IGNORED

Made a few mods to the R12RT.

GoGo Gadget

So I had some time to kill and a stack of accessories waiting to be installed. :D

I did not like the tacky velcro switch that came with the Moto lights, so I installed a better looking one that mounts mostly flush. I mounted another one wired to a garage door remote. I found that my remote uses a 12VDC battery, so it made sense to just hardwire that puppy into the bike. So I soldered in some wires for power and to activate the transmitter. I mounted the circuit board from the remote behind the dash panel. I need to relocate it since it gets wet when I washed the bike, so I'll get that done later. I screwed up when I ordered the switches. They do not illuminate because I ordered AC not DC switches. :doh I may or may not get the correct switches for that. They work as switches, they just do not light up.

The ZFE module would not power my Gerbing's properly. The jacket would work, but if I had jacket and gloves, it would shut off power to all my accessories. So I hardwired it to the battery running the wire under the tank bracket. The jacket heats up more quickly this way I think. Feels like it anyway. I did not like the set up for the acc socket anyway, too much wire dangling. I also ran an audio wire under the other side of the tank bracket. This way I don't have that wire swinging in the breeze from me to the GPS/XM.

I installed a Stebel Nautilus compact air horn. WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY better than OEM. I removed the stock horn and bracket and and mounted it in that location. It comes close to the front spring, so I'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure it does not hit. Bouncing the bike up and down, it did not, but that does not compress it as much as heavy braking.

Bikemods.jpg

I had a Whelen TIR 3 light installed as an auxillary brake light, but it did not work well with the Canbus system. Since power is always sent to the taillight/brakelight it stayed lit, and the difference between running light and brake light was not extreme enough. Basically it was too bright as a running light. So I pulled that off and put it on the wifes CBR1000RR. It works great for her since it is off except when she gets on the brakes. She says people stay well off her ass now. It is BRIGHT. So I replaced it with P3 lights from Jerry Skene. I "think" the Whelen is brighter, but it is more focused. So directly behind it, you will see stars through closed eyelids, but the P3 lights have a larger visual footprint.

You can see that in this video. First bit is looking at the bikes obviously, P3 on the RT on the right, Whelen on the left. Camera was 70ft away or so. then I set the camera between the bikes to see how much light is sent back. You can see the P3 lights putting more light out in a larger pattern. They are set to flash 4 times then go steady. I can also set them to only go steady, or flash 4 times rapidly, 4 times slowly, then steady.

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/mtwithrow/?action=view&current=Auxillarybrakelights.flv

AdventurePoser

Thanks for the post. I am looking at driving lights and aux brake lights as well. Think I will go with the P3.

Cheers,

Steve

Nicely done. I need to come up with some good use for all that empty space where the radio controls would be if I had that option. Apparently you don't use the OEM tank bag? - it looks like the wires would get in the way of mounting it.

Jay

Nicely done. I need to come up with some good use for all that empty space where the radio controls would be if I had that option. Apparently you don't use the OEM tank bag? - it looks like the wires would get in the way of mounting it.

Jay

Correct. I could not see paying $350 for a bag. I am a cheap bastid. I am planning on getting the SW Motech bag. Pricey but I think you get more for your money. And apparently the BMW bags are falling apart after a few years.

Archived