IGNORED

Altitude?

mflora

With meticulous valve and TB adjustment, Denso iridium plugs and the mustard yellow CCP, my 2002 1150RS ran perfectly in El Paso at 4000 feet, at times up to 9500 feet. Moved to Austin, (1000 feet?) and she is surging again. Not bad but noticeable. I believe the green CCP is slightly richer than the yellow, and of course none is richer yet. Any central Tx riders with advice on how to proceed?

You did indeed get the hub insert from me.

After a TB sync, I find that the smoothness of the engine fades away after a time I feel like it's time to repeat the process. It's not that the engine runs badly; it's just slightly less than perfect. I usually do the sync at 5000km (3000ml) intervals rather than redo it regularly.

There's one sure way to solve the surging problem and that's learn to live with it. If your engine is still running and aceelerating smoothly, leave the syn until next time that it's due and then you'll be able to determine whether there is a relationship between surging and altitude.

You may want to try resetting the motronic......Pull the #5 fuse, wait a minute, reinsert, turn on key, engine OFF, roll throttle full open/closed/full open/closed.

This will reboot the motronic to default and allow you to train it for the altitude it is living at now. Might not do anything, might richen it right back up. For the 2 minutes it takes, could be worth the effort. Good Luck!

• 10 months later...

Didn't I read somewhere in this board about a Motronic reset? It might be an issue with the recent change in fuel and altitude. I don't know, however, if that would even apply to a bike as new as yours. Probably not. Either way, someone will be along shortly to correct me, I'm sure.

Yeeha! Stephen

Did you have the Reformulated Gas out in El Paso?

It's Summer and it's junk gas time in the towns with "Ozone Action" problems.

My RT runs great out your way (& NM, Colo) but runs like crap in DFW, Houston, San Anton... all because of that EPA mandated gas. Yuk!

If it improves when cooler weather gets here, you know that's it.

With meticulous valve and TB adjustment, Denso iridium plugs and the mustard yellow CCP, my 2002 1150RS ran perfectly in El Paso at 4000 feet, at times up to 9500 feet. Moved to Austin, (1000 feet?) and she is surging again. Not bad but noticeable. I believe the green CCP is slightly richer than the yellow, and of course none is richer yet. Any central Tx riders with advice on how to proceed?

There's got to be something else. I've riddent my bike at 12,000ft and sea level and don't notice any difference (in terms if surging being introduced). Is there a difference in fuel quality you're getting in Austin vs. El Paso? Heat?

Mike O

Archived