IGNORED

Trenton Report and clic-pics (of *course* it's long )

ChrisNYC

It was a muggy 80 degrees at 7.30am as I rode out of the city and headed north for Montreal. I rode the Palisades Parkway up to Bear Mountain, and then hopped on 9W north. Around Kingston the air cleared and suddenly it was a pleasant sunny 75 degrees. At Catskill NY, I switched over to the thruway and cut through Albany. I stayed on 87 until I got to Underwood NY, and then made a little scenic dog-leg on NY73 / 9N, and looped back to the thruway.

9W near Cornwall NY

9w_jpg.jpg

Near Jay NY

jaysmall_jpg.jpg

cloudsmall_jpg.jpg

A few miles before the Canadian border, I noticed my left turn signal indicator on the dash was flashing faster than normal. I checked all of my turn signals, the left rear was out. Great. I have no idea what to expect from the border guards, but I'd rather have all of my signals in working order going in. So I pulled into a rest area and decided to fix the bulb at my leisure instead of fretting under the suspicious eyes of a border official. And, of course, I had to unpack the bike to get to the taillight.

Fixing electrical goblins

elecsmall_jpg.jpg

Turns out the BMW toolkit had come lose in the tail fairing, and bounced around, working a wire lose. I fixed the connection, thank you Mr. Leatherman. Repacked the bike. Quebec, here I come! The only real moment at the border crossing was when the woman asked me for my license plate number. Just last week I installed my new plate, and I hadn't memorized it yet. Even worse, the new plate numbers for my two bikes are only one digit apart, so I felt the pressure. I hemmed and hawed, stammered the first letters, got stuck, tried to think about baseball wink.gif , and finally recalled the rest of the sequence. "Have a nice stay in Canada" she said. I was through, total time for border: maybe 7 minutes.

Welcome to Quebec

quebecsmall_jpg.jpg

I headed for Montreal. I had written down all my exit numbers, memorized my streets, so I felt I was prepared. Along the way most of the signs were in French and English, but some were only in French. I figured most of these out, but I'm still clueless as to what "Traveaux" means (sp? - construction?). As I headed into downtown Montreal, I was surprised by all of the traffic, because it wasn't indicated on any of my maps wink.gif . Despite my concerns of being run over backwards by a dumptruck ahead of me at an uphill stoplight, riding in downtown Montreal felt much like NYC, except that I felt like I was in Europe. I found myself people-watching at intersections as the streets and sidewalks filled with rush-hour Montrealians heading home from work. I made my way to my hotel, and checked for my fellow riders who I was supposed to meet. So far, I'm first. So I parked the bike, checked in, got out of my riding gear and headed out for dinner. I picked a nice table near the window as I watched the street scene.

Back at the hotel later I met up with Jim (BMWGreenRT) and his wife Maggie. The other riders couldn't make it for various reasons, so it was just the three of us. We went out for some dessert, then headed back to the hotel. Tomorrow's plan was to ride from Montreal to the rally in Trenton.

Thursday we left Montreal during the morning rush, my improving French-reading skills preventing me from making an illegal left turn (the sign in French said only taxis could do that during rush hour). The ride to Trenton was pretty uneventful. The geography and culture seemed to morph into boring USA-interstate style, and to pass the time I analyzed the road signs that listed the penalties for speeding: 120km/h = $100 fine. So let's see ... My exchange rate in Manhattan before I left was $98US = $140CAN, so that gets me to 74mph=$70US. And I've got maybe a 6% speedo error, and if 100km/h is about 62mph, so add some odo error and I can indicate maybe 66mph. Maybe I can go 110km/h (68mph). Add some error, maybe I can Throttle-Meister the RT at indicated 73mph or so. Ok. Glad I got that straight, so I can budget accordingly wink.gif .

At a cool and windy food stop we met another RT rider from South Carolina, who heard there was a rally up in this neck of the woods, but wasn't exactly sure where (gotta love BMW riders laugh.gif ). We got his bearings straight and left him to his coffee, and our trio headed back out. About 5 hours from Montreal Jim and Maggie and I pulled into the rally grounds in Trenton, sunny skies and 78 degrees (it was that way for the whole rally!)

