IGNORED

Tank lining coming off.....

jasonTDI

FWIW,

I have a 98 R1100GS and the lining is coming out of the tank. Found it tonight doing a filter change. The bike has 21.8K miles and sat for the past 2 years undriven, but with fuel in it. (I just bought it) Not too cool.

Just though I'd throw this out for you guys.

Just about full. I pulled 5.7 gallons out of it. It sat in a somewhat climate controlled garage. Probably was condensation. Oh well....

On a side note the ABS lights won't quit flashing. All the connectors seem good and were cleaned with some deoxit. Still on, any ideas? Or is a trip to Mischler's in line....

There's an abs reset procedure, think probably applicable to your bike although not sure, you can try. Run a search if no one comes up with it. Good Luck.

Are the ABS lights flashing alternately, or both together?

If the lights are flashing alternately after starting the bike and initializing the ABS (rolling the bike forward), then most likely you need to either charge or replace the battery. The ABS on the older oilheads needs a minimum voltage to initialize, and an old battery may start the bike fine, but not initialize the ABS.

Are the ABS lights flashing alternately, or both together?

If the lights are flashing alternately after starting the bike and initializing the ABS (rolling the bike forward), then most likely you need to either charge or replace the battery. The ABS on the older oilheads needs a minimum voltage to initialize, and an old battery may start the bike fine, but not initialize the ABS.

I agree with this. My '96 requires a restart after it has run for a couple of minutes from cold to reset the ABS. The lights flashing together means that the bike has not finished the ABS self-test -- waiting for you to move the bike so that it can test the sensors. Alternate flashing may mean a variety of things. Some folks claim that waiting 10 or 15 seconds after key-on before starting helps the ABS initialization problem. I have found the opposite is true. YMMV.

Thanks for the guidance on the ABS.

I got it off this morning, between the charging overnight and touching the switch the light went out and life is good!

Thanks!

Oh, did I mention I love this thing! Love the staintune exhaust on it too! You forget how quick newer bikes are after driving around on aa R60/5! clap.gif

Archived