IGNORED

throttle stuck using heated grips

yechave

I headed out this morning to the dealer for two reasons. See how all the gear / bike worked in cold weather, and buy some Plexus. On the way, I had the grip heater on high. Never used it before, never had a bike that had one. Half way there I noticed either I was affected by the cold and not releasing the throttle, or it was sticking.

I'd ridden this about 1500 miles so far, and have not had any problems prior to today. I then just left my hand off the throttle at speed, and it was locked in whatever position I left it in.

My guess was the heat swelled the rubber on the grip a bit. I assume the dealer moved the bar end out some, and that took care of it. No one really said. I didn't have time to wait another 90 minutes to find out.

I also realized none of the three pair of gloves I had were working very well for cold weather, even with the heated grip. Either too bulky, the wind went through or not enough inuslation with the nice leather gloves.

I went to Cabela's before returning home, which now carry a new style glove you may be interested trying. The ICE armor waterproof ice fishing glove. Used it on the way home and it was incredibly warm and comfy. Only $30. Couldn't be more pleased with it!

The last item I picked up today was a book "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch. Highly recommend this too. Maybe someone else would like to offer a review, if it hasn't been done already.

russell_bynum

The throttle sticking with heated grips problem is pretty straightforward. All the dealer had to do to fix it was loosen one bolt and slide the whole switchgear/grip assembly inboard a bit. What's happening is the grip is too close to the bar-end weight. When it swells with the heated grips on, they make contact and the throttle sticks. All they do is slide the whole shebang in away from the bar end weight to buy you some more clearance.

Seems like that should not have needed four BMW professionals to determine, more so being these guys live this stuff six days a week.

That was pretty much my quess, and it was only the first time I used the heated grip. Now, I wonder if they moved the switchgear /grip, or the bar end, and if it makes any difference. Be nice if they would have offered that. I have yet to actually meet any of their mechanics.

Leaving for our first road trip tuesday, I don't need any more to deal with than I already am.

Appreciate the information!

I headed out this morning to the dealer for two reasons. See how all the gear / bike worked in cold weather, and buy some Plexus. On the way, I had the grip heater on high. Never used it before, never had a bike that had one. Half way there I noticed either I was affected by the cold and not releasing the throttle, or it was sticking.

I'd ridden this about 1500 miles so far, and have not had any problems prior to today. I then just left my hand off the throttle at speed, and it was locked in whatever position I left it in.

My guess was the heat swelled the rubber on the grip a bit. I assume the dealer moved the bar end out some, and that took care of it. No one really said. I didn't have time to wait another 90 minutes to find out.

I also realized none of the three pair of gloves I had were working very well for cold weather, even with the heated grip. Either too bulky, the wind went through or not enough inuslation with the nice leather gloves.

I went to Cabela's before returning home, which now carry a new style glove you may be interested trying. The ICE armor waterproof ice fishing glove. Used it on the way home and it was incredibly warm and comfy. Only $30. Couldn't be more pleased with it!

The last item I picked up today was a book "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch. Highly recommend this too. Maybe someone else would like to offer a review, if it hasn't been done already.

Wayne, before moving the grip or housing make darn sure you don’t have a Throttlemister or similar throttle lock product on that bike.. If so & yours is twisted towards the locked position it can tighten up with the heated grips on..

Just try to twist the handle bar end cap on the throttle side.. If it twists you probably have a throttle lock installed on your bike.. If you do in fact have a throttle lock just turn it to the non-deployed position,, then see if the throttle still sticks with the heated grips turned on..

Twisty

Thank you for that tip. I just checked, as well as called the dealer to double check, and I do not have that on the bike.

Glad we were not scheduled to leave on the trip today!

wink.gif

My Throttlemiester works perfectly with the heated grips on. No where near as well when they are off.

I know there is a shim that can be adjusted to make it work but I don't really miss it.

ShovelStrokeEd

That is normal. It won't work just right under both conditions (cold grips or hot). The ThrottleMeister just doesn't have the range of motion necessary to accommodate the expansion of the throttle sleeve due to heating. When I had a bike with the heated grips I would just adjust the entire housing twice a year. In the spring, slide it in tight, in the autumn, move it away a bit.

Lots of folks have had good luck with using a credit card as a spacer when making this adjustment. Slide credit card between throttle housing and TM with the TM fully retracted. Now slide the entire housing over till it just grips the credit card. Tighten the pinch bolt and you are set. Takes longer to type this than it does to perform the adjustment.

Archived