IGNORED

The socket and the spark plug

Lips_BMW

Fellow BMW Riders,

I purchased my '04 1150 in January of this year. I have enjoyed the bike and have racked up 10,200+ miles and counting on the year so far. Early this year, I pulled the plugs for curiosity, examined them, and reinstalled them using a craftsman 5/8" spark plug socket. Well today I wanted to check the valve clearances. I grabbed the 5/8" craftsman spark plug socket, and could not get it down to the plug. eek.gif I know this is the socket I used in the early spring, but it doesn't work anymore. Its almost like the head casting "shrunk" a little. I can get the socket down about 1/2 way threw the valve cover gasket, but no more. Anyone ever experence this? I do not have any runability issues with the bike. Removing the spark plugs just makes the valve job easier. BTW my bike did not come with a tool kit. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

- Jason

Have only used the one in the tool kit for mine, but have you tried taking the valve cover off and then using your plug socket? Doing so will shorten the distance, and also allow you to remove the rubber doughnut gasket just before the spark plug.

I'm not familiar with shrinking heads and the like, but then again, I'm pretty unfamiliar with just about any technology after 1700 or so. Take the valve covers off and give it a try. Be sure you pay close attention to the gaskets when you put the valve cover back on. I pinched one once, and it doesn't take long at all for the oil to gush out. But don't worry, the severe smoke will be a tell tale sign.

Fellow BMW Riders,

I purchased my '04 1150 in January of this year. I have enjoyed the bike and have racked up 10,200+ miles and counting on the year so far. Early this year, I pulled the plugs for curiosity, examined them, and reinstalled them using a craftsman 5/8" spark plug socket. Well today I wanted to check the valve clearances. I grabbed the 5/8" craftsman spark plug socket, and could not get it down to the plug. eek.gif I know this is the socket I used in the early spring, but it doesn't work anymore. Its almost like the head casting "shrunk" a little. I can get the socket down about 1/2 way threw the valve cover gasket, but no more. Anyone ever experence this? I do not have any runability issues with the bike. Removing the spark plugs just makes the valve job easier. BTW my bike did not come with a tool kit. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

- Jason

Jason, I have my doubts that your cyl head shrunk.. If anything your 5/8” plug socket grew from use on a stuck automobile spark plug..

Are you SURE you used a 5/8” spark plug socket.. I have about 10 different 5/8” plug sockets including a thin Snap-On socket & none will fit in the oil head BOXER spark plug well.. I had to turn one of my plug sockets down on my lathe to fit the boxer plug well..

My guess is you first grabbed your 5/8” plug socket & it wouldn’t fit so you then used a regular thin wall 5/8” deep socket (at least that’s what I did on my first oil head boxer plug change)..

Twisty

ShovelStrokeEd

Just do what I did back in '94 with my first oil head. Take the factory plug socket to a welder and have him braze or weld a small 3/8 drive socket into the end of the tubing. Problem solved for about the same cost as buying a special socket or, God forbid, the factory tool. Don't forget to push out the rubber grommet before the welding process though, it stinks when set afire. dopeslap.gif

Just do what I did back in '94 with my first oil head. Take the factory plug socket to a welder and have him braze or weld a small 3/8 drive socket into the end of the tubing. Problem solved for about the same cost as buying a special socket or, God forbid, the factory tool. Don't forget to push out the rubber grommet before the welding process though, it stinks when set afire. dopeslap.gif

Actually you don’t even have to weld it.. On the plug socket that came in my factory tool kit I just slid an old 3/8” drive socket onto the back end of the tool kit plug socket then drilled a 3/16” hole through the added 3/8” drive socket & tool kit socket then tapped in a 3/16” roll pin.. That way a torque wrench can be used on the factory plug socket (about the only thing I torque on a motorcycle anymore)..

Twisty

Early this year, I pulled the plugs for curiosity, examined them, and reinstalled them using a craftsman 5/8" spark plug socket. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

- Jason

I think you will find that when you did it last time, you had the rocker covers off. This time they were on and the socket won't fit correctly down the bore.

Andy

Thanks for the info guys. The next oppertunity to pull the plugs will be on the weekend. Twisty, you may have answered my issue, as I have discovered a 5/8 deep well socket missing. That could be it.

Thanks. - Jason

Brian PDQ Signs

My bike didn't come with a tool kit either. I couldn't get any kind of deep well or otherwise socket to work so I just ordered one for the tool kit. I can't remember the price but I think it was under $20 probably like 12-15 and is worth it.

The factory spark plug wrench is of a metal that you can use a torch and simply solder a nut on the top. I think I used a nut that an 11/32 socket fit. Be very gentle so as to not cause the nut to move as you apply resin core solder and go all the way around with enough heat to allow the solder to flow.

Archived