IGNORED

Canbus Won't Run My 12VDC Air Pump

bmurphypdx

I've tried two different 12VDC compressors connected to my accessory socket to pump up a flat tire. No other farkles have been added to the bike (07 R122ST).Each ran for literally a few seconds before shutting off. They each run again for a few seconds when I cycle the key. I've also tried running the pumps with the engine started. Same result - the pump runs for maybe two seconds and shuts off. Seems like a breaker is flipping. Yes, I did read the heated vest post below. I think this might be different. I understand the compressor draws 10 amps max. Also I did try starting the bike first and then plugging into the accessory socket. It made no difference. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

I've tried two different 12VDC compressors connected to my accessory socket to pump up a flat tire. No other farkles have been added to the bike (07 R122ST).Each ran for literally a few seconds before shutting off. They each run again for a few seconds when I cycle the key. I've also tried running the pumps with the engine started. Same result - the pump runs for maybe two seconds and shuts off. Seems like a breaker is flipping. Can anyone explain this?

Thanks.

Check your manual and see what the accessory socket is rated for. I use a Cycle Pump through my RT's socket without any problems, but sockets on Hexheads have different ratings, depending on the bike. I believe the RT's is 10 amps(?).

First off, CANBus has nothing to do with the operation of your compressor. This is in another post elsewhere so I won't repeat it.

That being said, what you are experiencing is the bike sensing an "over-current" condition and shutting that circuit down. This is completely normal.

Your ST can only handle up to a 5 amp draw on its circuit. The same shut down will occur if you plug in a Gerbing jacket or some other high current draw item.

The best thing to do is add a fuse block that is triggered off the bike. You will then have the ability to run any farkle you like without this occurring as well as not having to worry about draining the battery in the event you forget to shut something off. Another option is to just connect the socket direct to the battery ot use clips from the pump to the battery.

Here is an explanation of CANBus: LINKY

OK. The manual does say 5A maximum. Geez, that's pretty wimpy. The heated vest post below does provide a means to bypass the circuitry. I'll check into that. Just was hoping this would be "plug n play" No such luck, I guess.

Easy to do this:

123254370-L.jpg

Just to the left of the Centech (red wire side) you can see the wire junctions for the relay. Relay tucks in there very neat and out of the way.

I've tried two different 12VDC compressors connected to my accessory socket to pump up a flat tire. No other farkles have been added to the bike (07 R122ST).Each ran for literally a few seconds before shutting off. They each run again for a few seconds when I cycle the key. I've also tried running the pumps with the engine started. Same result - the pump runs for maybe two seconds and shuts off. Seems like a breaker is flipping. Can anyone explain this?

Thanks.

Check your manual and see what the accessory socket is rated for. I use a Cycle Pump through my RT's socket without any problems, but sockets on Hexheads have different ratings, depending on the bike. I believe the RT's is 10 amps(?).

RT is 10 amp, ST and GS are 5 amp. I'm not sure about the GT, and the LT doesn't have CANBUS.

I installed a 2nd accessory socket next to the factory one and had it wired direct to the battery.

I installed the "optional" rear area plug on the RT but wired it directly to the battery with a fused line. Works fine and does not require the ignition to be on.

Archived