IGNORED

Low Fuel Indicator vs RID

sck166

Which one to believe on my 96 RT? The RID shows half a tank and then the low fuel light comes on. When I fill up, it only takes 4 gallons. I thought that the RID was supposed to show 2 bars when the low fuel light came on at the 1.1 gallon reserve point.

If you only take four gallons when the low fuel light comes on then it would seem that the low fuel level float arm was possibly misadjusted (bent) during a filter service. I'm not sure how to get it back in calibration other than by trial and error.

You need to find out what's really going on. My '94 R1100RSL bike shows 0 bars on the RID at somewhere around 200 miles, and the low fuel light comes on at ~220 miles.

So, I got a spare fuel can and ran the bike to empty. It went 300+ miles before running dry, meaning that when the RID showed 0 bars, I still had almost half a tank. It ran 80 miles after the low fuel light on, cruising at ~75mph.

The RID sux, and the low fuel light is not much better. Best to make careful calculation of fuel economy vs. odometer mileage, then refill accordingly.

Well, as you note the low fuel light should come on with about one gallon of fuel left, usually equates to one or two bars on the RID. It sounds like your RID fuel display is working properly and the low fuel display is not. On your bike there are actually two fuel senders, one for the RID display and another for the low fuel light. The sender for the low fuel light is attached to the access plate that holds the fuel pump and filter, which is removed to service the fuel filter. When the plate assembly is removed it is a little tricky to get the low fuel level float arm out and if one isn't careful it is possible to bend the arm during either removal or reassembly. I'm just guessing but it seems that the arm may have been bent on your bike. The fix is easy in one respect in that all that is required is bending the float arm back to where the low fuel light indicates correctly, but it can also be somewhat of a PITA because it may take a few tries to get it right.

One set up properly the low fuel light should be consistently accurate, or at least mine is.

I suspect you have two separate problems. There is a "large" connector on the lower left side of the gas tank that disconnects all of the electrics for the tank. If that connector is grimy, oily or otherwise not well connected, it can create an incorrect RID display. Like wise there is a "large" connector that plugs the RID into the wiring loom. It is WAY up under the right side of the front fairing. It is well hidden it doesn't get as dirty as the one on the tank. The one on the left side of the tank is easy to get to with the tupperwear off. Unplug it and clean both sides, I use CRC spray electric parts cleaner. See if that helps your RID bar indicator. It is possible to install the fuel pump/low fuel float plate "one screw off". The plate has 8 (I think) screws, it will go together and seal with the plate twisted one screw hole counterclock wise. It makes the low fuel light come one WAY early. I would check that yours is installed correctly, or as mentioned above the float rod may be bent. Good hunting!

Same thing happened with my bike once. The low sending unit was off one hole. If the shop just had your filter replaced, have them correct this problem @ no charge. Simple mistake.

Archived