Gotta be honest. My experience of the Trenton rally: I had a GREAT time, but I did not attend a single seminar, group ride, demo ride, poker run. I was just having too much fun on my own. I didn't see any of the bike-judging, apparel shows etc. I only went through the vendor area twice, and managed only to give Helen Two Wheels $50US more of my money (woulda been more but she ran out of what I wanted). I'd have to agree with others who felt that the vendor situation was sparse, but I wasn't buying much anyway so I didn't feel cheated.

So what DID I do? I hung out with the assembled RT.com'ers: ScottNJ staked out the camping area a day ahead of us, with GasStation nearby, and then Buck and Candi, Jim and Maggie, Bill D, steves, myself, Ted (PATech-Daze organizer). I tented next to an Oilhead GS guy and we had a great time talking shop.

happysmall_jpg.jpg

Many of us grabbed lunches and dinners together. For Friday's lunch, we happened to be seated outdoors at a restaurant right on the river that was the practice area for one of Canada's Search and Rescue Teams. As we were finishing lunch, we got front-row seats to see a group of divers jump out of a helicopter and parafoil down to the water.

airsmall_jpg.jpg

watersmall_jpg.jpg

I also spent a lot of time roaming the rally grounds, checking out all of the bikes, getting ideas for gadgets wink.gif , chatting with other rally folks. My impression was that there were a lot of oilheads, and not as many airheads as in previous rallies, but maybe I'm wrong. Of course there was other stuff: a K-bike painted all green with the John Deere logo on it, the Yamaha V-Max sidecar. Saw lots of women riders also. The weather was perfect all 3 days, not too many bugs, other than the earwigs that crawled into the pole-sleeves of my tent overnight. I HAD A GREAT TIME AT THE RALLY! I just didn't do much that was on the MOA schedule. Oh, I did win a door prize T-shirt. Can never have too much new clothing when camping wink.gif

The Hoo's all a-snooze

hoosmall_jpg.jpg

Friday night the group of us rode a scenic road about an hour out of town to have dinner. There's always some wise guy in every group who has to order the Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich, complete with Gummi Bears as garnish ... laugh.gif

Down on route 33 somewhere near Picton

33small_jpg.jpg

Dinner with the RT.com gang

dinnersmall_jpg.jpg

The waitress couldn't *believe* I wanted the pasta dinner *and* a PB&J

gummismall_jpg.jpg

Saturday morning steves and I left for home. The border crossing at I-81 going back into the US took longer than getting into Canada. The traffic had come to a standstill, and we couldn't tell how bad the situation was, but we knew it wasn't great. We debated our options, and decided it was best just to sit in the traffic jam standing in the hot sun laugh.gif . We took off all of our gear and lounged around as we waited for the next 'surge' in the traffic.

This would be a good time to turn the Oilhead OFF

waitsmall_jpg.jpg

I'm glad I read up on border crossings beforehand. I got a guard who was the most Doubting Thomas I'd ever seen, and had I not understood the nature of their duties, it would have been easy to take his demeanor personally. He asked all the predictable questions, but he listened to my answers so doubtfully that by the end, he was wagging my passport in his fingers and bobbing his head with such indecision and hesitation that it would have been easy to think that he was having grave reservations about letting this skinny kid with a pony-tail into the country. I knew their game, so I played it straight and didn't flinch or cower or kid around. He slowly handed me back my passport etc, and I pulled ahead off to the side to wait for Steve, whose guard was even worse laugh.gif It took us about an hour altogether.

We stopped in Watertown NY to hassle the waitresses at Cracker Barrel (I kid I kid ... they gave as good as they got. Steve was speechless laugh.gif ). We rode NY12 down towards Herkimer, and then jumped on the thruway. It was hot, and I hate riding in the heat, but we stopped to hydrate and rest as we needed. After Albany NY, Steve headed for the MA turnpike, and I headed south towards the home. It was 15 degrees cooler and the sun had gone behind some clouds and trees as I plied the Taconic Parkway home. The usual traffic jam was absent on the FDR into the city, and I pulled up to my home at 6.48pm. This whole trip was only 4 days long, but I think I had more fun per minute than most other trips. And now I've got some updating to do on my BTDT map ... my bike's been in a foreign country wink.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles),

Little KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black Boxer RT for Everywhere Else, such as...color=green>

canada75.gif

Hi Chris,

Welcome home and thanks for the report. What are we doing next spring???????time to start planning.

