IGNORED

Using Oil?

tazplas

I'm off on a ride this week (public holiday on Thursday)and i thought i would check the oil level. Well bugger me, i brought the bike at 105263km with a full oil level. Now sitting on 106990km and no oil in the sight glass. No leaks so that's not the problem.

My question is, is this normal usage or what?

Going to top up with Shell 20-50 tonight.

Thoughts and comments appreciated

Steve confused.gif

Checked the bike originally when i brought it after a 250km ride home but when it was cold the next morning. On centre stand , level garage.

Thought i would check when i got home today after work. Same method but only waited about 15 minutes for something to appear in the sight glass. Then i posted the question.

Have topped it up now approx 2 hrs after coming home. There was still no sign of oil in the glass at the time.

All good now. I didn't measure it but i reckon it took about

1/3 to 1/2 litre.

Steve

I'm off on a ride this week (public holiday on Thursday)and i thought i would check the oil level. Well bugger me, i brought the bike at 105263km with a full oil level. Now sitting on 106990km and no oil in the sight glass. No leaks so that's not the problem.

My question is, is this normal usage or what?

Going to top up with Shell 20-50 tonight.

Thoughts and comments appreciated

Steve confused.gif

Steve, it sounds like you are not checking the oil level correctly (a common problem on the BMW boxer)..

We jus did a thread on the same thing a few days ago_ just click this link.. Oil Link

Twisty

Hi Twisty

Thanks for the link. Heaps of useful info and plenty of alternative views.

Overall, run for approx 20 min, then sidestand for a while and then centre stand.

Shouldn't be a problem.

Stands to reason that i have now over filled it as well. According to the all the info, it shouldn't really present a problem. I will do a full change in about another 1000kms or so anyway wave.gif.

Cheers

Steve

Now I am curious if any BMW's use a dipstick?

I don't think any current BMW models use a dipstick. The AirHeads all did. You used to be able to buy an aftermarket dipstick with a heat sink on the top of it. Supposedly to help cool your oil.

Now I am curious if any BMW's use a dipstick?

I don't think any current BMW models use a dipstick. The AirHeads all did. You used to be able to buy an aftermarket dipstick with a heat sink on the top of it. Supposedly to help cool your oil.

I guess the dipstick wouldn't make any difference on an oilhead. The issue of whether or not the oil is drained out of the oil coolers would remain.

Archived