IGNORED

Checking oil level and what oil to use

ANZAC

Just a question regarding the proper oil level on a 2000 R1100RT.

I am looking at a used 2000 R1100RT ar a local dealership. The oil level is to the center of the window with the bike cold and on the side stand. There is NO oil in the window when on the centerstand.

I am thinking of buying this used bike and would like to know you opinions.

Also, what sort of oil do you run in a "oilhead". Right now I have a ZRX 1200 and have no experience with BMW oilheads.

Thanks in advance

The oil level of the bike should be to the center bubble when on the centerstand. I use the motorcycle oil made by Amsoil 20w-50 synthetic. This is my personal choice and many people here will have a lot of opinions about oil. So listen to all the opinions and make the choice that is best for you.

Other than that put oil in your bike and just enjoy riding it.

The oil level of the bike should be to the center bubble when on the centerstand. I use the motorcycle oil made by Amsoil 20w-50 synthetic. This is my personal choice and many people here will have a lot of opinions about oil. So listen to all the opinions and make the choice that is best for you.

Other than that put oil in your bike and just enjoy riding it.

Same here on the Amsoil. I also use the Amsoil severe gear oil in the trans. & final drive. Can't remember the #, I think it is 175/40. Good stuff! wave.gif

Just a question regarding the proper oil level on a 2000 R1100RT.

I am looking at a used 2000 R1100RT ar a local dealership. The oil level is to the center of the window with the bike cold and on the side stand. There is NO oil in the window when on the centerstand.

I am thinking of buying this used bike and would like to know you opinions.

Also, what sort of oil do you run in a "oilhead". Right now I have a ZRX 1200 and have no experience with BMW oilheads.

Thanks in advance

Mike, if the bike was only run long enough to place it in the showroom what you see is normal.. In order to get a USABLE & ACCURATE oil level reading the bike has to be operated for about 20 minutes (to allow the oil thermostat to open) ,, then placed on the side stand for about 10 or more minutes (to allow the oil cooler to drain back into the sump),, then placed on the center stand (to allow the oil to level out in the sump)..

If you are worried about the oil level have them run it long enough to get the OIL HOT (or better yet ride it),, then do the procedure above..

Twisty

Roger_Pivonka

In my bikes I use regular old 'dead dinosaur' oil and change at 6000 miles.

In my BMW 528i car I DO use synthetic because BMW tells me to AND the oil change interval is 15,000 miles.

If the motorcycle guys thought synth was right for your bike they WOULD tell you.

Use regular oil and put the big $$$ you save in your gas tank and Ride It Till The Wheels Fall Off!!

If the motorcycle guys thought synth was right for your bike they WOULD tell you.
BMW have their own branded synthetic oil for the bikes...
But I haven't seen anywhere where they say that in BMW motorcycles use synthetic instead of non-synthetic, and what benefits you would get.

Thanks for the advice guys thumbsup.gif

I though that what I saw might be ok as I was told the owner was very carefull about his keeping this bike serviced correctly.

That's an interesting oil checking technique. Glad we have the internet to find out these things clap.gif

As far as I can tell that BMW brand oil (made by Spectro) is only available in North America. There is an online catalogue of all BMW accessories on the BMW-Motorrad international site ( link ) and the only oil that lists is hydraulic oil.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

What do you guy's over in the UK use - the BMW stuff?

BTW, have you been to the Isle of Man TT? I have lots of DVD's including the 2007 TT with John's 130mph lap - great stuff thumbsup.gif

Thanks Andy,

What do you guy's over in the UK use - the BMW stuff?

BTW, have you been to the Isle of Man TT? I have lots of DVD's including the 2007 TT with John's 130mph lap - great stuff thumbsup.gif

No BMW stuff over here - The bike came with Castrol in it and most dealers here use Castrol GPS. I use Shell Helix diesel oil.

I have been to the TT many times, though not recently the last trip was in 1998. I must get over there again soon. We used to go every year, to both the TT and the Manx GP. I remember watching my dad ride in the Manx in the late 50's or early sixties. I cannot remember how well he did or even if he finished and it is too late to ask him now.

Andy

But I haven't seen anywhere where they say that in BMW motorcycles use synthetic instead of non-synthetic, and what benefits you would get.
Maybe not but I doubt they make it simply to fill the shelves. All I know is that my RT NEVER overheats using synthetic (I use Rotella), but will overheat in stop and go traffic on hot days with dino.
All I know is that my RT NEVER overheats using synthetic (I use Rotella), but will overheat in stop and go traffic on hot days with dino.

I just switched to synthetic 10 minutes ago(24,000 miles)...That alone is sufficient reason for me to use synthetic.. thumbsup.gif

Archived