IGNORED

NEW WHEELS.......

SEATTLE_RIDER

SEATTLE_RIDER

No, not a new bike or a car...........

Like many of you, I had the Tire Pressure Monitering unit removed from my '07 GSA with the worldwide recall. Well, I just got a call from the dealer and they asked if I wanted the TPM back in. I asked what their plan was with them saying that it's taken awhile, but BMW is replacing ALL THE WHEELS with new (with in-place TPM) at their expense. No charge for anything.

I never expected this.

cheers,

thumbsup.gif

SEATTLE_RIDER

p.s. If you want to check out Scotty & Rick Mayer's Australian Adventure at the MotoGP this past week, check out the gallery on the smuggy site below......

enjoy,

They lettin' ya keep the old wheels???? Buy back at reduced cost????

I know wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif there are some out there that would like a 2nd set of wheels!!!!!

SEATTLE_RIDER

I was so excited I forgot to ask. But I will buy the old ones if the cost is reasonable. Hello TKC80's mounted & ready for a quick switch to dirt!!

Hello TKC80's mounted & ready for a quick switch to dirt!!

That's exactly what I'm coveting some for. If BMW will sell 'em, but you take a pass, please let us know.

Hmmmmnnn..... I'm unaware of my 07GSA having TPM in the first place.

Are you saying that they're offering the change to anyone that had TMP taken away or are you saying that those who may never have had it have something to look forward to? This just seems a little odd to me.

SEATTLE_RIDER

....that my bike came with. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't cheap. They are only giving the new wheels to those that had the TPM valve-stem sending unit removed by re-call. At that time you were given the option of either being rebated the original option cost or having the removed two sending units shelved at the dealership to await a solution to the "rapid deflating problem". Their solution was to replace the wheels from a reliable vendor. Think of it.....BMW is eating at least 2K for each bike sold with that option.

If you bought your GSA new it either didn't come with TPM or it was a later in the year model that was delivered after they had stopped equiping any of the bikes with TPM.

At least that's what I understand..............

My recent purchase has the TPM option- disconnected awaiting a fix. Will be interested in the resolution. From what I hear, it is not just the GSA...

Does anybody have this BMW system on any of there bikes and how do you like it?

We have it on our F800ST.

At first, I was thinking along the lines of gizmo. Now, it's kinda convenient and an easy way to check the tire pressure. thumbsup.gif

SEATTLE_RIDER

It is convenient.......but does not replace checking your tire pressure before each ride. At first I thought it was a gimmick, but it came on the bike. I soon learned to like the option to check on the fly. Kinda missed it when it was taken out. I'm looking forward to having it back when the new wheels are mounted. My only concern now is that if I can buy the old wheels (with the sensors having been removed at the re-call) and mount other tires, will the on-board computer give me a fault reading when the "spare wheels with TKC80's" are mounted.................

It is convenient.......but does not replace checking your tire pressure before each ride. At first I thought it was a gimmick, but it came on the bike. I soon learned to like the option to check on the fly.

Why? If you can check the pressure on the dash why would you have to check it each ride at the tire? If I have to do that, to me its not worth having for the price.

SEATTLE_RIDER

Ken.....good point, and this was discussed at length here on this board when the tpm first was introduced on certain models last year. The point is: Nothing can replace your own pre-ride checks that you make, whether it's checking your tp with your guage of choice daily or whenever you choose. What the TPM does for me is give me a warning if I'm losing pressure during a ride (slow leak, small puncture, etc) or just "peace of mind" during a ride. As stated above, I was able to find an '07 GSA in November of '06 when they were all spoken for and very hard to find. The bike was already equipped with the option and I wanted the GSA no matter what. I really don't know if I would spend the extra $$$ if ordering a new bike now...........

I'm sure that doesn't help you at all crazy.gif

FWIW, I just looked at the sticker price on an 07 R1200RT that I was interested in. The cost of the TPM option is $260.00. That doesn't really sound like a lot.

I've had TPM on my RT delivered last Jan. I usually run with the TPM showing on the OBC display. My only issue is that the indicated pressures are about 3 psi lower than my manual gauges. Don't know if the TPM can be calibrated (assuming that 2 gauges with same reading ARE accurate).

Why? If you can check the pressure on the dash why would you have to check it each ride at the tire? If I have to do that, to me its not worth having for the price.

If the BMW TPM system works like my SmarTire device, the bike needs to be rolling in order to produce data in the display. If you're like me, once you're rolling, you don't want to stop.

Calvin  (no socks)

I regularly test TPMS on new cars on the lot...with a hand-held exciter... the tpm sensors are far more accurate than most gauges. Calibrate your gauge to the tpm readout....

SEATTLE_RIDER

Now, if the replacement wheels come in silver I'll be a happy camper. The wheels on the non-adventure GS's are silver and look a lot cleaner than the GSA black. Just my opinion........ tongue.gif

Archived