IGNORED

Alaska anyone?

dhanson

Just thinking out loud here! How many of you have thought about using the Un-Rally VII as a stage to Alaska? The timing is right, for me half the mileage will be done, hmmmm.

I would need another bike (don't really want to beat up my GT, ha), which raises another question, KLR650, Versys, Buell ugy, GS?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I won't have the time...

On another note, BeniciaRT_GT and I have joked that we should hold one at the Arctic Circle. Show up on a specific day and get the shirt and the picture. Unclaimed shirts would be soaked in Gasoline and burnt at the end of the window. grin.gif

I won't have the time...

On another note, BeniciaRT_GT and I have joked that we should hold one at the Arctic Circle. Show up on a specific day and get the shirt and the picture. Unclaimed shirts would be soaked in Gasoline and burnt at the end of the window. grin.gif

BTDT

I didn't burn his shirt...I gave it to 1bmwfan.

197726691-L.jpg

Ride Tale to begin this week..

I've been thinking about it ever since hearing where UN 7 is going to be held. From the Chicago area, it looks like Alaska would slightly more than double the trip, adding about 4,500-5,000 to the approximately 4,000 mile trip. (not including miles ridden at the Un.)

Up till now, 2 separate 5,000 mile trips are the longest I've taken, but those were before my stroke. Like I said, I've been thinking about it, but also wondering if it would be biting off more than I can or would want to chew. After taking no trips in '04, I've been doing about 15,000 miles a year, and Chicago - LasVegas - Torrey - Chicago has been my longest trip. (after the stroke)

Well, I've got lotsa time to think about it.

Chicago - LasVegas - Torrey - Chicago

Actually, it was Chicago - Canandaigua NY - Chicago (1 day at home) - LasVegas - Torrey - Chicago.

go for it.

A firm uh, maybe! wink.gif

Just thinking out loud here! How many of you have thought about using the Un-Rally VII as a stage to Alaska?

Any chance one has to go to Alaska is WONDERFUL.....GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

Any bike can make it.... it just never will be the same lmao.giflmao.gif

i like whips idea about the artic circle and a t-shirt, in any case i have set Inuvik as my target for next year in june and also plan to catch the soltice party in Dawson city... if i am a good boy i may also be allowed to come to the UN...

i have set Inuvik as my target for next year in june and also plan to catch the soltice party in Dawson city... if i am a good boy i may also be allowed to come to the UN...

That's a GREAT combo clap.gif

168271484-M.jpg

168802158-M.jpg

168434741-M.jpg

168480126-M.jpg

198794024-M.jpg

You'll have a ball!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

On no, there she goes with the pictures again!

Getting on a bus in Shreveport at midnight, 14 hours to Chanute, Ks and "Honda of Chanute", pickup a 2008 Versys, breakin gently on the way home (481 miles). Might run at night to stay ahead of the approaching front. wave.gif

nice pick, i think the versys is a nice package, but the lack of a 19" front wheel took it off my list of DS bikes, still better looking than a DL STroooooom,... now them things is really ugly

i'll be taking a 98 funduro when i do my assualt on the dempster...

I'm planning my trip with my son to AK. Selling my RT with it in mind. Looks like I will replace it with a KTM 950/90. Bikes that I have considered have been the V-Strom, Multistrada, GS and KTM. Also, I'll be taking my Suzuki DR650. I'd take a KLR650 or the F650 as well. All these bikes are more than capable for the trip. As one person told me, "any bike will work, it's the attitude you take with you that counts". I've been looking to replace my RT with something new and I've used my Alaska trip as an excuse to narrow down my choices for the bike I'll buy this time. I don't need the smaller displacement bikes since I've already got the DRsixfiddy. Replacing it with a GS or ADV or the Multi have been the logical choices for me. The weight of the KTM and the Multi were my next decision helpers. The KTM fits my dirt tendencies better than the Multi. I haven't purchased yet and while I'm leaning toward the KTM but I could still change my mind since I've been dreaming of a Duc almost as long as I'd dreamed about my Beemer.

