IGNORED

F650GS vs KLR 650 (08)

bimmers

Anyone with any opinion on this? I am considering a new decoration for the garage (my responsibility at home) and it should be something that I can ride a few hundred miles at a time and take off the paved surfaces (the 1200RT was a beast on 15 miles of gravel) and have some fun with.

2 grand is price diff for new ones and few used ones available.

h

I just bought a '08 KLR650 and think it is a great bike. I'm planning on riding the Dempster Hwy next year and my RT just isn't the bike for that much dirt. I looked at the 650GS, the 650 Wee-strom and the KLR, the KLR was the cheapest and would do everything I want. It is fun to ride too, I've never had a bike with a chain so that is interesting. I'm going for a long road ride on my Beemer next summer but I'm checking the map for dirt roads too. There is a forum called KLR650.net that has lots of information about the KLRs. What decided me was definitely the price. they're all good choices.

I would say the KlR is more off road oriented and the GS is more on road. The KLR seat was too high off the ground for me. The F GS, both Dakar and Regular may have been discontinued in favor of the 800 GS which is still to break cover. Things like Dealer nearness may have an effect also. Both have been used to go round the world, and I have no reason to believe the 08 KLR would be any less road/trail worthy than the ones that went before. I use my GS for commute and maybe 5% off road, so it is perfect with 65 to 70 Mpg. and Fuel injection. Also, it gets much more comment from the general public than my friend's KLR. (for whatever use that is to you).

thnaks, had a test ride today on 650GS but it was a low version and felt awkardly low (I am 5.11) but otherwise fun especially after 3 hrs in the seat of my 1200RT.

They just got a used Dakar in also with all whistles and bells (guy traded for G650X) on the new X they have a 1,500 usd incentive but I do not want something that extreme. Guess that is why their warehouse is full of them.

I have to do some thinking now and see what offers I can get.

My dealer is only ab. 6 miles from home so I am ok as long as I live here.

h

I have an 06 Dakar and it's the most fun bike I ever had. I take it to the Georgia mountains and it will handle the dirt roads up there as well. Turn off the ABS in dirt and you have the best mountain carver you can have up there.

I have an 06 Dakar and it's the most fun bike I ever had. I take it to the Georgia mountains and it will handle the dirt roads up there as well. Turn off the ABS in dirt and you have the best mountain carver you can have up there.

No, no, no!!!

Get a KTM 950 Adventure. Now, THAT'S the most fun bike you'll ever ride, on road or off. thumbsup.gif

It's a veritable amusement park on wheels. cool.gif

hmmmm,

thinking ab the 650 Dakar, a used one with 8k miles and lots of extras, would though love to break the bike in myself and not get a used one that has been raking up miles on hard rocks.

this week I will decide.

Cannot test ride a new KLR so it is out of the picture.

h

I am doing the demspter next year as well (Lord willing) and bought a used f650 funduro to do it...

kawasaki has sold a lot of klrs over the years, the basic design has not changed significantly and so you can find may used ones at wide range of prices some with quite an assortment of farkles... i think the f650 is a great bike, but in a pinch, honda, suzuki, kawasaki, ktm, bmw all offer bikes in the size range that will get you there, if this is your first of road adventure, don't get locked into something just to have it new, beg, borrow and try a few different bikes to help you decide, also check up on the forums and read about the pros/cons for each, they all have them...

ordered the new GS. Done.

Will pick it up tomorrow (wife permitting) and then get a few hundred miles on it during the weekend.

thanks for all advice and experiences

h smile.gif

• 2 months later...

Good luck with your decision. I have had four KLR650s and spent a lot of money on the last one. Lowered it 3" (I am 5'+10 1/2" with a 30" inseam)so I could touch the ground with my doggies, did the "doohickey" repair, adjusted the valves (no small undertaking), and some other easy mods.

I had wondered about all that weight and had never dropped either of the ones I had had previously. I had a friend help me lay it down in the grass gently to just see if I could pick it up. I could not! I tried everything. I am not a 90 pound weakling but I tried backing up to it, as the little lady does in the video picking up the Goldwing, I tried locking the handlebars and levering it several ways to no avial. I could not pick it up.

Since I enjoy riding alone on back roads, both gravel and dirt up in the mountains, I was faced with the fact that I could not ride alone any longer with any confidence. Sooner or later riding off road you will have to step off the bike and lay it down. It's just a matter of logic.

I am telling you this just to give you something to think about. The KLR is a very top heavy scoot. Very top heavy!

I sold mine and bought a Suzuki DRZ400. For my size it is perfect and very powerful for only a 400.

Again good luck.

Terry

what about the new 800 gs? If its anything likee the ST, it will have a better engine and better steering and be bigger than the 650 but smaller than the klr

The new F800GS is not going to be availble for purchase until Fall 2008 the dealers say.

If you have plans to ride this summer, it is not an option.

Archived