IGNORED

I wanna lose some weight.

Whip

After 20,000 miles on my KTM 950 ADV(in 4 months) I love the light feel of the KTM. I don't wanna go back to a 700lb bike. I never thought Mrs. Whip would enjoy ridin on an "over sized dirt bike". But as usual I was wrong. We're gettin ready to go another 3000 miles soon and Mrs Whip would rather be on the KTM than the FJR. I'm not sure I don't feel the same way. I tired of big "sport touring" bikes. Is there a 500lb(or close) bike we can ride two up on all day. Range is important but not a deal breaker. Has to have 100hp(about), some wind protection, and Mrs. Whip has to be comfy. (comfy being a relative term, she has done many 700 mile, 12 hours days on the "over sized dirt bike")

I don't have a car, I don't do my own maintenance and I kinda like having two bikes.

The contenders.......

Mrs. Whip thought the Busa was very comfortable.......prolly not enough leg room for me and though she may be comfortable sitting still on the bike, she sits higher than me and I'm not sure she'll like it once we get movin.

Some bikes have an image attached to them that I'm not sure I want to be a part of. (I could be outa line on that)

FZ1 looks nice, but has a lot of the same issues, no leg room and 150 mile range, but is prolly the most practical.

ST3S, ST4S, I like it, Mrs Whip has never been on one. The pegs are set back therefore I feel like it has more legroom.

I road hANNAbONE's Triumph ST for a very short time. It felt too small for me. Great handling, fast, smooth, but I'm not sure I could ride it across the country.

All these bikes have bags for them, or are available aftermarket.

I don't know anything about the K-bikes. The BMW website doesn't show bags and they seem a little on the heavy side.

K1200 S......K1200 R????????????????

Who has one of the new ones??????

Will the bags off my 05 RT fit on em??????????

Imagine me gettin back on a BMW

dopeslap.gif

I really could use some help with my diet.

Whip

Any thoughts about the BMW 800??? The VFR would be an nice choice and maybe more comfy than the beemer 800. I like 'em both........Take the beemer for a spin with the Mrs. on the back.....

Whip, hi,

No expert here, but I'll comment anyway (sue me). Some perspective. You comment about a 500 lb bike. I rode my K100RS for 5 1/2 years and 120K miles and loved it. It was about 560lbs. I thought it was the bomb compared to my previous airhead. I then bought a 2000 K1200RS at 620lbs. I really had reservations about the added weight, but what I found was it was far better in these areas:

* Low speed handling was a cinch. Like riding a minibike in comparison to the K100. Not sure why.

* Handling at speed was truly confidence inspiring. Certainly nothing compared to what you are used to, but what a jump for me. No chicken stips left on this bike.

* Power is great in comparison.

* Getting it on the center stand is ridiculoulsy easy compared to the K100.

* I love this bike except for the lack of input from the front end due to telelever (but I like anti-dive).

Maybe not a useful comparison for you, but hope it helps a little. I really like this bike. Only thing I had to get used to was the more crampy leg position, which I have no problem with now since I am a more SPORT-touring personage.

Good luck.

Sadly, the K-bikes aren't going to be much help in the diet department. BMW's claimed dry weight for a K1200GT is 44 lbs. heavier than for an R1200RT. (549 vs. 505). The K1200R Sport is a little lighter, at 474. These aren't real world weights you can use to compare against other mfrs. bikes, but I think you can compare them to each other. Of course, dry weights don't reflect differences in fuel capacity. F800ST is 412. All these numbers are from BMW's US site.

Honda VFR, maybe?

OK, I just found an online source for wet weights at Motorcyclist magazine.

They don't have all the bikes (you can find some others by searching road tests), but here are a few samples for things you're familiar with:

Aprilia Futura ('01) 535

BMW R1200RT ('05) 631

BMW K1200GT ('07) 673

BMW R1200 GSA ('07) 581

Ducati Multistrada 1100 ('07) 488

Ducati ST4s ('02) 521

Honda VFR ('02) 557

KTM 950AdvS ('03) 495

Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ('05) 530

Triumph Sprint ST ('05) 552

Triumph Tiger 1050 ('07) 512

Yamaha FJR ('03) 641

Yamaha FZ1 ('06) 495

Looks like the Multistrada is the winner of the weight war!

VSTROM

Whip If you insist I will take Mrs Whip on the back of mine for a few hundred miles wave.gif

Thanks Wurty.

She says she feels real safe with you.

If your legs are long & your knees shot like mine the KS might not be a comfortable mile muncher for you at least in it's stock seat/peg configuration.