Have a great trip!!! I can't wait. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Picked up Versys Wednesday 17th, between rain showers. Made it to Grove, Ok. Huge storm came through. Spent night.

Next Morning Jay, Ok - Noel, Ar then Bentonville, Ar and the BMW dealer. They had a new 2007 F650GS red, really pretty!

Breakin on the Versys is 4000rpm (about 55mph) till 500 miles so I stayed on back country roads and mountains as much as possible! Great views and ride, 600 miles home.

Best roads, 43 from OK, 90 AR, 64 AR, 27 AR. Great handling bike love it!

This black racer tried to beat me across the road, I dodged him and made a quick U-turn cut him off and held him up long enough to get my camera out.

943037-IMGP1302_edited.JPG.36808dea680c8cc93bd006bf38895ea6.JPG

Well now, I see your wife is feeling very generous letting you get yet another ride. grin.gif

Enjoy. thumbsup.gif

I'm treading on new ground here for sure! Everything mechanical is temporary. Just had a couple of "Peeps", nap time!

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck on your AK trip. I did it in 2000 on my 1998 H-D Electra Glide Classic, along with my buddy on his K1200LT.

At the time I also had a 1986 K75T, but nixed on riding it because I felt that the Harley would be more comfortable. I weigh less than 160# and am about 5' 6" tall- point being, most any dependable bike will do as long as long as one has a good,positive attitude. Our trip was about 11,000 miles and took us 6 weeks in total. I was 62 and my buddy was 64.

While we never had any kind of a mechanical problem or spill, I would strongly recommend that you go with a friend, in case of an emergency. Best wishes on what will be a major milestone in your motorcycle ventures!

1999 LT on the return trip from the haul road. I ditto the statement that the bike will not be the same once gone to Alaska. thumbsup.gif

Clicky above on attachment. Sorry not good with the photo shop folks to download pictures to the thread.

954865-DSC03380.JPG.9fb3baf568dd289adafdcd8b2927bdac.JPG

1999 LT on the return trip from the haul road. I ditto the statement that the bike will not be the same once gone to Alaska. thumbsup.gif

What a mess that road makes, YIKES!

AdventurePoser

If you are going to stick to main roads in AK, and not do much "off roading" there is no reason you cannot take your GT.

About six years ago I rode about 10,000 miles all around the very far northwest on a '96 GS because I didn't want to take my RT. As my trip turned out, there would have been no reason to NOT take the RT...

Whatever you ride, have fun. Going to Alaska, especially if you can spend some time there, will change your life.

Steve in So Cal

What a mess that road makes, YIKES!

Yes it did and I planning part II. It may not be next year or in five years, but I will return. One great motorcycle trip. If I just did not have a wife and kids. Just kidding, seriously just kidding. dopeslap.gif

Yes it did and I planning part II. It may not be next year or in five years, but I will return. One great motorcycle trip. If I just did not have a wife and kids. Just kidding, seriously just kidding. dopeslap.gif

HAAAA, yep, that is why I will not be jumping from the Un-Rally on Northward. So much to do, so little time/money. lmao.giflmao.gif

HAAAA, yep, that is why I will not be jumping from the Un-Rally on Northward. So much to do, so little time/money. lmao.giflmao.gif

Spend your wife's money. lmao.gif

The wife has a new bike so he can go now and I can still get to ride while I'm here! clap.gif

I guess I've been sleeping. You have a new bike?

Where are the pictures? What are the details? Spill you guts Jean. wave.gif

Well I took the MSF course and I went and got my license and then David bought me a Suzuki Boulevard S40 for my Birthday! I have been riding a little when I'm not working. I hope to move up to a BMW 650GS someday!

P.S. David has already changed the needle in it and given it more power, she runs great!

958822-S40.jpg.f1a2daa4bab2760eddbcfd45d3910e84.jpg

Well, well, well. He is already tinkering with "YOUR" bike is he? grin.gif

But still no picture? Come on now, he knows how to take a picture and post hit here. wave.gif

Congrats on the new ride. Ride well and start looking for that 650. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived