IGNORED

Olympia Jackets

russter

I have never worn anything other than a leather jacket so looking at the textile is new to me. The Olympia are obviously popular so I checked them out. I hear many of you like the Airglide and the AST so last weekend I tried all of them on including one called the "Patton" but I don't see any of you mentioning it. Is this maybe a new model or one that no one really cares for? I definitely liked the Airglide. I know the AST is very popular but is this jacket maybe overkill for Texas weather? The Patton seemed a little lighter weight and maybe better suited to the milder Texas winters but I was a little skeptical because no one talks about this particular model. Also I have never worn a 3/4 length before and wondered if this jacket would tend to rub and scuff the tank or is it really not that long? It seemed that the Patton is somewhat of a lightweight version of the AST and with a few less bells, whistles, and pockets. Any advice you can give me on these jackets would be appreciated.

Russ

The Patton is a cross between the Airglide and the AST. It's been a modest success for Olympia, but the Airglide and AST are their sales leaders by a longshot.

Based on the fact that you're in Texas, get the Airglide. The AST is too warm for your summers.

Hi Russ, I can't say anything about the Patton. But, I like all my Olympia stuff. Made well and seems to last. I first got the Sentry jacket and the Ranger paints. I live here in Norther Wyoming. In the Summer it was a little warm for me, temps anything over 85. So, I also went with the Airglide jacket and paints. thumbsup.gif Now this is the way to go! You get the liners in and your good to low 40's. So now for me I have the best. This time year up here, I have my old stuff and in the summer if it is hot I have my Airglide! If I was down South, like Texas. I would just have the Airglide stuff. I would not need a 3/4 jacket. Just me, but I love my Olympia stuff. Good luck and ride safe. Richard

Lets_Play_Two

I have the airglide jacket and pants and am pleased with both. Might even need the liner in the jacket now that we are getting those cool 70' nights. clap.gif

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I love my air glide Jacket, except for the fact that my neon yellow draws way too many comments. On the bright side (no pun intended), I guess it's doing what it is intended to do.

I love my air glide Jacket, except for the fact that my neon yellow draws way too many comments. On the bright side (no pun intended), I guess it's doing what it is intended to do.

+1 yep... "I can see you from a mile away!"

The liner is excellent. Haven't quite needed it yet in our 50* mornings. Can't answer your question about the Patton. But the airglide gets a thumbsup.gif from me.

In a fit of insanity (not really, but I had been drinking) I decided to sell my AST and go back to an Aerostich Darien. Love the Darien, but the AST is the nicest all around jacket I have owned.

Any issues I have with it would only be nitpicking, but you can't miss with this one.

I have both a Cortech 3/4 length jacket and the Olympia Airglide, both jacket and pants, and I never wear the Cortech anymore. The Olympia does a great job in both hot and cool temps (for me anyway) and I hardly ever use the liners (yet). The Cortech is a nice jacket for the price, but it is just too heavy, even with the liner removed. Go Olympia, you won't be disappointed. thumbsup.gif

I have the Airglide jacket and pants. The jacket isn't as "meshy" as my First Gear Tex-Mesh2, so when it's really hot, I go with the First Gear jacket. The Airglide has a really nice liner for cooler temps and could probably be used about 75% of the year in Texas. wave.gif

Just my $0.02 but the coldest I have ever been on a bike was in Texas.

The combination of low temperatures and high humidity really cuts through.

I have no direct experiences with your choices but I vote for the warmest option. You can always un-zip but you cannot go back and get another layer...

Personally I have the First Gear Leather bib they call Arizona Touring Pant, and a great heavy leather jacket with its own liner. It says something funny on it... maybe Harley-Davidson but it is a great jacket.

Archived