IGNORED

Check out the road conditions for your route to Gunnison

JonathanE

I was thinking about my imminent dparture (T minus 37 hours 8 minutes), and I finally considered the risk of potential highway closures due to all these forest fires. I heard a rumour that 395 may be closed at the California/Nevada border. If my route over the Sierras is closed, and I don't find out until I get there, I have about 300 miles of detour. Sure, the roads are gorgeous, but hey I have places to get to!

Check out this page for links to road and weather condition pages in almost every state!

http://members.tripod.com/buckybeaver

Sure, the URL name is a little bizarre, but it directed me to some great info on my route.

Jonathan, I will be about 12 hours behind you. I'm leaving at 4am on Thursday and heading out to Lee Vining.

IF you find out anything really bad, call me at 415-868-8900.

See you in Gunnison!

Tom,

395 is closed (with a detour available) between Bridgeport and the Nevada border. This is way north of where 120 crosses 395 east of Tioga so we shouldn't be affected. The Nevada road status links are bad, but it's not like there are any road hazards in Nevada, other than alien space ships. BTW, temps are expected to be mild for Nevada, not much over 90. This is welcome news after my last few trips across Nevada with temps over 110.

My first night should be in Caliente, second in Torrey, third in Moab. See you on the way, or in Gunnison!

Thanks for the post. I'm leaving in about 20 hours for the trip to Gunnison via Paonia so I'll definately be using it tomorrow to make sure the planned route is good.

Good points, Jonathan. I'm leaving Wed around 4:30P. Shouldn't have much trouble, but I will check that website as well as the weather channel site. Lots of isolated thunderstorms predicted from southern Utah all the way into Colorado. I might see you in Torrey on Thurs. night. It might be nice to get some ribs at El Diablo Cafe before Wurty gets there and eats them all.

Coloradoridr

Road construction is taking place on Hwy 50 southeast of Grand Junction, CO. Expect a 30-45 minute delay (in the heat!). If you were headed for Paonia, CO, you might consider Hwy 65. I personally don't know that road or if it is being worked on. Construction is also taking place east of Montrose, CO. on HWY 50,another 30 minute delay potential. Hwy 24 south of Buena Vista had delays when I went through there a few weeks ago. I don't have any current info though.

The construction is before Delta? Can you turn-off onto 92 and avoid it?

I am heading to Redstone on Friday so any tips would be appreciated.

Coloradoridr

There is a section of major construction between Grand Junction and Delta. Even without the 30/45 minute delay, the speed has been reduced to 45mph on the newly paved sections. It's been two weeks since I was there, but I have not heard that things have improved. Hwy 92 would still be a good alternate and you would enjoy the scenery and ride. Plan your lunch/ice cream stop at Joe Cocker's cafe in Crawford.

Archived