IGNORED

GPS encoded photos

WestTX RT

I stumbled across this article in the Zumo forum. This is an interesting concept, I'm curious if anyone around here has tried it and has some examples of its' use.

Well that's clever. One of those simple things you don't think of, or at least I didn't (meaning the concept of simply matching time/date from external GPS tracklogs to EXIF data.) I'll definitely play around with that one of these days. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for that, seems there is a whole lot of toys out there that I was blissfully unaware of. Not sure if it's for the better, but I will definately explore this whole subject.

+1

Jurgen

skinny_tom (aka boney)

For a while, SmugMug could overlay thumbnails of your images over a google map and would draw line between them based on the time stamps too. Editing of the Exif data was done on the SumgMug interface.

Anyone know if this is still available?

I can't find the only example I know of.

• 2 months later...
I stumbled across this article in the Zumo forum. This is an interesting concept, I'm curious if anyone around here has tried it and has some examples of its' use.

I've updated that article since posting it originally and also added a new article that ties in well with the original:

Creating GPS encoded photographs - for free!

(NB: you don't even need to have a GPS/Sat Nav)

Geographical Placement (GeoTagging) your Photos in Google Earth

Comments, feedback and suggestions for additions/changes to the articles welcomed wink.gif

Thanks

Andy

• 2 months later...

Here's a really amazing example of what can be done with photos and a GPS.....linking GPS 'Track' data to photo 'time stamps' (in the EXIF data)

www.i-spog.com

(TIP: click on the route shown on the map to see photos at/nearest that location - click on photo thumbnails to see pointer on route map!)

Way beyond the means of most of us but a great project...here's a brief idea of how it's done:

-Access database that holds all gps and picture info.

-flash component to view everything (that's what you see on the website)

-flash component to make you interact with the database, upload GPS tracks, pictures etc

-yahoo maps API

-coldfusion server between flash and Access database

Archived