Mercedes look me straight in the eye and then attempt to merge right into me even though he had a Yield sign and no one was behind me. I should have probably just backed off and let him go on his cocky way, but I held my place (which was about even with his front fender) and had a choice to hit me, slam on his brakes, or hit a bridge abutment. He chose the brakes. Then he was kind enough to glue himself to my rear tire for about the next 2-3 miles. The speed limit in that area is posted at 25mph (traffic usually moves about 45-50mph)......I made extra sure I never hit 26. I don't think he appreciated my respect for the law(grin.gif). I really try not to do things or put myself in situations like that, but some people really just burn my *ss.

Keith, what if he chose to hit you and you went into the concrete? You would still be right...but dead right. His response? "I didn't see him!" Is it worth it? I ALWAYS yield even though it takes every ounce of my being to do it.

A coworker was telling me how a motorcycle was trying to shoot for a gap in traffic and the girlfriend she was with was not having none of that! They ran the guy off the road into the bushes. The coworker was crowing and lauging like it was some kind of accomplishment. I unleashed on her and asked her since when is attempted murder cool? She still didn't get it. She felt he had it coming because he was on a speeding bike. A real eye opener for me. If a "nice" person thinks it is okay, consider a person who doesn't care.

Keith, choose your battles wisely on the bike.

Glad to hear that your OK. I know how hard it is to hold back when you run into such a fine example of why.....anyway, as long as your OK

russell_bynum

Keith, what if he chose to hit you and you went into the concrete? You would still be right...but dead right. His response? "I didn't see him!" Is it worth it? I ALWAYS yield even though it takes every ounce of my being to do it.

A coworker was telling me how a motorcycle was trying to shoot for a gap in traffic and the girlfriend she was with was not having none of that! They ran the guy off the road into the bushes. The coworker was crowing and lauging like it was some kind of accomplishment. I unleashed on her and asked her since when is attempted murder cool? She still didn't get it. She felt he had it coming because he was on a speeding bike. A real eye opener for me. If a "nice" person thinks it is okay, consider a person who doesn't care.

Keith, choose your battles wisely on the bike.

+1

I don't give a sh*t who has right of way if I'm on my motorcycle. I'm NOT going to win that battle.

The "best" case, is I wind up with a pissed-off driver in a vehicle that weighs six times more than I do glued to my rear wheel, and that is NOT an acceptable situation in my book.

[HIJACK]

GregB wrote:

upflying wrote:

…I would just blow it off, California LEO's are tired of hearing of the endless road rage stories…

sgendler wrote:

zbassman wrote:

4wheeldog wrote:

Actually, it has to do with "No revenue, no point in putting out effort". That has been my experience, anyway. In my neck of the woods, the only way to get action is to tell them that the other driver seemed to be impaired......HBD.......Under the influence. Big revenue in drunks.

Ouch. Not a lot of love for LE in this thread. Not to say that some of you don’t have legitimate points, however, before you pass judgment on LE in general, consider some of the following:

1. It takes two to tango. Although drivers/riders are sometimes the victims of unprovoked road rage, during most of my investigations of road rage incidents, both parties contributed some of the blame for the incident, even if the act that initiated the incident may have been unintentional.

2. Everything is subjective. When I interview the ‘suspect’ in a road rage incident, that person usually paints the opposite picture of what happened. I have yet to hear, “Yeah, I was a complete @$$hole, the other guy did nothing, I just decided to try to run him off the road for no reason.”

3. Without independent witnesses or evidence, it usually comes down to contradictory accusations. Despite your strong desire for ‘justice’, LE and the courts can’t make arrests/ get convictions without evidence of guilt.

4. In California LEOs can not issue a citation for an infraction committed outside of our presence. Many ‘crimes’ committed by drivers/riders during road rage incidents are infractions, as such they are only enforceable if observed by a LEO. Most misdemeanors fall into a similar category.

5. Most LE activities have nothing to do with generating revenue. Citations generate revenue, true. However, if someone tries to ram you with his/her car it is not considered a ‘traffic’ matter, it is an ADW (assault with a deadly weapon), handled by the detective(s) that handle ‘crimes against persons’. Thus, revenue has nothing to do with it, as detectives don’t write tickets (it’s beneath them…smirk.gif).

My suggestion would be that next time someone acts aggresively towards you in traffic, try to get away from that person as quickly and safely as possible. Like others have stated, nothing is worth dying over, especially not some jerk on the road. When all is said and done (and you've had some time to let the adrenalin and anger subside) ask yourself if you did anything to contribute to the incident (and be honest). This may help you avoid a similar incident in the future.

[/hijack]

Glad you're okay Paul, be safe out there and keep the rubber side down. thumbsup.gif

THanks MOTOR.

The reason I assume he was upset was, about 1/4 mile in front of me a sport bike was racing ( too fast for safety in my opinion ) thru the #1 and #2 lanes. I think it really upset this guy who was already sitting in traffic in an old junker... and the next biker got his wrath.

Me.

Was a good lesson.

I forgot to mention, that I did follow him for quite some time on the freeway from a distance, and he was head-banging to loud music and acting in general very distracted and erratic. Nothing you can really notice as you pass a car from the side, but you surely can see from the pack window once your close enough. His car was low, and the rear window isnt huge, so i didnt notice his behavior the first time, i don treally look into cars while splitting, but watch the negative space for changes etc..