I've found some relief via a beaded seat cover. It's +- 3/8" thickness really helps.

Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS. $8800 MSRP, which means you can buy it for $8K out the door. Knock another $700 off if you don't want the ABS model.

TONS of torque. More than 100HP. Right at 500 lbs. EFI and a 5-gal. tank, means reasonable 160-180 mile range, 200 in a pinch. Very little bodywork, so it'll be lots lighter than the FJR. Prolly quicker, too. A Cee Baileys windshield and some brushguards off the 1000 V-strom. Givi bags and trunk. A fork kit, an aftermarket shockeezorber, and maybe an aftermarket seat. Ready to roll for under $10K and a case of chain lube.

Linky.

Whip,

The K1200S is a decent touring bike but for two up I don't think it is practical. I have done several 650 mile days and at the end I just want to get off the bike. The stock seat is the biggest problem. It has a forward rake that causes you to slide forward against the nose of the tank. This could be easily fixed with a custom seat with a flatter profile. If I keep my bike I am definitely going to have this done. The forward lean angle is also a problem. While it is more relaxed than a full out sport bike I have to slide up against the tank in order to get the weight off of my hands and wrists. This could be resolved with bar risers but I think it ruins the look of the bike. Leg room is another issue. You and I are about the same size and my inseam is 35". I imagine yours is about 36" or so. I have to put the pegs into the arch of my foot and point my toes straight down in order to take the load off of my knees. There are peg lowering kits available so this might be an option. Another issue is the wind protection. This is very subjective but I don't find this to be a problem. The wind hits at about the chin level but is smooth with very little turbulence. Longer windshields with laminar lips are available. Now I know the little missus is a bit height challenged compared to your 6 foot 3-ish-ness but her wind protection is prolly gonna be provided by you. More...yes there's more, on a full load of gas and I mean really stuffing it in there and burping the tank the max range is about 220 miles. That is riding one up and shifting at and running at 4000 rpm which is approximately 70 mph in 6th. Cruising at 80 mph and you are looking at 180 to 200 miles. At 120 plus on highway 50 trying to keep up with Richard it is dismal. Handling is not an issue with this bike given its weight. It is rock solid and very easy to body steer. It also has a very low center of gravity compared to its other top heavy brethren which makes it very easy to handle at low speeds. Riding at speed on the straights I just tap the tank with my knee when I am riding hands off with the cruise (Throttlemeister) and it goes in the opposite direction. Last thing and probably a deal killer is the luggage. They are half hardshell and half fabric which is collapsible. In the fully expanded position they will each take a full face helmet. You can put an after market rack on the back for soft luggage but your storage options are limited. With respect to horse power that is not a problem. After you have made all of these modifications you might as well be riding a K1200GT as it has the same engine and low center of gravity as the K12S. Plus you can farkle and there is lots of storage capacity for you and the missus. They also look great, kinda like the starship enterprise. As for handling I can tell you it was a joy to chase Rich around Thunderhill watching him drag parts and showering sparks all over and trying to start the grass on fire. At one point I was thinking the fire marshal was going to send him home! There are pictures of his arsonist tendencies but I digress. Anyways he is madman on that bike lmao.gif , but you already know that!

That's my to shekels worth.

Cheers! lurker.gif

+1 on R1200ST. Wet weight is around 515 lbs. I think Russell makes a seat for the R1200ST. If you get an aftermarket exhaust and no bags, the wet weight is around 500 lbs. Leg room is not as good as KTM, GS etc. Other than leg room, the R12ST is a great touring bike.

Whip,

Personally, I like a bit of heft when traveling at high speeds. Bike is more stable and less impact from wind or passing trucks/buses.

Are you still looking for dual sport adventure touring capability? Or, mainly paved roads?

Fernando's suggestion is a good one.

I won't try to convince you to try any BMW, nor espouse what I consider to be positive attributes of the original GT series.

The 800 twins are too small for what you want, IMO, and I think the luggage is an issue. The KRSport is fabulous to ride, but luggage may be an issue too.

BTW, my over/under date for your new bike was October 23rd, make me proud. grin.gif

Hey Tim.

The KTM is stayin for now, so no Adventure bike needed.

Two up street machine.

There just isn't much to choose from.

Hey Mr. Olson.

Find me some good luggage for that thing and I'm in.....

Whip

I may just get another KTM, prolly a 990S.

I may just get another KTM, prolly a 990S.
Do those Widder's really give you two enough heat? I think that's the main thing you're sacrificing with the KTM.