Chris, great report (as usual) and wonderful pictures. Sorry I had to head to the rally a day earlier, but I needed to head home from Trenton on Thursday afternoon.

Again, I missed the better part of a get-together! Ugh!

See you soon - Brian

BPeterson said I missed the better part of a get-together! Ugh!

And you were sorely missed too! Plenty of opportunities just waiting for an injection of BP mirth and merry-making joker.gif1drink.giflickout.gificon16.gifnaughty.gifbuck.gif

------------------

canada75.gif

Darn, Chris, I missed you when you were here in Chicaguh, and I missed you in Trenton. It was a good rally and a lousy trip. (don't ask)

I managed to hook up with Randy from Atlanta and his super family, and Marty Mayer from Ohio. Spent some time with Dan C. and said hi to Chris Long (Catattoo) and his lady. Tipped a few with Cory Kuehl (and wifey) from Wisconsin, Don Kramber from Minnesota, (Winona alumni) and tipped a few more with Shawn Goulding (loneRTrider) and Mitch Patrie. And of course, Chicago locals BMWRich58 and Ken and Kate Deline. Also Tom Moody from Belvidere. (no longer hopping)

Some how, I just couldn't seem to hook up with you folks in the back. I met Ted from PA who told me he was camped with Buck (Ohio) and Scott from NJ and a few others, but every time I looked for them, no one was there.

Chris, The next time you visit your old Evanston stomping ground, you gotta hook up with the crew. (and if you don't, we will all ride out to New Yawk and return with your pony tail as a prize!)

I'll bet that we finally meet you before we meet Mike Boomgarden though!

Lone_RT_rider

Your Kidding? All these people were there? Jeeeeeeeeeeese we have to do a better job of being organized next time! *sigh*

Shawn

Hey Chris,

Great report...once again, I sit sulking in my office imagining all the opportunities I missed by not being able to make Trenton and now it really hurts that I won't make Gunnison either!!!

Oh well, I guess I'll have many other opportuntities to give Brian and Jim a hard time! laugh.gif

Hope to see you all soon.

David,

Just think, I have to wait till next spring to give those 3 a hard time. You can hook up with them any time. Miss all of you. Sorry none are coming to gunnison.

Chris, sorry I missed you at the rally. When I finally got some free time I stopped by the rt.com camp and met gasstation and ziggy, and another RT'er (whose name eludes me at this moment). they said something about you abandoning them for some chick you met and hadn't seen you for days. naughty.gif

see ya next year!

Nice work, Chris. I noticed that you pulled far off the road for the pix, harking back to your admonition to us on that great ride at Mayhem.

I sure wish you were coming to Gunnison. It would be good to see you again.

sig said they said something about you abandoning them for some chick you met and hadn't seen you for days.

Yeah, that's it ... wink.gif

Actually, as I mentioned in my ride tale, I thought there were more women riders at this MOA than others I've been to. Definitely a nice break for the eyes after scanning acres of airheads, oilheads, and grizzled old beemer riders living in tents who haven't showered in a few days eek7.gif

Looks like we all get an "F" Rendezvous 101 ... we'll do better next time, I'm sure!

------------------

canada75.gif

Great report Chris. Looks like there were even more bmwrt.com'ers that we missed. Next time -- taller flag!

Sorry you got stuck in all that traffic at the border. We decided not to wait and took the bridge at Ogdensburg. Boy, Canada has some funky bridges. This is the Ogdensburg bridge we took back.

http://www.ogdensport.com/bridge.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/programs_and_Divestiture/Bridges/En/Ogdensburg_Prescott.stm

The entire length is that metal grating that you can see through. It's even got bends in it. What a wild ride.

On the way in, we crossed at I-81. That's one of the highest and narrowest bridges I've ever been on. It was almost scary.

http://www.tibridge.com/facts.htm

The pictures do not do either bridge justice. I'd almost take a ride up there just to see them again. Crazy, eh?

SCOTTinNJ said We decided not to wait and took the bridge at Ogdensburg.

What was the wait like? Steve and I considered that option, but the only guarantee in doing that was that we were adding mileage (out of our way) with no guarantee of a shorter wait to cross over ...

