IGNORED

Russell Seat Feedback Please

Motorrad4fun

I am about a hair away from Spending $$$$ to get a Russell seat. I need to know if you like the one you have, if you have one.

If you don't like the Russell seat, why not..

Thanks for your feedback

Starting with my '86 K75 I had K75RT, K1100LT, R1100RT, R1150R, and now R1200GS. They all had Russell Day-Longs, over 600K miles. I guess I like them wink.gif

There is a reason why more IBA riders use Russell than any other brand. They're not called "day-long saddles" for nothing.

I spent 80,000 RT miles on a Russell. Every one of them bliss. Then when I bought an FJR, before I got an aftermarket shield for it, before the Works Performance shock, before just about anything, I ordered my Russell. Aaaahhhhh!!!

I will tell you that they take a bit of getting used to, especially when you stop. The seat wings, which offer so much extra support when seated, will hit you in the back of the upper thigh when you're straddling the bike. This is not uncomfortable. Just unexpected. You quickly get used to it.

A good saddle will double/triple/quadruple your daily enjoyment and mileage potential. It makes your bike worth what you paid for it.

A good saddle will double/triple/quadruple your daily enjoyment and mileage potential. It makes your bike worth what you paid for it.

I got a Russell dual saddle this spring. I couldn't be happier with it.

AdventurePoser
I am about a hair away from Spending $$$$ to get a Russell seat. I need to know if you like the one you have, if you have one.

If you don't like the Russell seat, why not..

Thanks for your feedback

I'll give up my RDL when they pry my cold dead fingers from the grips....

I suppose you could say I like them. Workmanship and customer service is impeccable. They are excellent seats for big mile days. In fact, I've had them on my K1200RS, and all three of my RTs. In fact, my 02 RT saw over 90K with a Russell. That seat looked new when I sold the bike for my R1200RT.

AdventurePoser

The ride in is the only way to do it. Have fun, and if you swing thru So Cal on the way home, stop by and say hi!

Steve in So Cal

I don't think you're going to get anything other than an extremely positive review of Russell seats, they're simply among the (if not the) best available. In reading about fifteen years of Internet comments I think I've seen only a single report of someone who didn't like theirs (and you know who you are... grin.gif.)

If you're experiencing comfort issues with your present seat (and presumably you are if you're asking the question) then you will not regret going for the Russell. If worse comes to worse they will take back the seat, but after you get used to it it's probably more likely that no one will be able to pry it away from you.

In reading about fifteen years of Internet comments I think I've only seen only a single report of someone who didn't like theirs (and you know who you are... grin.gif.)
Yes I do. One of the worst purchases I have ever made, I did the ride in but was in pain within 50 miles of leaving despite it feeling OK initially. Went back the next day and got it adjusted, lasted about 100 miles but I assumed I needed to break it in. Headed out on a trip and was miserable, the wings stuck into my legs and created painful havoc, bought cushions etc for the trip back. On the third visit to Russell they clipped half the wing metal out, no use. Three years later while I'm riding I am still uncomfortable where those wings dug into me, permanent damage it seems. To Russell's immense credit when I finally gave up they promptly refunded me all my money.

I bought a used Russell from a friend and used it for about 2+ yrs. The seat was only okay, but I assume that not being made for my arse made a big difference. It does seem that the majority of people who have a Russell are very pleased with them. I have another brand that I like better but that may be just me.

One issue; if you're short inseam, Russell may be a problem. You need to stop your bike on tippy toes. The compromise of making the nose narrow, and especially minimizing the foam over the spring limits the service life. Mine needed rebuilding after 70k riding, because the spring was buzzing on my butt. Otherwise, a great saddle.

Due to short inseam, I'm on another saddle now, with no spring.

Both the wife and I love the seats we got from them. We just came back from a 4 day/1700 mile trip in comfort with no complaints and could hop on and continue if we didn't have to go back to work the next day. Their customer service was also really good too.

Wished we had done it sooner.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

I've had Russel Seats on several bikes, Harley, Valkyrie, F-650, 2 RTs. This time around I got one from Rick Meyer and am very happy with it. It was about 1/2 the price of the Russel and is every bit as comfortable. I weigh 175 and that is a key. If you weigh in the 230+ category then I think the Springs in the Russel are a big help and that's the seat you should go for. If your under 200#, then the foam support in the Rick Meyer Wings is enough.

