IGNORED

Which Octane is preferred?

yechave

Now that I am getting used to my r1100, I am learning to STOP riding it like a Honda. I shift earlier and downshift less. The bike seems happier, shifting seems smoother, and I'm doing less work. clap.gif

After a few years of 89 octane at the advise of the BMW dealer where I bought my '00 11RT, I switched to 87, this summer. I read on this board and others of owners running regular with no problem.

I can't tell the difference in performance and can't get it to ping. I bought the bike with 10k, and crossed 55k this week. I'll be tuning it in the next few weeks (if I can dismount long enough) and maybe the plugs will tell a different tale. Somehow, with the way she's been running, I doubt it.

Dave

Ride it like you stole it? Hmmmmm. I'd be more comfortable riding yours like I stole it. I'm still paying for this one. LOL. I do tend to go easy on equipment. I see the red line as a mark to stay way from, a boundary to avoid, rather than a goal to reach. But it sounds like I need to ride with generally higher RPMs. I just don't like the increased engine vibrations that result, but I'll try it.

I had the 24K and annual service done on this RT of mine two days ago at the local BMW shop. As part of that, I asked them to check the compression. They reported 185 in both cylinders and said that was within specs. I have no idea what the specs are but it struck me as odd that both cylinders were identically 185. Maybe that's typical. I would have expected one to be 185 and the other perhaps 183 or 186 or ....???

Maybe I have some carbon build up. Is there a way I can clean that out short of disassembling the engine? What about engine timing? I've asked around about that and have been told that there's no way to set or adjust the timing. That doesn't seem right to me. Maybe I can't do it, but surely someone can. I'm wondering if maybe that's off just a little, too.

I've taken this bike in to the BMW shop twice and asked the mechanics there to ride it and give me their evaluation as to the vibration I feel in the grips (seems like it is from the engine, but might be originating elsewhere in the drive train) especially when I am at a level cruise then roll off just slightly on the throttle. I feel a vibration that I never felt in my other bikes or Fern's RS. I was told not to worry about it until I could feel it in the FOOT PEGS. Do you think this might have something to do with carbon build up or bad ignition timing? Maybe something else?

My wife's RS is a different story. I don't know why, but that the best running boxer engine I've ever operated. Better than my old R1100RT and WAY better than my current 1150RT. It turns over fast, starts almost immediately, runs smooth with good acceleration. I can't keep up with her unless she wants me to. Rode a friend's K1200RS yesterday. Boy, loved that smooth engine. Reminded me of my very 1st BMW, a 2003 K1200LT, only a lot lighter. But I didn't like the riding posture. Too much pressure on my wrists and shoulders.

So, kick up the RPM a little more, check the timing, plugs already changed two days ago at the 24K service, figure out how to remove and prevent carbon build up. What else?

Ron

I feel a vibration that I never felt in my other bikes or Fern's RS. I was told not to worry about it until I could feel it in the FOOT PEGS.

The boxer certainly vibrates, but shouldn't be 'buzzy'. I would put money on your engine being transformed by the application of a very careful valve setting and throttle sync. The best way to achieve this is to do it yourself.

I nticed that AFTER the 24K service the vibration is not gone but seems to be diminished from what it had been. Perhaps is was the valve adjustment/TBS.

Thanks.

Ron

Archived