IGNORED

R1200ST road help needed, Raleigh NC area

RamblinBoy

I am in Raleigh, NC on a tour from FL. I had my bike serviced by a local mechanic who is BMW certified on the hexheads. He performed all the 12,000 service except for brakes. He recommended changing the final drive fluid, using Moil final drive 75wt(?) and I agreed, since he is a certified guy. I had planned to have the service done in Raleigh but they were completely booked with police bikes.

Upon my arrival here I noticed my rear tire, etc. covered with oil. I did not check the bike when I parked it but several hours later when I noticed the oil, there was also oil weeping down onto the rear wheel. The dealer is closed tomorrow (Monday) and I have no idea that he can see the bike on Tuesday. I have never had a BMW prior to buying this one in August. I know nothing.

Is there anyone on this forum who might be able to offer guidance, assistance? I'm even afraid to ride it the 20 or so miles to the dealer.

Wish I had some definitive aid to give. But alas, only general mechanical stuff.

Take a really close look at the entire area and see if you can determine where the leak comes from. Look around the edges of the rubber boot. Look at the fill bolt. Look at the top and bottom of the hub area.

If you cannot detect any source of the leak, try wiping it clean and then ride some. See if the offending source shows up.

Put the bike on the center stand on firm level ground. Grasp the rear wheel at opposing sides, like 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and see if there is play around the outside.

What you want to feel is basically no wobble, or at max, 1mm.

If you did not detect any rear wheel "looseness" before the final drive oil change it seems unlikely that you now have a final drive failure.

To my opinion you probably have an over-fill situation or a leak, or maybe even a spill.

Good luck- let us hear.

There are several places fluid could leak. The mech. had to remove the muffler & rear wheel & speed sensor in order to pour in the new fluid--its at the top-inside of the drive housing behind the wheel hub. Could be there. Also check the drain plug on rear surface of final drive--is it leaking there? Could have buggered the threads or cracked housing by overtightening..? Prolly not but....best to do as previous poster said. Clean it up good and look for the source. If it is at the speed sensor, it may just be an overfill and is thru leaking. But if it's *really* empty you can make big trouble by riding it any more. Closest dealer open Mondays is in Greensboro--about 1:15 from Raleigh. http://www.carolinaeuro.com/map_hours.asp Good luck--wish I could be more help.

I've not had this experience with my 05 ST, and I have had the final drive fluid replaced. However, I did experience this on two occasions with my old 95 R1100. The specified amount of oil was too much for the final drive. After getting warmed up, and sitting in a hot garage, it would expand and leak out a vent on the top of the final drive casing. It would also happen at high altitude such as the top of Mt. Mitchell. I suspect your final drive was over filled, and you probably got it good and hot and it when it sat, it leaked out. However, after just inspecting my ST, I don't see a similar vent on the final drive housing. Doesn't mean there isn't one though. If you don't have a puddle, I would dry it off real good, and check your rear brake If you can drive off on it, and it isn't making alot of noise back there, you're final drive is probably OK. Not a very comfortable feelin I know, but just keep an eye on it.

I've not had this experience with my 05 ST, and I have had the final drive fluid replaced. However, I did experience this on two occasions with my old 95 R1100. The specified amount of oil was too much for the final drive. After getting warmed up, and sitting in a hot garage, it would expand and leak out a vent on the top of the final drive casing. It would also happen at high altitude such as the top of Mt. Mitchell. I suspect your final drive was over filled, and you probably got it good and hot and it when it sat, it leaked out. However, after just inspecting my ST, I don't see a similar vent on the final drive housing. Doesn't mean there isn't one though. If you don't have a puddle, I would dry it off real good, and check your rear brake If you can drive off on it, and it isn't making alot of noise back there, you're final drive is probably OK. Not a very comfortable feelin I know, but just keep an eye on it.

After doing the above, since you are close to the dealership, carefully ride over there and have the owner/sales guys look it over. They (might) bring a mechanic on OT in to help, especially if their shop made an error - known to happen on occassion.

Thanks to those who replied. I cleaned the bike up and took it out for a 25-mile ride. Came back still puking oil. The dealer in Greensboro was open today, but not for service. Raleigh and Greensboro stores are owned by same family so Greensboro store called Raleigh service manager on his cell phone and alerted him. They also told me about BMW roadside assistance, since I'm under warranty.

BMW had the bike picked up today and taken to the Raleigh shop where the service mgr had kindly agreed to stop by the shop and put it inside for the night. Good stuff.

I'll report back when the situation is resolved. Thanks again.

I had this happen after my 600 miles service. The o-ring on either the plug for either the ABS sensor or wherever they fill it can easily be torn and cuase the grease to leak out. At least that's what I was told. They fixed mine, refilled it and I haven't had a problem since.

Chalk it up to a poor design by BMW where a $2 o-ring can cause such a mess. I don't know what was wrong with having drain a fill plugs with crush washers and having an external ABS sensor and ring like on the Oilheads.

Archived