IGNORED

Someone asked me..."What is the UnRally" ?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

There is a new member from up in the NW. In another thread he asked me "What is the UnRally?"

I'll respond that it is the annual worldwide BMWSportTouring.com gathering where we get together, break bread together, ride together and tell lies together. grin.gif

It was the first group event back in 2002. It might not be the largest gathering anymore and scores of regional events have sprung up along the way...Spring Torrey, Fall Torrey, El Paseo, Blazing Saddles grin.gif, BB&B, Death Valley Daze, etc. But it was the first and gets people together who have only previously conversed in this electronic forum.

It's a way to bond with old friends, remember fallen riders and meet new folks. It is a casual affair...no vendors...no stress...no worries.

Please add to this thread and help me tell what the Un means to you! smile.gif

It is a chance, an opportunity to first read about, like minded and greater minded individuals, through their ride tales. If the whim, or the excitement of riding a bike across America draws you in and you would like some company, a family of internet unknowns if you will may be willing to accompany you at some point on your quest!

I sold my loud HD, bought my first BMW and hit the road. The Un-Rally was not the draw for me, but the Pied Piper to the Un-Rally and how and when I could catch it!

These guys and gals are some of the best riders in the world, safe, technical and as anal as you wish!

• 5 weeks later...
Can I kill a thread or what?

lmao.gif

Nice job on the Thread-CPR, dude!! Nothing like the beaming face of a proud new bike owner to get our attention!!

birthdays40.jpg

Lookin' Good, Jean!! Congrats!! clap.gifclap.gif

Can I kill a thread or what? birthdays40.jpg

You sure revived it with a beauty! Hi Jean wave.gif

Good thing your HD is no longer your primary ride. All you'd ever see is Jean's tail....light. tongue.gif

Hmmmm... Maybe not so bad afterall! thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Okay guys cut that out. I must say tho getting back to the topic 07 was my first unrally and David couldn't get me to get on this forum before that adventure! Since then all of you guys are like family and I get on the forum now just to see what the family is up to because I miss you all so much!!! SO if you have never been to an unrally you really really need to go! The vote is still out on if I am going to ride my own bike or not!!!

The more the merrier on the Pied Piper thumbsup.gif BTW, is anyone working on that?
After chatting with a few members from back east at the last UnRally, I was lead to believe that there would be at LEAST a few Pied Pipers heading to the Pacific NorthWest! *hint!* *hint!* grin.gif

I'm thinking at least one starting in Florida and another starting in the North East! clap.gif

(Oh, and Jean . . . I think it's time to edit your sig line! wink.gifthumbsup.gif )

I haven't yet attended an "UN" but I go to lots a regular BMW rallies each year.

How many folks are also regular rally rats?

Seems the UN's are motel type thing?

russell_bynum

It was the first group event back in 2002. It might not be the largest gathering anymore and scores of regional events have sprung up along the way...Spring Torrey, Fall Torrey, El Paseo, Blazing Saddles , BB&B, Death Valley Daze, etc. But it was the first and gets people together who have only previously conversed in this electronic forum.

Actually, you got that backwards. There had been 3 Torrey's, Gleno's big Tech Daze, the Pied Piper Tour up to the MOA Rally in Redmond, at least two DVD's (DVD wasn't organized by our group, but a bunch of forum members went and rode together), and ShortCut's Christmas Party before UnRally was even conceived. (And that's just the West Coast stuff...I know there were gatherings elsewhere in the country as well.)

UnRally was the brainchild of our very own FastMoFo, Tom Roe, who said (while standing on ShortCut's driveway at the first Christmas Party..."I wonder if we're big enough to have a national Rally?"

That idea was nurtured by a bunch of folks (Fernando, Tom, Jake, etc) and grew into the first UnRally in Gunnison, CO.

But UnRally grew out of those events, not the other way around.

