IGNORED

Looking for Leather...

jaytee

Hey!

I have always preferred leather in a motorcycle jacket. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to get the type of jacket I am looking for. I have owned a Fox Creek vented racing jacket for 3 years now, which has done a very good job, except that it is desiged for a stright-up seating position (like on a cruiser or maybe an RT), and it bunches up uncomfortably on the ST.

So here is what I am looking for:

1. zipper vented leather jacket

2. in some color other than plain black

3. high-quality leather in look and feel

4. removable liner

5. cut so as not to bunch on a forward-leaning bike

6. conservative styling (no ICON or joe rocket looks)

Any ideas?

JT

One of my most recent issues of a bike magazine had a comparison of leather jackets. It may have been Rider or Motorcycling. Nice article.

Good hunting!

Sounds to me like you just described a Vanson Mark II Cobra II or the like. Or maybe not. grin.gif
I don't know if this is an issue or not, but keep in mind, Vanson is apparently having a LOT of financial problems at the moment. I have some Vanson pants that I wanted to get repaired, and they just wouldn't respond at all. They make good products but customer service has never been their strong point.

Also, the Spidi Seven jacket might be an option. The Seven and the NRG are on clearance at newenough.

Sounds to me like you just described a Vanson Mark II Cobra II or the like. Or maybe not. grin.gif
I don't know if this is an issue or not, but keep in mind, Vanson is apparently having a LOT of financial problems at the moment. I have some Vanson pants that I wanted to get repaired, and they just wouldn't respond at all. They make good products but customer service has never been their strong point.

Also, the Spidi Seven jacket might be an option. The Seven and the NRG are on clearance at newenough.

I have a Mark II Cobra and actually considered the Spidi NRG first. They are very nice jackets and I'd dare say superior to Vanson in many ways. I wasn't convinced the ventilation would be as good as the Vanson. I didn't suggest them to jaytee due to his styling concern, but if I was buying another leather jacket, I'd certainly take advantage of the New Enough deals. I generally don't wear the Vanson on days when I need that much ventilation. dopeslap.gif

My only caution would be pay attention to sizing. The Spidis I tried on wear very snug for their given size.

I actually like the black/grey Spidi stylilng better than the Vanson.

Ok, Ive checked out al lthe links and jackets but they arent quite what Im looking for...

I guess I am wanting a stylish jacket that is made wit hthe quality of leather appropriate for protections... something like this: Nordstrom Leather Jacket

Obviously that isnt made to actually crash in.

Any other ideas of companies to try?

JT

Dainese. Love my set (jacket/pants)

My local store carries them

www.motoliberty.com

http://www.dainese.com/eng/home.asp?f=ko

Check 'em out there.

Ok, Ive checked out al lthe links and jackets but they arent quite what Im looking for...

I guess I am wanting a stylish jacket that is made wit hthe quality of leather appropriate for protections... something like this: Nordstrom Leather Jacket

Obviously that isnt made to actually crash in.

Any other ideas of companies to try?

JT

Alpinestars TZ-1

READ REVIEW HERE

Fits your requriements pretty well as they are also mine when getting gear! I do like black though.

Hmmm just saw your link for Norstrom. Maybe we do have different ideas.

Maybe someone can make you one. I know it can be done within a 400 dollar range here in LA.

Hmmm just saw your link for Norstrom. Maybe we do have different ideas....

What I want is a jacket that looks like I could be wearing a pair of slacks and a silk polo shirt with in order to visit clients (I am a tax accountant). I don't like showing up for field appointments in squidly red/white/blue or thuggish black/studs/zippers.

JT

PS: this is all trying to find ways to ride even more!!! thumbsup.gif

What I want is a jacket that looks like I could be wearing a pair of slacks and a silk polo shirt with in order to visit clients (I am a tax accountant). I don't like showing up for field appointments in squidly red/white/blue or thuggish black/studs/zippers.

JT

PS: this is all trying to find ways to ride even more!!! thumbsup.gif

I also have a BMW Freeway jacket and it sounds close to what you're looking for. I do not think they are still available. I bought mine from a liquidator on E-bay, but here's a link to BMW leather gear FYI: http://www.maddock.ie/bmwleathers.htm

finallyabeemer

Z Custom Leathers is in SoCal, and they will make it in just about whatever color or pattern you want. And fit you exactly how you want.

Of course, they also charge an appropriate price for the quality, customization, and perfection. But a perfect fit is worth it.

Ok, I like a bunch of these suggestions style-wise - they dont scream I'm a motorcycle jacket!!!

As to brown being a requirement, I think so... not because I have anythign against black per-se, but in brown it automatically doesnt look like a prototypical motorcycle jacket.

I'll check out the local customizer too, and see what their options are.

Thanks for all the help guys!

JT

Ok, I like a bunch of these suggestions style-wise - they dont scream I'm a motorcycle jacket!!!
The funny thing is that my current favorite leather jacket (off-bike as it has no armor) is a "motorcycle style" jacket. smile.gif

Keep in mind that brown will probably show bugs and other signs of the road more than black...

Keep in mind that brown will probably show bugs and other signs of the road more than black...

I know, but this isn't going to be my usual wear jacket - just when I want to work from the back of the bike. The other pieces to the ensemble will be some sort of semi-stylish over-ankle boots (also likely in brown) and maybe a Draggin Jeans chinos style blue or tan pants with a polo shirt. That way I have complete coverage with protective gear, but look reasonable for a casual field client (I do a fair amount of field work for trucking companies, retail shops, etc...)

JT

Archived