A real dandy this guy was.

russell_bynum
i had a guy try to kill me too. i went out and bought a glock .45 now i carry it all the time. thank God i don't live in california

I'm all for law-abiding citizens carrying weapons, but to think you could/should use one to defend yourself against a cager while you're on your bike is an unbelievably bad idea.

Ignoring the fact that the time spent drawing and aiming the weapon could be spent getting yourself out of the danger situation...what are you going to do? Best case is you shoot and wound/kill the driver...then what? You have a 3,000lbs uncontrolled projectile careening around next to you at 70mph. Gee...that's an appealing thought. dopeslap.gif

And that says nothing about the possibility (which would actually be a near 100% gaurantee) that you miss...in which case hopefully you don't hit anyone else.

So, some schmuck tried to whack you on 101. Happens every day pal. I actually had to smack a guy who tired to tag me at a red light. Guess where his keys are now.

Since you have the license number, see if you can get the insurance carrier for that car. It is a matter of public record. A call to your insurance agent or a lawyer may be useful, they have all kinds of info. Write the carrier a letter detailing why they should suspend his insurance. A useful vent if nothing else, but it may cause a bunch of paperwork for him.

Would it put a hold on his license when he went to renew? If he has a license.

You may also want to explore swearing out a bench warrant. The next time (if) he gets pulled over, he gets a ride to jail and a mark in his permanent record, even if you have forgotten about it.

Scary...we need an anger emoticon. Dickheads exist all over the world

Saw these the other day. There's more, but this is all I could recall off-hand. Maybe one will fit your needs:

Regular A*s = (_!_)

Big A*s hole = (_O_)

Sore A*s = (_*_)

Wide A*s = (__*__)

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Yeah, watch out for a late model BMW suv in seattle. Black. deliberately tried to run me off I-5 last year. maybe it's time to renew my concealed weapons permit..... Or not, they'd probably just concvict me. Just get away from these dimwits and keep away. You've nothing to gain by road-raging back at them. Be safe out there.

Yeah, watch out for a late model BMW suv in seattle. Black. deliberately tried to run me off I-5 last year. maybe it's time to renew my concealed weapons permit..... Or not, they'd probably just concvict me. Just get away from these dimwits and keep away. You've nothing to gain by road-raging back at them. Be safe out there.

NOW you're talking sense. What are you going to do, shoot someone ? Incredibly stupid. Really hard to prove your life was threatened. Not to mention, what if it was a really dumb mistake?

Everyone wishes for a bar mounted dumbass-seeking missle occasionally. But to think you're going to draw on someone on the highway is dumb.

And remember - there's ALWAYS someone out there more psycho than you are, no matter how 'crazy' you might think you are, with a lot less to lose than you.

Swallow the EGO for a minute and either back off or zip on by. That's my technique.

Flame away.

AdventurePoser

Can't be too careful out on our So Cal freeways, right, Bonk?

Glad you are ok. We'll expect a more colorful, embellished account of the incident at Moto Coffee Nite... lmao.gif

Steve in So Cal

Im trying to make it! Im even getting up at 4am and going to work to try to get enough done so I can split at a reasonable time to get down there.

thumbsup.gif

wish me luck.

-p

i had a guy try to kill me too. i went out and bought a glock .45 now i carry it all the time. thank God i don't live in california

I will thank god tonight you don't live here either...shooting at a car on the freeway has to be one of the dumbest ideas I have seen posted here in a while...do a lot of practice with your off hand do you? Instant felony in most states (shooting at an occupied vehicle) and the odds of even hitting the intended target are minimal at best...what happens when you kill someone in the next lane over heading home from work?

Also why does everyone seem to be of the opinion a carry permit is so hard to get in CA? I know many many many people who are legal to carry here in CA....my neighbor is rarely (probably never) not packing and he is but one of the CCP licensed folks on our road...I know it varies by county but plenty of people all over this state carry legally....

Guns on motorcycles?! Seems like every MC related board I've been on at some point some one talks about carrying a gun while riding to protect them against the psychotic cager who might try to run 'em off the road.

This always seems like a bad idea to me. Even if one could some how pull the weapon while riding a bike at 70MPH, even if they could pull it and thumb off the safety, even if they could pull it, thumb off the safety and somehow aim the gun at the psycho cager all while maintaining control of the bike going 70MPH and while keeping track of other vehicles, turns, road debris, wing gusts, edge traps, pot-holes, and the 1 billion other hazards to motorcyclists that we have to contend with even if you could deal with all that while trying to accuratly aim and fire a gun, your still trying to hit a moving target from a moving target and your pitting your skills in a very precarious shooting position against a psycho driving two-tons of motorcyclist killing machine. The cager has already demonstrated their complete disregard for your safety. How will they react to seeing a gun in your hand? My guess is their reacton will be most detrimental to the motorcyclist.

But even if you manage to get the shot off and by some miracle kill only the psycho cager, at the end of the day you've killed someone over a traffic incident.

Personally that's not something I'd want to carry around with me.

IMHO when a cager does something stupid, which is almost a redundant statement, the best course of action is to use whatever means is necessary to put distance between you and the psycho cager.

A quote, from some source in an earlier life, I use as a mantra (under extreme conditions):

"I have all the protection of a butterfly."

It qwells the baser, more dangerous notions.

louisvillebob

More on shazbot10 comment:

When on the bike, I am constantly aware that I'm soft and squish easily. I try to stay away from hard, heavy things.

Keith,

A word of wisdom from an old geezer.....

One rule I teach newbies (and some oldbies too!!!)

NEVER, EVER make yourself a target eek.gif.

Live long and prosper thumbsup.gif

Archived