As for "What is an UnRally"...you said "It's a way to bond with old friends, remember fallen riders and meet new folks. "

The reason I go to UnRally is to ride. All of that other stuff happens, and is important, but it is all centered around riding. From the Aspen loop that we did at Un1 with Murrayg, Sean/Shelly, Bigfoot/Littlefoot, SageRider, etc (where we met Malcolm Smith at gas station in the middle of nowhere on US50 as we were replacing Lester V's broken throttle cable), to the "Smoke Hole" ride that I did with Big-t, RightSpin, Spike, and company at the Staunton UnRally...it's about the riding. Lots and lots of world-class riding with like-minded fools who just love turning gasoline into smiles and making little bits of balled-up rubber appear on the underside of their rear fenders.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I haven't yet attended an "UN" but I go to lots a regular BMW rallies each year.

How many folks are also regular rally rats?

Seems the UN's are motel type thing?

Lotta regular rally rats. And the lodgings are split between motels and camping...nearly 50/50 as we surveyed past events. The headquarters this year are at the campgrounds too. This isn't a rally, per se. You won't see vendors, beer gardens, door prizes or poker runs. What you do get is a tee shirt, some stickers, and some really great riding opportunities. Hope to see you there! wave.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Actually, you got that backwards.

I'm glad someone finally stepped in to correct me! I was just guessing on most of it. grin.gif

Can I kill a thread or what? birthdays40.jpg

Looking good Jean. You are a natural. That old man you live with better look out or all he will see is tail light. grin.gif

My first UnRally was in Arkansas. I had seen bits and pieces of Arkansas before, but this trip showed me a state with some fantastic roads. The fun with the folks there at the "Iron Horse Stables" in Eureka Springs was only slightly dampened by the torrential rains that followed me all the way home. grin.gif

• 1 month later...

Un’s are just that. Let me splane.

I had moved to Minnesota from Las Vegas and wanted to meet new friends.

I knew that BMW owners did a lot of group activities, so without so much as a test ride I purchased a R1100RT (it was love at first sight). I started riding with these local groups and as nice as they were, it was like watching paint dry.

It must be these “Rallies” they all spoke of so fondly. So I set my sights on that year’s MOA National. It was there that I found out just how hard it is for a loony like me to “fit in” (can’t put your tent here, your not one of us). I tried other group rides/gatherings with some really nice folks but they too left me swearing off any more group activities.

That was until we all stumbled into each other in Torrey. It all started there. We were not like anyone else. The best way to describe it goes like this. A friend of mine has a dinner at his house were he tells guests to bring an ingredient. He doesn’t know what they are bringing and doesn’t care. He takes all those oddball things, adds a little love, cooks them up and its always fun and its different every time.

I got away from the MOA because I wasn’t a rally rat. I wanted to meet folks who didn’t plan the fun out of life. They just wanted to share a fast sweeper, a cold beer, a laugh and a big hug.

The Un was born. It was the best to share it and the best way to spread it.

I still look in here every once in a while, kind of like grandpa on the porch, watching the kids playing in the back yard.

You all make me very proud.

But if you kids ever start riding in too straight a line or not hugging enough…….

Hugs and Kisses

Tommy

russell_bynum
I wanted to meet folks who didn’t plan the fun out of life. They just wanted to share a fast sweeper, a cold beer, a laugh and a big hug.

Yeah baby.

You guys just want to do that naked circle dance thing....again.

Guilty, I'll bring the Pucker!!! You bring a priest!

For me, the Un is a mostly social event. Over the last 4 years, "I didn't get out much" and suffered for it. However, when I did take days off it was to go to events like these. These folks have become my family, so I can't go too long without seeing them. I'm now slowly clawing my way back to "getting a life" but these people 'round here now make up almost all my friends and I can't let a gathering go by without doing all I can to be there.

And to sum it up in a one liner:

"To get a hug from Mama Hoon." That should cover it!!!

Richard, you must be a carpenter. You hit the nail on the head. This group contains most of my friends. As I have become unbearably busy and have succumbed to missing out on 99 percent of the get togethers, I have really missed the social time. And boy of boy, those hugs are sooooooooooo awesome.

Archived