Rocket_Cowboy
The ride in is the only way to do it. Have fun, and if you swing thru So Cal on the way home, stop by and say hi!

I just might do that. I was going to fly into SFO and head up to Redding on a rental bike, but the more I think about the fuel cell that they're working with, the more I might just ride all the way out there via San Diego and back. Plus, that gives me some test miles with the fuel cell.

I loved the Russell on my 1100. 20 hour day in the saddle 1300+ miles and could get off at the end of the ride with no rear end discomfort whatsoever!

Great seat!

Highly recommended!

Will be getting one for my 1200 most likely over the winter.

I loved the Russell on my 1100. 20 hour day in the saddle 1300+ miles and could get off at the end of the ride with no rear end discomfort whatsoever!
You people have no idea how frustrating this is.
You people have no idea how frustrating this is.
While I realize that you're not exactly inclined to give it another try (perhaps an understatement if there ever was one), I think that someone must have done something really wrong when they set up your seat. I have no idea what that might be though.
I think that someone must have done something really wrong when they set up your seat. I have no idea what that might be though.
I had the guy who was considered the expert, don't remember his name, work on the seat on 3 separate days, he tried everything spending hours with me. I'm considering trying to find a regular non comfort seat for the RT to see if I'm the guy it was designed for.
I had the guy who was considered the expert, don't remember his name, work on the seat on 3 separate days, he tried everything spending hours with me. I'm considering trying to find a regular non comfort seat for the RT to see if I'm the guy it was designed for.

The only thing that I can think of that would cause that fitting problem is called "Sponge Bob Square Pants"

I have had them on a Goldwing, RT and Honda ST. Nothing compares. Before I went Russell, I had five other seats on RTs. (As to Killer, he must have had a bunch of tools in his shorts.)

Drooling over a Russell for an RT on Ebay, I called Russell after the seller suggested they redo the seat after my trip. The estimate to change the springs was I believe $150. To alter the foam and redo the cover $185. I almost was going to do this, as I still need a stock pan, but for $400 for the used Russell, another $350-400 to redo the seat, it was not worth it. Just in case you come across one that is close to what you want in really good shape.

Sure would love to have one before I leave next tuesday

Tried a Sargent and it didn't quite work after a 400 mile trip. Ordered a Russell day-long and couldn't be happier. Just finished 2500 miles in 5 days through the Applachians without anything approaching Monkey Butt. Couldn't be happier.

Don't mean to rain on this love fest but here is my experience with the Russell seat. The seat does spread out the contact area but it is a very hard seat. The first hour of riding I can't even feel the seat then my butt starts to go numb. A sheep skin helps but I am just starting to look into a solution. Did 9000 km 3 week trip this summer with the Russell and it took weeks for my butt to heal after the ride.

Keith

Just got off the phone minutes ago with a co-worker asking if I like my Russell (he's got a deal on a used one), I told him what I've told everyone who asks.."Best $400 I've ever spent on a motorcycle product. Period!!" I've always had "butt issues" with motorcycle seats (I've owned over 40 motorcycles) and thought that I'd never really enjoy long distance on a bike, even though I love everything else about the experience. Well, we just returned from a 1000 mi ride through the Adirondacks (300 a day) and I have never had a more comfortable ride. Even my passenger commented on the fact that I didn't squirm once.

GET ONE!!! thumbsup.gif

This is my second Russell. Yes, it is firmer that the previous one on my R100RT but just as comfortable. Rode 1100 miles in one day this spring and got off the bike with no pains. Two days later made the same trip back home. Previously, I had a Sargent and after 45 minutes of riding I would have confessed to anything because I was in so much pain!

For quite some time I really didn't know if it was me or BMW. I had a K1100LT that I really liked, but sold because I just could not get comfortable on it. Bought an R1100RT and while it was an improvement...it was far from right. I tried BMW's stock seat, "comfort" seat, a Corbin & a TravelCade. The TravelCade helped a bunch. I recently did back to back days of 8 hrs. and 11 hrs on the TravelCade. The first day was pretty much issue free...by the end of the second day my butt was wore out, but so was the rest of me.

A couple of weeks ago I had a chance to trade my "comfort" seat & some cash for a Russell. As the original owner was almost my twin physically, I went for it...while I have not had the chance to do any long days on the Russell, it is clearly an improvement & I am pretty confident that it will make a difference for me.

Archived