IGNORED

Driving Lights Hit Fender

Perlova

I just noticed a few scratches on my front fender and they appear to have been caused by the small driving lights installed just below the oil cooler.

These light have been on the bike for a long time and I don't understand why they would only have hit now. I did recently bump off of a short curb. I did not think that it would bottom out that far.

Does anyone know how close the fender gets to the front cowling under full compression of the shocks? It's a 2000 R1100RT.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

In the really big hits, the plastic nose piece under my oil cooler hits my fender. I can imagagine that anything lower will do the same.

In the really big hits, the plastic nose piece under my oil cooler hits my fender. I can imagagine that anything lower will do the same.

Like Tom said it will hit without anything there on big ass dips.

Putting things in between this SUSPENSION spot may be subject to getting damaged or causing damage.

Yes lots of people run lights here but they are specific PIAA lamps that are the smallest available.

I had the same problem a month ago. Not only was I getting marks, but I was hitting hard enough to brake bulbs. I reinstalled the lights on the fender and no problems now. I actually like it off of the front fender better as I am more visible and the lights turn as I turn the bars.

I think the folks who have them installed under the oil cooler have the expensive Piaa's and may have after market shocks??

There were also some folks installing the fender from a K12/RS I believe. It is carbon fiber (looking at least) and sits very close to the tire. My PIAA 1100's on the EZ-mount would (barely) touch the fender with stock shocks. With Works Performance shocks they have not touched.

It happened on my bike too. I replaced the stock front shock with a Wilber's. Now the front-end doesn't compress as much. I also switched to a smaller fog light and set them back a little farther. I don't have the problem anymore.

My '04 RT has PIAA lights and they also hit the fender and not always with severe movement. My biggest issue is that it tilts the lights up and off focal path so they don't light the road well. I mostly want them for oncoming daytime visibility anyway. The bike has 65,000 miles so the shocks could be a bit worn. If anybody has other fix suggestions, I'd like to hear about them.

Rgds, Norm

Yep, same here but with deer whistles. When I first got the bike I had them mounted on the front fender under the oil cooler.....knocked them right off.

Archived