IGNORED

Wolfman tankbag on BMW quick mount

johnlt

Just found out that BMW won't warranty my expensive 2 year old tank bag for my 12RT so I threw it away and used the quick attachment plate with a Wolfman bag. Much better bag in my opinion. Four external pockets that can be changed out for larger ones also. First pic shows the completed Wolfman Explorer bag attached to my RT.

209620098-L.jpg

Second pic is of the BMW plate mounted to the Wolfman bag 209620102-L.jpg

You've convinced me to do the same. I have a Wolfman Denali bag off my old F650-GS. I think it's basically the same bag you have, but with mounting straps specific to the F650.

From the start, I had been thoroughly disappointed with the RT tankbag; poorly designed, cheaply constructed, overpriced, and just plain goofy looking. I'd pretty much stopped using it unless my side and top cases where already full of stuff.

I just ripped open the inner lining and removed the mounting plate. So, i'm off to the hardware store tomorrow evening thumbsup.gif

Removal was pretty much straight forward. Once I removed the foam pad on the inside, I just put some vice grips on the nuts and unscrewed them from the bottom. No issues. I cut out some light diamond plate aluminum the size of the inside of the Wolfman bag. This was available at Ace hardware. I then bent it to fit the profile of the BMW attachment plate. I then drilled holes matching the ones on the mounting plate and bolted it in sandwiching the bottom of the bag between the BMW attachment plate and the newly cut out aluminum plate. I then hot glued a new foam pad on the aluminum the size of the bottom of the bag. Wah lah, completed. My Wolfman was the Explorer bag but if you wanted a smaller bag, it would work just as well.

I wish BMW would just sell that mounting plate by itself. I'd pay $150 for that, but $300 for a tank bag is too expensive. Especially if you might prefer a bigger or smaller one... and they apparently wear out in 2-3 years anyway.

I think you were actually lucky they denied your claim. I have a BMW bag that is one big catch-all. I've seen home made dividers, etc., but I don't like that solution (for me). I will probably follow the example and search for an appropriate bag to mount on the BMW plate.

thencamebronson

I see a campagnolo logo and a sew up. If you use an Apple computer you win the Trifecta. If that's a Volvo in the background (I don't think it is but can't be sure) then you fit the profile.

You're right, I ride bicycles a lot and still run sewups. Unfortunately the car is a Lexus, not a Volvo......but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Stop messing with tank bags and post a ride tale from Mexico already....some of us want to know!!!

Kaisr

PS I may head to Tucson tomorrow for the Open House. Depends on a few things getting done here tonight

Tom

Tom, I didn't bring a camera to Copper Canyon so have been trying to convience the others who did bring a camera to post a ride tale. May see you tomorrow at the open house.

what ride tale from mexico are you interested in.

I am rinding in mexico since 1985, mostly on back roads and unpaved roads.

In may i did the frist travel from mexico city to Las Vegas and back by baja.

(the fun part was baja).

I've been looking for a bag to do this same thing with for quite some time. Seems like all the bags I've found hit the bars when they're turned right or left to lock. That would account for the nose of the BMW bag being a bit more narrow. Let us know how the bars clear when turned. In the meantime, if anyone knows of a medium size bag that clears the bars; please, pass it along. (excuse the slight hijack please).

John. The Wolfman Explorer I used does indeed hit the bars at full lock right and left. The only time that is a problem is when I'm in the garage or driveway so I'm living with it. Although it makes it hard to "see" the radio controls on the handlebar, I can still reach them to adjust volume etc. Wolfman also makes a much smaller bag I use on my dual sports that would fit with absolutely no interference. Check out their website.

Archived