IGNORED

Passenger prone to falling asleep

yechave

I wondered if there are any devices on the market made speficially to alert the driver if the passenger is dozing off. My companion is too prone to this, we only have the bike a couple of weeks and planning a trip the end of the month.

I was considering a loud alarm tethered to both of us.

Anyone else had to deal with this issue?

Thanks!

Knocking of the helmets together is normally a pretty good indicator...

grin.gif

This used to happen to me all the time when my girlfriend rode with me. She was a great pillion, but she fell asleep regularly on longer trips, especially long days on the slab. I just reached down to the side of her leg and gave her a very gentle tap so not to startle her and she was fine.

But yeah, it's weird when her helmet clunks into the back your your helmet. eek.gif

My GF is prone to "other things" when the motor is between 3k and 4k on the tach.

Apparentely there is a slight vibration issue..........

Sleep?

Nope............ lmao.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
I wondered if there are any devices on the market made speficially to alert the driver if the passenger is dozing off. My companion is too prone to this, we only have the bike a couple of weeks and planning a trip the end of the month.

Thanks!

A comm system would be nice. Sometimes it's kinda boring for the passenger, so if you can talk directly to each other, that helps keep them awake.

Thanks!

It you are worried about him/her falling off, I think it is a non-issue. For years I've had many pillions do it, and have heard of hundreds of others. Donna, my current pillion does it all the time. Yet I've never ever heard of a passenger/pillion falling off a motorcycle from having fallen asleep. I think even though a person is asleep on a bike they still keep a natural subconscious sense of balance going. I have a sister who has a son who slept on the back of her Harley for 1000s of miles from the time he was 4 to he got his own bike at 14.

My pillion has dozed off a few times. I don't think she would fall off but I sure do not want to test that hypothesis. We are getting an intercom -- until then I find the time she is most susceptible is (no surprise) after lunch particularly on a warm day. My approach for now is to reach back and gently tap her on the lower leg. She knows to respond with a squeeze (geez I really love that!!). If she does not, I immediately pull over. Now she knows to respond or we will come to a halt.

My wife nods off all the time.

If she wants a longer nap, she puts her left arm around my waist, and I trap it with my left arm, and she feels more confident, I lean forward a bit and she turns her head sideways against my back and off she goes to sleep. crazy.gif

Thanks!

Danielle sleeps on the back of the bike all the time. Sometimes for an hour or more at a time. I have got into the habit of making sure she is awake before hitting any agressive twisties, but other than that.......I just let her sleep. She isn't going anywhere.

I used to sleep on the back of my Dad's Goldwing (I know it would be like falling out of an easy chair) all the time when I was younger. When I was about 9-10, we took a long weekend trip up to the mountains of northern PA and I think I slept more than I was awake. I guess it was just never a concern.

My GF is prone to "other things" when the motor is between 3k and 4k on the tach.

Sleep?

That's why girls like Harleys! thumbsup.gif

My girlfriend at the time slept thru most of Idaho on one trip. She could sleep anywhere and anytime and had no trouble sleeping on the back of the bike. I did wonder about using a bungee cord to strap her in...

My wife snoozes on the longer boring stretches too. We're looking at getting an intercomm for next season.

I told her how you can hook up the GPS, iPod, Cell Phone, XM Radio and even radar detector. She rolled her eyes... "will the toys never end".

Francois_Dumas

Intercom.

But it doesn't seem to be real dangerous. Nina dozes off too. I ask her if she's awake through the intercom when things go silent for a while. That wakes her up ! lmao.gif

Sleep?

That's why girls like Harleys! thumbsup.gif

And if a little enhancement is needed there's always linky.

As for detection of PNS (Pillion Napping Syndrome)-- I'd always figure it out when my lower back started hurting from her leaning against me!

As for long stretches on the slab -- well, here's how we "rode" across Kansas:

DSC02028.jpg

Happens all the time with my girlfriend. As long as she is comfortable with it and it doesn't interfere with my controlling the bike I just let it be.

Jerry Johnston
I wondered if there are any devices on the market made speficially to alert the driver if the passenger is dozing off. Thanks!

Maybe "Beano" lmao.gif

For some passengers it get's boring because they can't see except form the side. Mine uses an ipod to listen to her favorite music. Made all the difference in the world.

"I hope to die during a sound and peaceful sleep just as my airline pilot grandfather did...

....not screaming in terror like his passengers."

AdventurePoser
My wife nods off all the time.

If she wants a longer nap, she puts her left arm around my waist, and I trap it with my left arm, and she feels more confident, I lean forward a bit and she turns her head sideways against my back and off she goes to sleep. crazy.gif

Same here. The Lovely Flame has slept hours on the RT and it has never been an issue. Yes, we have an Autocom and even with music she tends to get a bit drowsy. When she does, a short nap leaves her awake and refreshed.

Still, it does make me a little nervous. She is pretty small, and I cannot really feel her back there. I'm glad she doesn't sleep in the twisties!

Steve in So CAl

Archived