IGNORED

Throttle stop screw adjustment.

Rydrhard

I have a 2000 Rt and have not totally agreed with Bob Lentini's zero=zero adjustment to stop low RPM surging, but I did it and it worked. Problem is the idle speed was always too high 1200+RPM. The air by-pass screws were always bottomed to get this RPM. I have set the TPS voltage to .336V and have about 1100RPM with the By-pass screws bottomed. I think that there should be a minimum air flow setting using the throttle stop screw and then the TPS is set to .395V. Then the TB's can be synched and the air by-pass screws used to correct idle speed and not be bottomed out. Does this make sense? If so how would one find what the minimum air flow setting should be? Only BMW knows? I hope this question has not been asked before.

I have a 2000 Rt and have not totally agreed with Bob Lentini's zero=zero adjustment to stop low RPM surging, but I did it and it worked. Problem is the idle speed was always too high 1200+RPM. The air by-pass screws were always bottomed to get this RPM. I have set the TPS voltage to .336V and have about 1100RPM with the By-pass screws bottomed. I think that there should be a minimum air flow setting using the throttle stop screw and then the TPS is set to .395V. Then the TB's can be synched and the air by-pass screws used to correct idle speed and not be bottomed out. Does this make sense? If so how would one find what the minimum air flow setting should be? Only BMW knows? I hope this question has not been asked before.

Rydrhard, You really should have a little control on those air by-pass screws.. It’s possible you have some worn throttle shaft bushings or worn throttle shafts.. Try closing the throttle plates slightly using the base idle stop screws..

Maybe set the brass screws at 1 turn open then use the base idle stop screws to set the balance & idle speed.. Then set the TPS to .385v).. That will allow some air by-pass screw control..

I doubt there is a base air flow setting as it is usually speced out in throttle plate angle..

On the .395 volts TPS at base idle.. That is probably too high as it can come up a little with the engine running.. It can NOT be over .4 volts at any time while in base street idle mode.. (probably about .385v would be a better setting) ..

Twisty

Thanks Twisty I'm going to try your method and see if I can have some air by-pass adjustment to set the idle speed.

Thanks again

RYDRHARD

Thanks Twisty I'm going to try your method and see if I can have some air by-pass adjustment to set the idle speed.

Thanks again

RYDRHARD

RYDRHARD, also make sure you have a little throttle cable slack.. A tight throttle cable can really mess you up on base idle settings..

Twisty

Twisty: I set the throttle stop screws (air by-pass screws bottomed) to get a base idle of 800RPM and synched. About 3/4 of a turn out from bottomed. Set the TPS to .385V. I made sure throttle cables were slack and set idle speed to 1000RPM and synched with the air by-pass screws,then synched the cables off idle. I have now the smothest, most stable idle this bike has ever had. throttle response is crisp and no stumble. Thanks Again

RYDRHARD.

Archived