The I-81 Bridge was definitely a scenic high point, too bad we couldn't stop to take pictures. Anyway, at that point I was just glad to be MOVING ...

Love your new avatar xyxthumbs.gif

------------------

canada75.gif

In reply to:

I managed to hook up with........

Oops, I almost forgot Gary O. and Lynne from Minnesota.

(thanks for that little favor, Gary!)

Me oops also ... John Harvey and Leo Flor were camped right behind me under those big beautiful trees. If I remember correctly, those two spent days and days traveling to get to the rally wink.gif

I'm sure I'll remember more names and faces once the Cocoa Pebbles kick in ...

------------------

canada75.gif

Chris, there were hundreds and thousands of cars in front of us -- make you feel better?

Actually, there were about 5. It was well worth the extra miles. Especially because we were then able to shoot down 30 through the Aderondacks. smile.gif

SCOTTinNJ said Especially because we were then able to shoot down 30 through the Aderondacks.

OUCH. That hurts, man ... frown.gifwink.gif

John Harvey

Chris;

Thanks, I was feeling a little left out. Denis Shelston "Dshel" Tim Glass, Dave Lewis (won the New Zealand Trip draw - bastard) were also in attendance. All Canuck's

We had the post-rally coffee meeting last night, everyone had a good time.

John Harvey said Thanks, I was feeling a little left out

Just another 'senior moment' for me... and I think you were the first one I met when I arrived! I didn't have my camera out yet, so just now I'm remembering people & places and food that I didn't get on film . I had a great trip up into your neck of the woods up there in canada2.gif

wink.gif

Hey Chris - nice report. Sorry I didn't see you after registration day. For me this was the longest ride in my short BMW riding career.

What I was most impressed with was how good I felt after riding about 8 hours on my RT. I rode up from Jersey and then got off the bike and spent the night talking to people and walking around. I think my body felt better after being on the bike than it would have riding in my car.

One of the day trips I went on was the Peterborough Lift Locks. Impressive!

users.garden.net/mach4media/bmw/lock/lock.htm

Jeff

russell_bynum

In reply to:

I think my body felt better after being on the bike than it would have riding in my car.

I've definitely found that to be the case. I rode a shade over 1200 miles in about 18 hours once. Slept well, then felt fine the next day. If I drive 18 hours, I'm stiff and sore for a while.

Jeff, glad to hear that you and the RT are physically sympatico wink.gif

One of the day trips I went on was the Peterborough Lift Locks. Impressive!

Looks v-e-r-y interesting, reminds me that I've been kicking around a tour idea to follow the Erie Canal ...

------------------

canada75.gif

Nice report, Chris. I missed meeting a lot of the RT group but a few of us did hook up for the attached photo. It was my first MOA rally and I thought it was great. Even managed to work in a SS1000 and a BB1500 on the way home. It was hard to have to go back to work this week!

68303-trenton.jpg.769b4ca291e664416f6d834f265d296e.jpg

Sorry I missed you and other members of the site in Trenton. Brian and I bugged out early. Bugs being the operative word.

We left Trenton about 3pm. We split up somewhere near Scranton late that evening. Brian heading on to NJ, and me to the closest Hampton Inn. I arrived home the following night. Looong day in the saddle. Great times, great friends, great food.

Regards

Neal

Nice post Chris. Good to see you & the gang again, too. I am a little disappointed that there were so many other bmwrt.com people there that we didn't get to meet, but maybe next time.

BTW, I don't know how much you'll enjoy the Erie canal ride as lots of it is missing at this point. But if you do seek it out you had better let me know. Parts of it come within 20 miles of my house, which beats the hell out of sleeping in a tent!

We finally got home from our Canadian Maritimes tour late last night. It was absolutely incredible-even better than the rally if you can believe that. I'm currently writing my journal of the trip which I will post to this forum complete with pictures later this week.

Titan - As for the article in the Toronto Star, they lied. Candi and I were part of the crowd and we both have tattoos!

Buck said We finally got home from our Canadian Maritimes tour late last night.

Welcome back, that was quite a ride you two took! Can't wait for the post ...

------------------

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as...color=green>

canada75.gif

Archived