BMW R1200R... Make a R1200Rt-lite out of it, like I did with my R1150Rt-lite. Around 500lbs, 110hp, 200 mile range before it hits reserve, takes R1200RT style bags, RT top case fits.

Add to it a Parabellum Scout fairing, custom seat, may be lowered footpegs for leg room. Ready to roll...

Or buy Phil's R1200ST... that would be funny...

Another vote for the R1200ST.

After mostly doing track days and short day trips for the last decade, I am planning on wandering cross country to the UN next year. Took the ST on a 950 mile slab-o-rama ride last Sunday just to see how the bike and I feel about long days in the saddle. No problems at all...except boredom.

The ST is a great bike!!

A very good friend and owner of an ST says no chance two up cross country. I respect his opinion and he has every reason to sell me on an ST.

Thanks

A second on the R1200R plan, I've been thinking hard about one of these also. Looks like you can get it any way you want with the otional ABS,ESA etc. The only other bike I would consider is the Buell Ulysses, other than wind protection. Miss it in the winter, don't in the summer. It sits high and is hard for passengers to get off and on. Once seated it really covers the miles in comfort. Range is also an issue, 4.4 gallons and about 45mpg at 75.

Not sure the R1200R has more range but it sure would be easier for a passenger to mount. I am lowering my ULY an inch or so to see what that does over the winter. thumbsup.gif

He is correct with stock seat, as I noted in my first post, for your use, I believe Russell Day Long is doing work for the ST. With a Russell Day Long seat for both you and wife, I think he would give a very different answer.

TONS of torque.
Yeah, and I think it's interesting to note that during a comparison of the Bandit 1250 and the K1200R Motorcyclist magazine noted that while the K1200R produced much more horsepower and was much faster in the 1/4 mile that the Bandit actually felt faster that the 1200R during typical street riding. The 1200R was given the nod as the more refined bike of the two (particularly regarding the suspension) but the Bandit ended up winning the comparo primarily due to its great driveability and much lower price. Makes me want to test ride one.

tRIUMPH is making a bagger naked Rocket III

Oh..oh..wait a minute...that'll be waaaay over the 500# dealie...

Okay - how 'bout the ST3 Duc...got all the right parts in the suspension and a very willing mill...hardbags and comfort galore thumbsup.gif

What's not to like? eek.gif

Hec, they've got a new black 2006 up here in DullMoan for less than $11000/w/bags.

Then you could come and visit too.!! clap.gifclap.gif

I wish sometimes I could toss 100lbs off the RT, but in the end, it makes it a stable and comfortable bike. Ultimately the wheels and suspension parts don't get a lot lighter, but a heavier bike has proportionally less unspring weight, which can give a smoother ride.

All of these lighter bikes will have a lot less wind protection... but so does the 950 adventure.

A lot of riders swear by the VFR. I've seen a lot of couples ride all afternoon on them.

Wow, you want a light wight bike (well medium weight) that is roomy enough for a tall guy and can comfortably go coast-to-coast 2-up and has >=100HP.

That could be a short list you know...

Personally I really like the VFR, it might just fit you.

Other than that, the R1200R might be a very good choice but it is a BMW and some people don't like 'em. I hear.

The V-Strom 1K would fit the bill too, it's just SOOO ugly and the dual high pipes + bags would make the rear really wide. Looks even more goofy.

Too bad the FZ1 doesn't have the fuel range you want, it's and excellent MC. Many people like first gen better than the current version...

--

Mikko

I own three bikes and one of them is a 2006 955i Triumph Daytona for sports riding on the mountain roads around here. The Beemer is no fun there, trust me.

The Triumph Sprint 1050 is an awesome bike with torque to die for and a comfortable riding position. These triples are wonderful motors, strong down low for lugging passengers and lots of luggage, but will rev like an in-line four if you want to have fun. Seriously stong engine.

Factory side cases available, great (low) fuel consumption and no real problems on a well worked out engine package other than keeping the drive chain lubed occasionally.

I'd have one tomorrow...

Linz smile.gif

A very good friend and owner of an ST says no chance two up cross country. I respect his opinion and he has every reason to sell me on an ST.

Everyone to his own but we (both of us are 51) did 9,000 miles in less than five months on our ST, through all sorts of conditions (heat, cold, rain and wind) and believe we have the best possible bike. Some very long days (over 10 hours in the saddle) and no complaints. We do have a custom seat from Rich's in Seattle but everything else is stock.

Whip, consider an 1150RS.

