IGNORED

Back-A-Line back support...users? Pros and Cons?

motoleo

I have a bad lower back and have been tempted to buy a product called "Back-A-Line" back supporter. Its basically a support belt you wear over your street clothes and under your riding jacket. CycleGadgets has them and I'm thinking of getting one to help with my aching back.

Interested in comments from users to see if it works, helps and how it feels on while riding.

I brought my Back-a-line back support on a seven day trip and it worked great for me. I also set it up in my duffel bag, which sat on the pillion seat, to serve as a back rest. At the time I rode my Bonneville but with the RT I am looking at the Bakup Driver's Backrest from Cee Baileys. Big difference in price but I don't find back supports especially comfortable to walk around in. All in all it worked great for riding purposes.

I have one I bought 2-3 years ago. It is a pain on short on off hops. I wear it occasionally on longer rides. Don't expect a miracle. I think it helps a bit on long rides by making you sit straighter, which really is it's primary function. When I first got it I noticed so little difference, I wrote the mfg to get a picture of how to wear it. I was wearing it correctly. As I said, it helps a tiny bit, but not dramatically.

I used the fabric type Home Depot workers used to wear and I thought it helped. I used it for longer trips and seemed to suffer less back pain, could ride longer with less discomfort.

Then one day I headed out and forgot my fabric version. After several hours I regretted I forgot it but was to far from home to go back. The next Home Depot I came to did not have any in my size bncry.gif so I kept riding.

The next day I arrived in Conway, NH and visited Whitehorse Gear/Press. They had the Back-A-Line.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=4746

I purchased one on the spot thumbsup.gif. The rest of my several day trip was much better and I was now glad Home Depot did not have one in my size because this one works much better. It's the ridged formed plastic that conforms to the small of the back I believe that makes it work better.

I now wear it when doing projects around the house that require a lot of bending and twisting. I recommend it! grin.gif

The only con I can think of is the price. Oh, and it does not pack down as small as a fabric one.

I apologise that I do not have the reference, but a couple years back "they" analyzed ten years of data concerning back injuries among home depot employees that were required to wear those back support belts. They found no reduction in injuries, compared with the general population. I assume that doesn't necessarily apply to pain relief among individuals with prior injuries. Personally, I've had back surgery a couple times, for a herniated disk. All of the docs that I've dealt with have recommended NOT to use those belts, but rather to focus on posture, muscle strength, and flexibility. So far it's working for me (knock on wood). That said, no two people or injuries are the same, so if the belt helps, then I say go for it. But give the exercise - posture angle a try. It's free.

I have one somewhere in the garage. I wore is a few times but it didn't help me. I've got two ruptured disk in the lower back.

The Doc got me to loose a few pounds and had me go for daily walks. That got my lower back in better (not great) shape.

Before that, I bought an item that did more for the back than the Back-A-Line which was in a golf catalog. Paine Stewart advertized it before his untimely death. It is compression shorts with a wide belt that velcro's on. I still wear it if I'm on a long ride. It reminds me to sit with better posture.

The best thing is to get the back in shape.

HTH,

finallyabeemer

I have heard the same thing about the belts and whether they reduce number back injuries when lifting. Stats say no reduction in occurrences. Questions remain as to whether that is due to no benefits, improper usage, or superman syndrome (ie, worker attempts to lift even more thinking the belt will save them).

That being said, I have worn various kinds of dirt bike "kidney belts" for years on longer rides. They may provide a little support when I'm slouching, but much more importantly, they are a constant reminder to mind my posture!

I bought one for a cross country trip in 2001. I still use it when I take multi-day trips but not everyday. Don't use it for day rides even if they are long. I've been blessed with a healthy back and I try to stretch everyday (especially riding days). They aren't that expensive and I recommend you try one. They are not a lot of different from the kidney belts bikers wore in days of old - velcro and perhaps a better fit.

A schwinn aerodyne excersize bike has been the most helpful thing I do for my lower back problem. Every other day is a must for only 10 minutes.If I miss it is very noticable. I do wear a back belt at work but without the bike I would still have a problem. I do allot of heavy lifting and I'm still able to race dirt bikes.

A schwinn aerodyne excersize bike has been the most helpful thing I do for my lower back problem. Every other day is a must for only 10 minutes.If I miss it is very noticable. I do wear a back belt at work but without the bike I would still have a problem. I do allot of heavy lifting and I'm still able to race dirt bikes.

I've got an Airdyne sitting in the rear bedroom. I guess its time to really use it and see if that helps before I buy a Back-A-Line!

Seriously, I had a real bad back injury about a year ago from a dirt bike wreck. I have a great chiropractor who did all he could do. I couldn't work out for 9 months partly because i was scared. I started very slowly with the schwin and each time i used it my back got a little better.

A back support, like pain-killers, treats the symptom not the cause. I have a bulging disc, and the only thing that keeps it from flaring up is proper body mechanics and faithful adherence to a core-muscle exercise program. A back support is like a string around your finger to remind you to bend from the hips, not the waist.

I have used one for many years on long rides and trips. It really helps me to have good posture when I ride. I liked it so much I became a distributer a few years ago. Still have a few left over that I am looking to sell for $30 each including shipping in the USA.

Archived