Fairing, just a touch over 500lbs, bmw luggage, ABS etc and about 220 to the tank. They're cheap used too.

Or, hell, fly out here and buy my VSTROM 1000. I'll make you a righteous deal on it.

Another delusional night, Matt? grin.gif

Whip, just build yer own bike.

It's the only way you'll get exactly what you want.

Why not? Jack, Eric, et al did it.

Why not you? cool.gif

Francois_Dumas

Dunno, I'm still happy with our RT (and probably would be with an additional V-Strom or GS, I like both).

Nina and I sat on the ST4 a while ago... Dutch women don't really fit on them, but for Nina it was okay. Still, it felt a wee bit small for me. I didn't ride it, but I think it would put too much pressure on my wrists. Would have to try one 'in the wild' for a day or so to confirm.

Whip, sounds to me like you already found her - just spoon on a set of Anakees or Tourances on the KTM and you are ready to roll.

I'm doin that now. The KTM is stayin.

It's the FJR that needs to lose some weight.

But thanks.

Maybe two KTMs is the answer.

Whip, I owned an ST4s for a bit and used it for canyon carving fun and also as my primary touring mount. It excelled at both except that I found insufficient leg room on the 500 miles days because of the seat to peg ratio. And I'm guessing that your legs are longer than mine, so that might be a problem.

Whip, I owned an ST4s for a bit and used it for canyon carving fun and also as my primary touring mount. It excelled at both except that I found insufficient leg room on the 500 miles days because of the seat to peg ratio. And I'm guessing that your legs are longer than mine, so that might be a problem.

I know the Tuono would never make it two up, but how does the leg room compare to the ST4S?????

One thing that would bother me traveling on a KTM and some others, is standard wire spoke wheels with inner tubes in it. Larry, I know you traveled and had no problems, but I hate the idea of standing on the side of the road with a punctured tube in the tire. I may be wrong, but I think tire punctures are still more frequent than rear drive failures grin.gif

The ST is a great bike!!

Well, different strokes for different folks. My wife and I have ridden to/from Chicago to FL on my ST and it was great, She even likes the stock seat!

One thing that would bother me traveling on a KTM and some others, is standard wire spoke wheels with inner tubes in it. Larry, I know you traveled and had no problems, but I hate the idea of standing on the side of the road with a punctured tube in the tire. I may be wrong, but I think tire punctures are still more frequent than rear drive failures grin.gif

I carry extra tubes.....and when I went to Alaska I had the rims treated so they didn't need tubes.

Almost worked too....got me within 80 miles of my house.

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I know the Tuono would never make it two up, but how does the leg room compare to the ST4S?????

If you lower the pegs on the Tuono, it has more room. Still rough on my old racquetball-battered knees, though, beyond 350 miles or so.

Whip, if you can wait until spring time, consider the KTM 690 Adventure. Less than 100 hp but also ~100 pounds lighter than your KTM so performance should be comparable. Luggage available, large tank and WoW what a dual sport when riding alone.

Here's one that doesn't get much respect, but it's a good all-rounder and goes down the road as well as anything. Aprilia Caponord, it just needs better brakes and less front end dive, although it's comfortable, handles well, has a bullet-proof motor, and has about the same power/weight ratio as a 12GS.

Or maybe turn an HP2 into a touring bike, big tank, Touratech bags, good seat, a windshield, different tires, and lower it a couple of inches. The perfect bike. cool.gif

A 6 gallon tank is a deal breaker for most bikes that meet your other criteria.

Perhaps you should keep the FJR and start working out. tongue.gifgrin.gif

I think it's time for 3 bikes.

Keep the KTM, and get an LT for 2 up, and a 675 3umph for carving. thumbsup.gif

Whip,

It doesn't sound like there is a suggestion that suits your fancy so...why not start your own motorcycle company and "roll your own?"

Cheers!

here you go...all your problems solved:

01-duet.jpg

chain drive, great mileage, many farkles available, great price point, easy to take pictures while moving, light,lite, etc, etc, etc. lurker.gif

here you go...all your problems solved:

01-duet.jpg

chain drive, great mileage, many farkles available, great price point, easy to take pictures while moving, light,lite, etc, etc, etc. lurker.gif

... AND if you pedal it from Texas to Alaska you're both guaranteed to loose weight! smile.gif

Whip,

Buell Ulysses deserves consideration. I haven't ridden one yet, but at 425lbs dry, 1200cc and 60mpg, it's got my attention. Its received great press including legroom and comfortable seat. 2up room is rated as better than most.

Dave

Archived